Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spending a couple of days near Thetford this June. Is it worth it?
  • Scottlacey
    Free Member

Hi
    A few of us from work are thinking of spending a couple of sociable days ( drinking/eating and riding ) away from home this year. We live in Kent and only want about a three hour drive and somebody mentioned Thetford forest area.
    We need a couple of say 30mile ish rides and somewhere decent to stay (clean and cheapish near pub and food is good)

Any thoughts please/recommendations
    Scott

footflaps

Most of the decent single track is unsigned, the two main trails are in a very poor state and pretty dull, so you’ll need some GPS logs to follow.

Personally I wouldn’t travel to Thetford as there’s not much more than a couple of hours worth of decent stuff.

Scottlacey
    Free Member

If not Thetford any other suggestions?

Scottlacey
    Free Member

Aston?

stumpy01

Thetford is my regular riding spot. If you know the non-marked trails then there’s plenty there, but I am not sure if there’s enough for a couple of days. It is mainly twisty, flowing singletrack, with nothing too technical. You might not find it enough.

Depending on how far into Kent you are, I’d have thought you could get to the Cwm Carn/Afan area in 3hrs or up to the Peaks.

BermBandit
    Free Member

the two main trails are in a very poor state

Wouldn’t disagree in general with your comments footflaps, but you obviously haven’t ridden the Red route in recent memory. Pretty much all of it has been renovated and it is in very good highly rideable condition regardless of the weather conditions. That apart the region is predominately flat, so if you’re expecting sphincter tightening descents then its not the right place. Its about fast flowing single track and there are miles amd miles of it, but its a case of knowing where to look, and providing the motive power yourself.

toby1

Overall the area might also be a little lacking in other forms of civilisation. Something along the South Downs Way?

BillMC

I’d aim for the Peak District, stay in the Woodbine Cottage, drink in the Cheshire Cheese and ride in any direction.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thetford’s nice if you like it flat, but it’s not an area I’d go for a holiday.

Could you get down Dorset way in three hours? Or South Downs as suggested above?

The Surrey Hills would be a nice place for a weekend away actually, I think. Great trails, nice pubs, very scenic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spending a couple of days near Thetford this June. Is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.