Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • spectacular cosmic discovery about the origins of the big bang just discovered.
  • racefaceec90

just heard on bbc news some major news about the big bang http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26605974

they think they have discovered the signal left in the universe just after the big bang happened that could back up the theory of cosmic expansion.

have no idea what that all means 😆 but it does sound jolly exiting 😉

DezB
    Free Member

they have found the signal left in the sky

Has it got a long white beard and sandals?

racefaceec90

grandalf 😕

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry I tried to read the article, but I was all like

woody2000

thepurist

For a second I wondered if they’d found the cosmic blue touch paper, but then thouvht who’d have lit it. Woah…..

Northwind

10000 trillion gigaelectronvolts

It’s not the big bang, it’s just the latest Troutlight.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Pah, do they not know that 27.5″ made the universe come alive?

From the infinitesimally small 26″ at the beginning of time it was at the point that 27.5″ was reached that the whole universe was imprinted to become the uniform bike marketing push we see today. However since the universe continues to expand some posit the possibility of a fat universe moving in a previously unparalleled dimension of grip that may finally one day unify all 4 forces in one grand theory.

matt_outandabout

This is consistent with ideas for what is termed Grand Unified Theory, the realm where particle physicists believe three of the four fundamental forces in nature can be tied together

So scientists think it is GUT theory…?
    A bit premature for April 1st.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The media and astrophysicists seem to be going mental saying things like this is the most important discovery ever.

Plonkers.

650b got there first.

/edit: just like londonerinoz 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like photoshop generated noise to me !

CountZero

cranberry
    Free Member

lets hope that the results aren’t the result of faulty can opener.

BigJohn

I’ve always had an interest in this stuff and can get my head around flexible space time, twistor theory and superstrings, and even the odd 13 dimensions etc.

Can anybody recommend a book to give some basic intro to the big bang? Lee Smolin does some readable things but i suspect he’s laughed at by proper physicists.

O level, grade D in Physics, here.

lemonysam
    Free Member

There will be better intros to the big bang in general nut for one that specifically covers why this is important try this:

It’s basically a broad strokes introduction to some of the ongoing questions in Astronomy and Astrophysics. This discovery renders it slightly out of date, a state of affairs I think the author would be delighted about.

BigJohn

Thanks. I’ll take a peek at that one.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘spectacular cosmic discovery about the origins of the big bang just discovered.’ is closed to new replies.