Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 208 total)
  • Speeding penalty
  • farmer-giles
    Free Member

the weasel looks dodgy – eyes too far apart – abit like kate moss

jd-boy
    Free Member

if its May its not valid, you should get them no later than 6 weeks, even if you had a hire/lease car you should get it in that period of time, after that its not valid, BUt she should take a big leason and slow up or be more aware of whats going on around her if she is driving for a living, I got done on the mobile REVENUE camera last year for being 2mph over the limit in a 30, 3 points/£60 he was also on the other side of the road shooting across a grass island, did not know they could get you both ways, got that after 28 years of points free driving for a living,

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

That, I believe, is the stoat of uncertainty.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

That weasel is unsettling. 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, Section 1.-
    1.—(1) Subject to section 2 of this Act, where a person is prosecuted for an offence to which this section applies, he is not to be convicted unless—
    ( c ) within fourteen days of the commission of the offence a notice of
    the intended prosecution specifying the nature of the alleged offence
    and the time and place where it is alleged to have been committed,
    was—
    (ii) in the case of any other offence, served on him or on the
    person, if any, registered as the keeper of the vehicle at the time
    of the commission of the offence.
    ——————————————————————–
    The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, Section 6.-(3)
    inserted the following sub-section into the RTOA 1988 (as above).
    ——————————————————————–
    (1A) A notice required by this section to be served on any person
    may be served on that person—
    (a) by delivering it to him;
    (b) by addressing it to him and leaving it at his last known
    address; or
    ( c ) by sending it by registered post, recorded delivery service or
    first class post addressed to him at his last known address.

The 14 day time limit only applies to the first NIP in the chain, i.e. the one to the registered keeper

Further: http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/procedure/notice_of_intended_prosecution.htm

The registered keeper was contacted within 14 days, however it has been several months before I, the driver at the time of the alleged offence, was contacted. Do I still have a case to answer?
    The only obligation upon the Police is to issue the original Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days. Despite taking so long to contact you, the delay does not provide you with a technical get out. The Police have 6 months in which to prosecute.

The Weasel says so.

aracer
    Free Member

Not seeing a speed camera is bad driving. (Well, bad observation.)

Too right. I saw the speed camera which did me both times. Unfortunately by the time I saw it (pretty much the instant it came into view over the brow of a hill) they'd already clocked me, given the speed on the NIP. Not all cameras are big yellow boxes in fixed locations…

clubber
    Free Member

Weasel doing the hula (hula hoop not pictured)

aracer
    Free Member

There is currently still a legal loophole around the need to provide evidence of who was driving the vehicle at the time, so I understand.

Only if you ignore the law which requires you to identify the driver and/or take the risk of a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice, both of which generally carry a much larger sentence than the speeding. If she was the only person likely to have been driving the car at the time, as is likely to be the case from the info given, then they're likely to be able to make a pretty good case for the latter if she decides to mess around.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely you're not advocating that you think it's better that Bushwacked's wife loses her job?

No, and I don't think anyone else would either. Which is why the unnecessary hardship plea would most likely work in this case – esp since the extra points date from a time before she cleaned up her act.

3 points is careless, 6 very careless – but 12? It makes you wonder. I can't pass judgement as I haven't driven with the OP or his wife, but it does raise a few questions, that's all.

I've been knocked off my bike before by someone who clearly just couldn't see past the end of his nose, wouldn't have made much difference had he been going twice the speed

It bloody well would! You'd have been smacked twice as hard and flown twice as far…

clubber
    Free Member

Technically, four times as hard and four times as far (well, based on energy conservation only…)

mboy
    Free Member

Only if you ignore the law which requires you to identify the driver and/or take the risk of a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice, both of which generally carry a much larger sentence than the speeding. If she was the only person likely to have been driving the car at the time, as is likely to be the case from the info given, then they're likely to be able to make a pretty good case for the latter if she decides to mess around.

Fair point, but if there is a case that one of several drivers may have been driving the car at the time, but you are uncertain as to who it was, provide each name and address of the likely drivers, then surely this is not perverting the course of justice?

And if it is, how come I know people that have managed to do this (recently) and got away with it?

And yes, attempting to pervert the course of justice would just be totally bloody stupid, I should add!

clubber
    Free Member

Nowadays, can't they pretty easily prove who was driving just by showing phone tracking records? Particularly if they think you're trying to pull a fast one? (onbiously won't work if there were several people who could have been driving in the car but would they really be willing to put their necks on the line?)

mboy
    Free Member

Technically, four times as hard and four times as far (well, based on energy conservation only…)

LOL, there's always one! 😉

In my case though the driver definitely WOULD have missed me had he been going twice as fast, he'd have turned in front of me, not into me… But that is besides the point.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Surely as probably all of us have strayed over the speed limit at some point in time we should all "morally" put our collective hands up and wander straight down to the nearest cop shop? Or does the moral argument only come in to it if you've actually been caught?

clubber
    Free Member

Speeding where there are no cameras is fine. It's like trees falling in forests where there's no one to hear…

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely as probably all of us have strayed over the speed limit at some point in time we should all "morally" put our collective hands up and wander straight down to the nearest cop shop?

