• This topic has 110 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hh45.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Spending review – who's watching/listening?
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

TJ – Where are the 40% departmental cuts that you claimed were going to happen?

You were absolutely adamant!

You stated that these evil TORY cuts were:

Simple fact. Some depts will be less than 25% – but as 25% is the overall cut wanted then some depts will be 40%

In fact, the cuts announced are lower than the cuts that were proposed by Labour, got that, lower

You ran around for weeks playing chicken little, whilst some of us pointed out that you were talking shite, and that overall government spending was actually going to rise over the next five years – but no, you were adamant know it all runs around spouting chicken little panic stories from the left wing tabloids.

You repeatedly stated that the intention was a 25% average budget cut!

You were wrong!

admit it!

the-muffin-man

My niece works at Derby Uni and her boss readily admits that half the staff under him are either useless or lazy but he has no power to get rid of them. Consequently his department is virtually split into two – those that work, and the old guard who shove paper around waiting to retire.

Guess which will have to go when the cuts kits come?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

nick – sorry to disappoint but there’s unique quality of moaning on STW. A certain “edge” that no other forums have.

There are also some genuinely bright people who are great to argue with.

As for being a lone voice of truth – hmmm, never thought about that one.

Off to boast about my new title on another forum… 😉 😆

the-muffin-man

Any ideas where the private sector will generate circa 500,000 jobs?

The public sector could borrow a ****-ton of money and create them!?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

So that spending review was aimed at getting people into work was it…

My missus was swithering about going back to work after her maternity leave finished. The cut in the amount of the childcare element of the working tax credit from 80-70% means that she is better off not working. Must be a hell of a lot more like that too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Zulu – actually I am completely vindicated in what I said. ?This is exactly as I predicted

these cuts are far greater than those proposed by labour and are averaging around 25% with some depts as high as 40 % – exactly what I said as I was quoting the tory party and their propaganda organs.

Ok – it looks like the actual average cut is around 20% not 25%

Dept of sport media and balh is 41% cut.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure that you said that the cuts on average would be between 40 and 25% actually and were suggesting that it wouldn’t be towards the lower end…

Torminalis
    Free Member

actually I am completely vindicated in what I said. ?This is exactly as I predicted

TJ, you should go into politics mate, you would fit right in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

# About 490,000 public sector jobs likely to be lost
    # Average 19% four-year cut in departmental budgets

close to waht I predicted

Business, Innovation and Skills

Annual budget: £21.2bn

Outcome: Annual cut of 7.1% year. thus its pushing 30% over the 4 years ( I can’t do compound interest 🙂 )

Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Annual budget: £2.9bn

Outcome: 8% annual cut
    so thats well over 30% over 4 years

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Simple fact. Some depts will be less than 25% – but as 25% is the overall cut wanted then some depts will be 40%

Is what I said as nicely quoted by zulu

Now the figures are slightly less than that. The average cut looks to be around 20% some depts well over 30% and some 40%

Sounds fairly much as I predicted.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I can’t do compound interest

If you could then you would realise that the effect of it would be to bring the average cut down.

30% of x-30% is less than the original 30% of x.

backhander
    Free Member

Is what I said as nicely quoted by zulu

Now the figures are slightly less than that

Sounds fairly much nothing at all as I predicted.

Seriously……

clubber
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Outcome: Annual cut of 7.1% year.

thus its pushing 30% over the 4 years ( I can’t do compound interest )

Nope: 0.929 * 0.929 * 0.929 * 0.929 * = 0.745 eg 74.5% so a 25% cut.

so thats well over 30% over 4 years

Nope: .92^4 = .716 eg 71.6% so a 28% cut.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its still pretty much in line with what I predicted. Which is unsuprising seeing as I was quoting tory mouthpieces.

Edit – ta for the lesson in compound interest.

backhander
    Free Member

I shall call you the eel from now on TJ.

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – TJ just admit that you’re disappointed that it’s not the 40% across the board that you were suggesting it could be because that was one of the projections the depts had been asked to come up with 😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

TJ, see if you can pick out the inconsistencies in your own reply!

# Average 19% four-year cut in departmental budgets
    close to waht I predicted

Zulu – actually I am completely vindicated in what I said. ?This is exactly as I predicted
    these cuts are far greater than those proposed by labour and are averaging around 25% with some depts as high as 40 % – exactly what I said as I was quoting the tory party and their propaganda organs.

