Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Speedplay road pedals
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Thinking of switching to speedplay pedals as my time ones could do with being replaced.

Seems to be a few different choices – zero, x1, x2, x5, light action. They all look much the same. No idea which I would go for.

Anyone using them? All the reviews suggest they’re great.

Gordymac
    Free Member

I’ve been running Zeros for the last three years. I don’t think I can say much more than the reviews. They just do the job without any fuss which is a good thing. Better ground clearance due to them being so small. If you do get them make sure you get some cafe covers or if not you will be doing some skating when you stop 😆

Gordymac

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

Use the zeros myself, and wouldn’t change them.

Find clipping in much easier, especially on hill starts. Cleats also seem to last a while, mine are over a year old now and done 3000+ miles and no sign of them needing replacement yet.

Only downside experienced so far was difficulty in unclipping once as the cleats had a bit of mud in them after having to walk across a grass verge for a call of nature.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So whats the advantages of the zero’s over the x series? Adjustable float?

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah you want Zeros, changed to them a couple of years ago (after using Time and Shimano road pedals previously), can’t see me going back. Only downsides really are the cleats can pack with mud/stones if you walk across pub gardens without using the cafe covers and the first few times you get out of the saddle using them feels a bit weird (at least it did to me) as your feet move about a lot (I guess from being lazy with more fixed pedals whereas with speedplays you need to adapt and stabilise your feet yourself – it literally takes seconds/minutes to adapt though).

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

Zeros have plenty of adjustable float, so no idea what the difference is. I just bought the cheapest Zeros I could find. The cleats are more expensive than usual, but last much longer than any others i’ve used.

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

Just had a quick look at the specs, and looks to me like the X series are free floating, and can’t be adjusted, whereas the zeros can have anything between 0 and 15 degrees.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Zero titaniums here… in white… perfect.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah on Zeros you can fix the inner and outer limits of float on the cleat (basically just a screw). Can be handy if say in your natural foot position you heel clears the chainstay but occasionally you clip it (lazy pedal stroke or whatever) so you can set the inner limit screw to stop it happening.

mudshark
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Speedplay road pedals’ is closed to new replies.