Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spending a bit of a bitcoin?
  • maccruiskeen

Just wondering…. a bitcoin is worth several hundreds if not thousands of pounds.

Say something you want to buy costs £20. How do I pay for it in bit coins.

It comes to mind as I had a look at the Zeek website thats currently being quite heavily advertised post christmas – its a trading place for unwanted gift vouchers and at the bottom of their page they show
    that they accept visa, master card and bitcoin.

Given that unwanted iTunes vouchers and Starbucks cards are only worth about £20 are they expecting bitcoin customers to buy huge multiples of cards in one transaction or can you spend a fraction of a bitcoin?

Seems a bit, err, money-laundery

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Bitcoin. The “currency” that isn’t any use as a currency.

You can spend fractions, but given that transaction fees are currently astronomical, and there is a four day backlog in transactions, I would be surprised if anyone is accepting them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes a colleague of mine bought 0.1 BTC just so he could say he had bit coin…..(exactly how he put it across)

fruitloop.

footflaps

or can you spend a fraction of a bitcoin?

Yep, that’s how it works (or rather doesn’t work at all well as a currency).

Think of it a a tulip bulb worth tens of £1000, which you then slice up into tiny pieces to buy stuff with…..

jimjam
    Free Member

I don’t know much about Bitcoin but I believe bitcoin cash is designed to do what the op is asking, at least in theory.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

bitcoin cash is designed to do what the op is asking

Not really. It’s just a fork of Bitcoin with a bigger blocksize to try to get around the fact that Blockchain doesn’t scale (but really just delaying the inevitable).

It’s designed to make a select few people rich and that’s about it.

slowoldman

Is it like having a small poo in the matrix?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It’s a giant shit sandwich.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mate just took £8k profit. Real profit in real money. He messaged me as he wants to spend some on a new mtb ( 🙂 ) as he is finding the CX too harsh. He regarded it as a bet which imo was the right logic. Also HMRC regard it as betting and any profits are tax free (he sent me the link)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spending a bit of a bitcoin?’ is closed to new replies.