Yep, but punishment is meant to discourage people from doing it, so what we should morally do is therefore go one step further and be discouraged from speeding. So if you find yourself over the limit, resolve not to do it again and make the effort.

Points are only there to replace people's sense of obligation.

mboy
    Free Member

Surely as probably all of us have strayed over the speed limit at some point in time we should all "morally" put our collective hands up and wander straight down to the nearest cop shop? Or does the moral argument only come in to it if you've actually been caught?

Which is precisely why the whole moral argument is a total crock.

I bet there's plenty of people reading this who speed more often, and to a greater degree than B's wife does, but haven't been caught… I don't see them rushing to admit fault!

Speeding where there are no cameras is fine. It's like trees falling in forests where there's no one to hear…

Does that one work if you get pulled over by a copper for speeding though? 😉

titusrider
    Free Member

Jesus people on here are such leftys, drive your car at the speed thats appropriate for the road/conditions and look out for speed cameras for when your judgment doesnt match the local councils

molgrips
    Free Member

It's the 'appropriate' part that's the issue.

One man's appropriate is another man's far too fast.

I know, why don't we label all roads with a certain speed? That way, everyone will be doing more or less the same thing and traffic will flow nicely. We could make the pace nice and easy to keep everything that bit safer.

convert

Good point.

Confession time – for a few weeks I had 9 points on my licence – and very worrying weeks they were too. Did the trick though as I have modified my ways, especially in built up areas. I don't think I ever break the limits in 30s & 40s any more but whilst not reckless I seem to be less prone to strictly observing 60s and motorway limits. I have a desire to own a quickish car at the moment which means the beast must still be yearning within.

mboy
    Free Member

It's the 'appropriate' part that's the issue.

Exactly

I vote we tattoo people's individual maximum rated speed on their forehead, so that there's no question what the maximum speed is they are each allowed to do when it comes to prosecution…

This is of course after they've been through a very arduous driver training and assessment course to see how safe they each are at certain speeds and certain conditions…

😉

It would also solve the problem of what Elaine Anne should get tattooed on her body!

IGMC

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Your wife may just have to take it on the nose and get a job closer to home.

If my gf got caught speeding 4 times I'd be raging at how ignorant she has been!

davidrussell
    Free Member

i taped something off the radio once and kept it. I'm pretty sure thats illegal…

titusrider
    Free Member

I once reached 110mph coming back from brighton at 3 in the morning – lock me up…

molgrips
    Free Member

This is of course after they've been through a very arduous driver training and assessment course to see how safe they each are at certain speeds and certain conditions…

Yes – and re-assessed every 10 minutes for when they get bored or tired.

hora
    Free Member

uplink – Member
    I've managed way over 130 in a 30 limit on many occasions – didn't do me any harm

uplink – Member
    I've managed way over 130 in a 30 limit on many occasions – didn't do me any harm

Yeah of course you did 😉

Ranks alongside internet hardmen stories for boasts 😆

aracer
    Free Member

The trouble in some cases is that everybody but the person who set the speed limit's appropriate is the person who set the speed limit's too fast.

uplink
    Free Member

Yeah of course you did

Hora, would you like a wager on it?

The real nutters were coming past me like I was going backwards

hora
    Free Member

Isle of Man?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just for the record I drive for business and have had a clean licence for about 10 years now.

uplink
    Free Member

Yes

& Ireland

hora
    Free Member

I want to dry hump your leg

uplink
    Free Member

Forget it Hora I'm an old man now 🙂

the 82 Manx GP was the last road race I took part in

MartynS

get legal advice…..

afaik if you go to court to fight it and get found guilty the punishment will be harsher than pleading guilty with mitigating circumstances..
    but get legal advice

and a sat nav with up to date traffic camera alarms….

simonralli2
    Free Member

I've been reading this thread hearing the comedy voices from Monty Python's Holy Grail, where they discuss the sparrow and velocity……

andyl46
    Free Member

Uplink, if you were doing 130+ on the Portstewart road out of Coleraine, you need a new sat nav! The NW200 course follows the B185 (the "back road" down into University Corner, up to the magic roundabout before heading back towards Portrush via Mathers Cross and Magheraboy.

Thought they'd ruined it this year with the chicane at Mathers, but fewer riders dying and another good overtaking opportunity can only be a good thing!

Unless you are going waaaay back, when they had to re route it away from the prom in portstewart as people kept ending up in the harbour…!

uplink
    Free Member

Yes -I did mean down to Uni corner couldn't quite visualise it from the map on Multimap – it was nearly 30 years ago mind
    I did 4 NW200s from 78 to 82 [missed 80 through injury]
    in those day mind there were no chicanes heading back up to Portrush & the speeds on that bit were astronomical

Xylene
    Free Member

Is your wife a footballer, rock-god, celebrity nobody, royalty or able to afford that really expensive lawyer that the previous use to get off from their driving bans.

If not, she's stuffed.

It's STW though, she can come on here for good advice on a commuter bike.

andyl46
    Free Member

aye when the lads were doing 200+ into metropole, down a bumpy public road, over manholes and the like, it was some sight to see! The slipstreaming down into uni corner is still incredible to watch!

uplink
    Free Member

I've not been over since I rode there but keep promising to take my lad over for a holiday – maybe next year

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘Speeding penalty’ is closed to new replies.