Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Spend my Money – £1,000 Halfords Bike to work voucher
  • shortcut

What should I get?

The options I have thought of at the moment are:
    1. Don't bother
    2. Buy a Boredman Pro MTB and put all the bits on a nice Cotic Soul frame I bought second hand a few weeks ago.
    3. Buy a Boredman Team Carbon road bike and ride it.
    4. Ask you lot for inspiration on a better idea.

Realistically it won't get used for work so practicality is not a big issue and i have a sensible bike for that should i feel so inspired.

Oh – and I am keeping what ever I buy so no gifting it to the deserving causes on here!

Cheers,

SC!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

In the same quandry here, with the same restriction on supplier.

I believe you can also get Halfrauds to source other bikes that aren't within their normal ranges but you have to pay RRP for 'em.

Tempted to get the road bike myself.
    What's the general concensus on 'em?

Cheers

poppa
    Free Member

The road bike should be good, but apparently very hard to find. Also you will need to get it set up by someone who knows what they are doing, and possibly get the wheels trued.

AlasdairMc

I've been looking at the GT Aggressor Elite for a similar idea, the benefit being that it has a Rev Maxle on it.

They will source other bikes from elsewhere, Leisure Lakes is their main supplier I believe.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Option 2 sounds a good idea in principle. The boardman pro frame is very light (1.5kg?) and well made so I reckon you could easily sell it on for £200 – a absolute bargain at that price. The rest of the kit is prolly worth around £1200 so stick it on the soul. So you get £1400 worth of cash and bike stuff for about 700 paid back over a year.

A problem arises only if you have to give up the bike to you employer for any reason. Is it worth the gamble?

pullfaces
    Free Member

1.If you've got the offer use it, they might take it away otherwise and others might not be able to gain advantage from it then.
    Halfords at least put money back into cycling, sponsoring a road team and a few xc people.

2. what sort of riding do you do and do you have any desire to try other things?
    e.g. they do the Carrera Titan Carbon for £1000
    Carrera Titan Carbon
    I'm sure you could find something there just as an alternative bike – bigger, faster, winter, summer, race etc option
    3. It gets great reviews as a road bike and if you think you'll use it, even occaisionally then it's a good choice.
    4. We're not your mum, although admittedly it's not permission you want. Just get something a bit different to what you would normally get.

If you're a member of British Cycling you get 10-20% off at Halfords although I don't know if would work in conjunction with your voucher.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Option 2 – Thats what I did (only had £750 so got the comp). Got okay money for the frame as well.

speaker2animals

I fancied one of the Boarman Hybrids either the pro (about £800) or the Pro Ltd (£1000). You may get more use than the pure road bike? The Boardman Road bikes have had good reviews with the exception that they are a little more harsh than "comparable" bikes. Comparable generally seeming to be Specialized/Tek etc that are probably £200 or £300 more.

I do wonder if all the people who knock Halfords on here have really had bad experiences with the shop (or even used them at all) or whether it is just another urban myth/STW Forum knock everyone and everything pile of doo doo.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Spend my Money – £1,000 Halfords Bike to work voucher’ is closed to new replies.