Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Specialized tyres?
  • sammaratti
    Free Member

My apologies for the stupid question and if its been asked before.

But could someone please explain to me in idiot the difference between grid, control and 2bliss in the tyre range.

Thanks in advance.

carlos
    Free Member

As I understand it –

Control – thin sidewalls and lightweight
    Grid – thicker sidewall and heavier
    2bliss – can be ran tubeless with sealant but not actual UST

No doubt someone with either be along to offer more info or tell me I’m spouting rubbish

v9gss

Never torn a sidewall on a grid have on a control.

They’re all 2bliss now, just means tubeless ready.

sammaratti
    Free Member

Thanks, that would make sense I guess.

I thought the 2bliss was tubeless but wasn’t too sure.

somafunk

2bliss?……2bliss?…..twobliss?…..tubeless 😀

Ahh!, i get it know – very good…..

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Ground Control is a particular tyre with a certain tread pattern which comes in various guises i.e plain Ground Control, Grid, Sport, S-Works etc.

2Bliss applies across the range of tyres and indicates they can be run tubeless (toobliss, geddit?)

Grid is also a variant of various tyres such as the Ground Control or Purgatory and it has the reinforced sidewall and is consequently tougher but heavier than the standard tyre.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/mtb-tires/xc-trail-tires

sammaratti
    Free Member

light bulb on “ping”

DanW
    Free Member

In order of sidewall toughness (least to greatest): SWorks, Control, Grid. Simples. All are 2bliss.

sammaratti
    Free Member

Cool cool, found the butcher grids in 26″ for £35.

Anyone know of a cheaper site?

Simon

There’s also SX which is thicker still.

Never had a problem with Control casing sidewalls ripping.

enigmas
    Free Member

Grid is also split into two models, which isn’t really mentioned on their sight.

‘trail’ tyres like the ground control and purgatory use a lighter grid casing to the ‘enduro’ tyres like the butcher and slaughter.

The trail grid casings are noticeably lighter but much more flimsy. I couldn’t get on with a purgatory grid on the rear as I kept putting holes in the tread. 6 months now on a slaughter grid with no issues at all.

core

I’m a 15st hardtail rider, control carcass is not strong enough as a front tyre for me (with 120mm forks). I ride mostly xc and trail centre red type stuff.

I was running a butcher control tubeless on a mavic 521, converted with velox tape, stans rim strip and stans sealant, all as per guidelines.

Ran at lots of different pressures, ended up really hard to try and stop it squirming, but it still burped, and deformed a lot, then pinched one day and had to tube it, but was ridiculously high pressure to be usable.

So, unless you’re a racing snake, or like your tyre flopping all over the shop, go grid.

Purgatory control rear has been fine though.

Now got a WTB Vigilante 2.3 team issue up front, it’s bloomin’ heavy for a folder, but went up tubeless a treat, and very little sidewall flex even at low 20’s psi.

sammaratti
    Free Member

I normally run a butcher up front with a purgatory at the rear.

mark_rich
    Free Member

I ran purgatory controls on the rear on a 26er and 29er, both suffered bad sidewall wear, casing threads were showing and sealant was bubbling out of the sidewalls well before the tread was anything like worn.
    Got a slaughter grid on now and they feel much tougher.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Specialized tyres?’ is closed to new replies.