Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • speedhub on full suss advice please
  • kaiser
    Free Member

thinking of maybe putting the speedhub on my 5 spot for the winter . I’ve got a rohloff chain tensioner ( although I’ve read some people have had hassle with these ) but just wondered do i really need a chain guide do dah on the front ring . If yes ..any recommendations as the rohloff one is silly money. guess i could use a front mech ?
    your advice / recommendations /experiences please
    thanks
    Bill

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve got an Alfine on a trance, I lost the chain at the front a couple of times so got a guide but forgot to put it on and didn’t loose the chain again for ages. so I guess it just depends.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

unramped chainring and alignment / tension right it should be OK

andyfb78
    Free Member

I had a rohloff on a 5 spot (HL) for a while..

Yes you need somethign up front to guide the chain.

make sure you have allowed for the full suspension travel with the tensioner, I was forever unshippinging the chain, which is a pain cause you can’t flick a lever.

it came off the back a lot, as well as the front, even with a tensioner.

I decided after years of trying to make it work that combined with an annoying shifter, I’d go back to mechs on FS and use the rohlf on a hard tail.

I won’t go hub gear on full sus again until I’m convinced the chain can be held more firmly.

Annoying coz I love the hub!

snaps
    Free Member

This set up used to drop the chain on the front until I reduced the chain length to the bare minimum to allow for suspension movement & fitted a DH chainring – didn’t drop it at all after.

giantjason
    Free Member

Do you have a HL or DW 5 Spot. If you have a DW version you will find it difficult to fit the speedhub onto the rear without having to use an adapted torque arm. i tried it and realised it wouldnt work easily so went and got a rohloff specific Nicolai.

After looking for somthing similar i found that the Rohloff chainguide is the best on the market and is good quality.

In using this setup over the last year i havent had any dropped chains on the front or rear.

kaiser
    Free Member

HL fortunately
    better look for a 2nd hand chainguide then!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve been running Rohloffs on our Nicolais for 6 years now. I’d say you definitely need a front guide and whilst the Rohloff one is expensive it lasts well and is cheaper than the alternatives (MRP?).

It’s still possible to dump the chain but its very rare – usually only happens with an off or a major stall.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘speedhub on full suss advice please’ is closed to new replies.