Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Spelling mental circles
  • funkmasterp

Separate. I know it’s not seperate but I can’t help it..

This, every bloody time.

Also regrads and monring as typos in about ninety percent of all emails. The best one I’ve seen was from an accountant colleague who sent a customer an email regarding a discount. Only she didn’t type discount she wrote discoc*#t.

whitestone
    Free Member

Comparison, never completely sure if it ends in n or m.

Superficial
    Free Member

I can’t force my brain to understand why “comprised of” is wrong
    Is it? Why?

Some sort of super grammar nazi reasons, apparently.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/05/why-wikipedias-grammar-vigilante-is-wrong

As for rhythm, I have to write the word arrhythmia or dysrhythmia at least once a day and it always looks wrong.

theotherjonv

I can never remember sentence vs sentance, and also practise vs practice.

I know the first example one is wrong but it doesn’t look wrong enough to stand out.

But a hack to help me remember the second, where both are right but have different meanings would be nice.

That said – the purpose of language is to communicate. Does it actually matter if we were to have ‘alternative’ spellings for some of these words. Would anyone in the world misunderstand an instruction that

“A sentance must start with a capital letter and end with a full stop.”

just because there’s an a-e error?

Our spellings have changed with time enough anyway (ye olde shoppe), are we obsessed with being correct vs accepting evolution?

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a sort of invirtuous circle: someone mispronounces a word or phrase then when they come to write it they write it in the way they say it so misspell it. An example would be: “could have”, this is often contracted in speech to “could’ve” so it gets written down as “could of”.

The soft ‘c’ as in advice does make things confusing, we’ve two letters ‘c’ & ‘s’ that can sound the same but one of those letters (c) can also sound like ‘k’ or ‘s.

Cougar

I can never remember sentence vs sentance, and also practise vs practice.

But a hack to help me remember the second, where both are right but have different meanings would be nice.

I like Timba’s idea. I remember it differently (in my head, the ‘c’ is the regular form and it changes to an ‘s’ if you’re using it as a verb), but this is probably better:

(I remember these and similar spellings by applying “advice” and “advise” to the same sentence)

are we obsessed with being correct vs accepting evolution?

Yes, damn it! (-:

Stevet1
    Free Member

select * form emp;

theotherjonv

The soft ‘c’ as in advice does make things confusing, we’ve two letters ‘c’ & ‘s’ that can sound the same but one of those letters (c) can also sound like ‘k’ or ‘s.

Evolving that further though – we don’t actually need the letter C – anywhere it’s used we could replace by a K or an S depending on its pronunciation.

And while I also know there are similar words, with similar meanings, but with different spellings to differentiate them from each other, the context of a sentence clarifies that.

eg: You advise someone (verb) or give someone advise (noun)

whitestone
    Free Member

Careful, we’re heading towards newspeak!

I think there’s a speeling mistake in your advise/advice example 🙄 😉

theotherjonv

(not sure if whitestone has missed the point or I am)

It’ll all be irrelevant anyway, we’ll evolve 2 txtspk b4 long.

whitestone
    Free Member

My mistake if I missed the subtlety of your example 😳

txtspk: definitive proof that if you give an infinite number of monkeys and infinite number of keyboards you’ll get gibberish!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Spelling mental circles’ is closed to new replies.