Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Spending Scottish money in England/Wales…
  • Houns

When i worked in retail scotch notage was widely used by those from a ‘travelling community’

DickBarton

I’d been told as long as the note said pounds sterling on it (or whatever it says) then it is legal tender and the banks would accept them. I’d also been told (but never believed) that English notes got a higher exchange rate than Scottish…until I was in Canada on honeymoon in 2005 and saw an exchange rate board…the English Sterling got a higher rate than the Scottish Sterling – I do have a picture of it somewhere but can’t find it.

I’m not fussed by it really…if they don’t want my money and have already served me it’s their problem, I’m offering to pay with acceptable currency…

Dougal
    Free Member

If having Scottish notes is such a problem for you folks, I’ll gladly take them off your hands. Address in profile.

CountZero

But then you’d be drinking it without the means to pay and that would probably be theft or similar

But he did have the means to pay, a perfectly legitimate item of paper currency. As pointed out legal tender and legal currency are not exactly the same.

proteus
    Free Member

I think you’ll find you sweaty socks are spending OUR money down here anyway.

Anyone who whimpers “but it’s our oil” in a barely understandable mangling of the Queen’s English can sniff my Barnett Forumla.

Cougar

just reading that definition of legal tender, it says that if you pay in legal tender no change can be demanded.

So if i bought something in england eg for £3.50 and paid with an english (legal tender) 5 pound note, could i be refused change (theoretically)

As I said earlier, “legal tender” doesn’t mean what most people think it means.

It has a very specific legal meaning pertaining to the settling of debts. Basically, if you offer to settle a debt using “legal tender” then you can’t subsequently be sued for non-payment. That’s essentially if.

It’s got nothing to do with regular purchases (for any practical purposes anyway), it’s down to an individual retailer to decide whether your offer is payment is acceptable. They’re quite within their rights to decline Scottish £20s or, for that matter, English ones. Even if they gave you the same note earlier on in the night.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Spending Scottish money in England/Wales…’ is closed to new replies.