Ok – it looks like the actual average cut is around 20% not 25%

Dept of sport media and balh is 41% cut… in administration costs, not overall budget!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Call me what you like

What I said would happen is pretty much what has happened not suprising as I was quoting tory spokesmen
    Average of 20% not the 25% I quoted and dept cuts up to 40%

clubber
    Free Member

I think the point being made TJ is that you were being rather dramatic as usual and trying to talk up your case beyond what they’d said would happen which as it turns out (suprisingly TBH) seems to be exactly what they have said now…

(who’s got a link to the thread – can’t seem to find it)

backhander
    Free Member

So you’re ~20% inaccurate?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

From BBC:

Culture, Media and Sport

Annual budget: £2bn

What’s being cut: Budget cut 24% over four years. Administration costs to be cut 41% while core arts programmes will see a 15% fall in funding. Free museum entry to remain in place. BBC licence fee to be frozen for next six years. Corporation will also fund World Service and BBC Monitoring. Adds up to equivalent of 16% savings over the period.

Come on TJ – wheres the much vaunted 40%

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Clubber – I never said that – look at the quote from em that Zulu kindly provided.

Zulu – I am far closer to it that you were with your – “there will be no cuts mantra” – like to admit you were wrong?

I fully admit I said 25% average and its nearer 20% I did alsoi say that it was possible there was an element from the torys of say X % cuts then when you go for Xminus a bit cut people will be relieved.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

clubber – no as usual people were and are claiming I said things that I have not. Read the quote from Zulu that I said.

Scamper
    Free Member

Had Labour come up with proposed cuts for clearing their own mess up?

clubber
    Free Member

That’s just a single quote – I’m talking about the thread. Give me a link and I’ll happily quote (or retract should I be proven wrong…).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have no idea what thread you are talking about. That quote from Zulu is and was always my position.

clubber
    Free Member

Maybe, maybe not. Assuming we’re talking about the same thread, my reading of your comments was that you were suggesting that the 40% option that depts had been asked to prepare a report on was the position that they were driving to take and that 25% was just a lowest starting point.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Zulu – how about the 50 or 60 % cut in social housing?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

TJ, you’re floundering!

Labour’s proposed cuts amounted to 20%, and did NOT protect the areas ringfenced by the coalition.

Lets get this straight TJ, once and for all

i) The Evil TORY coalition cuts are lower than those proposed by Labour

ii) The Evil TORY coalition cuts are not the 25% average that you claimed they would be

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

well clunbbber that not what I have ever thought or said. People like to make up stuff they think I have said or will say

I merely quoted the troy spokesmen who said ” average 25% some depts 40% Not far from what has happened is it. There is still detail to come out yet

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Zulu – that is simply factually wrong. Logic failure as well.

clubber
    Free Member

clunbbber?

Let’s settle this – thread link, please!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Despite the hype today’s announcements mean very little. The real detail will be revealed as departments announce what programmes they are planning to cut.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

clunbbber sounds more friendly does it not? 🙂

Fat fingers.

I guess that zulu held onto the most damming quote he could of mine. I really doubt you will see anything more than that.

soobalias
    Free Member

heh, only on STW can 16%=18%=20%=25%=40% (especially funny when dealing in £bn)

incidently, black is actually the same as white and fish is the same as chips

the-muffin-man

Call me a thicko (and people often do!), but can someone explain how these cuts will work?

Scenario A)
    If department ‘x’ currently has a budget of £1m, and have to cut by 10%, they will operate on a budget of 900k in year 1. In years 2, 3 and 4 does their budget get cut by 10% each year meaning they will operate on £656,100 in year 4.

Or..

Scenario B)
    If department ‘x’ currently has a budget of £1m, and have to cut by 10%, they will operate on a budget of 900k in year 1. But in years 2, 3 and 4 will they still operate on a budget of 900k rather than the original £1m. But its still called a 10% cut as is lower than where they started?

Ta!

clubber
    Free Member

Scenario A usually and in the examples TJ quoted/calculated (incorrectly) above.

julianwilson
    Free Member

our dear NHS (The UK’s largest employer) is looking pretty safe.

[quote]

is it ****! I find the news about Thatcher in (a bupa) hospital today of particularly awesome irony and bad timing.

clubber
    Free Member

our dear NHS (The UK’s largest employer) is looking pretty safe.

No chance – though that’s the same regardless of which power-hungry self-interested bunch of greedy sods politicians had got into power…

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Zulu – that is simply factually wrong. Logic failure as well.

Hahahahahahaha – like saying that the cuts are “exactly as I predicted

Come on TJ – break it down, which of the following is factually wrong:

i) The Evil TORY coalition cuts are lower than those proposed by Labour

ii) The Evil TORY coalition cuts are not the 25% average that you claimed they would be

I suppose that actually they’re not wrong, they’re exactly as you predicted...

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Spending review – who's watching/listening?’ is closed to new replies.