Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Specialized Turbo E-bike update
  • simondbarnes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xgbbCr]Lovely morning for a commute![/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

Some of you asked for a follow up to my initial Specialized Turbo E-bike impressions. So, a few thoughts…

As a brief recap, bought it to try and cut my car use on my ~90km round trip commute.

Since getting it 3 or 4 months ago I’ve covered around 1500km on it – purely commuting (other than a quick trip up the hill to catch the Vulcan flypast). In that time I’ve also ridden about 3000km on “normal” bikes so not only has it drastically reduced my car use, it’s got me back in the habit of riding again (had a very poor first 6 months of the year when I only rode approx 1000km in total)

The bike has been almost faultless other than a slightly sticky rear brake (formula c1) and a puncture on the way home this evening (in the rear of course, bit of a pain in the arse sorting in the pitch black but managed ok)

Couple of things I’d change – I’d quite like a slightly more powerful front light. Am used to riding with a Hope R4 or an Exposure Revo so the one it comes with (supernova) seems a little underpowered although it gives a good spread of light. The rear light is bright but the positioning of it on the rear of the saddle is stupid – far too easy for it to be covered by a jacket. I’m using a cateye rapid 3 on a rack mount to supplement it. Will fit my Hope District to the seatpost when I get a chance.

I’m still in 2 minds whether I’d prefer it with the speed restrictor lifted. It can be a bit frustrating when the assist cuts out at 25kph. Makes long, flat stretches a bit boring or very hard work depending on whether I stick to 25kph or provide all of the power to go faster than that (and with the bike weighing over 50lb + whatever I have in my pannier it needs quite a bit of leg power!) On the other hand, 25kph is plenty fast enough through towns and uphill, is quite relaxing and the battery will last longer.

In terms of the battery, it’ll comfortably cover a 90km commute, even with me being lazy and not putting in much effort so I’m pretty happy with that. It charges up pretty quickly (2-3 hours) which is also a plus point.

The ride is pretty firm but not uncomfortable (and running a little less pressure in the tyres makes a big difference to the comfort) and it handles well for a big lump of a bike. The kickstand is ace and was a lifesaver when it came to fixing a puncture in the rear wheel earlier.

What I’m basically trying to say is that I really like the bike and it’s helped me get fitter and saved lots of petrol and wear & tear on my car 🙂
    It wasn’t that long ago that I was completely against the idea of e-bikes for anyone except the infirm too!

irvb

My wife has a (very cheap) ebike, as has back issues. We would never ride together but can happily do a 10 mile social ride with her motoring along beside me. I’m a big fan, but……

There are a lot of shared use paths where I live, be they bridleways or pavement, and not all riders are as considerate as others and I can foresee problems with excessive speed (even on the restricted bikes) giving ebikes a bad name.

As Sartre said – “hell is other people”. I should be allowed an ebike, but not sure if everybody else should.

BTW Mr Barnes – that Spesh Turbo looks like a great ebike compared to some monstrosities out there – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Nnj4RZzu4 .

Mikeypies
    Free Member

don’t remove the speed restrictor or use a “dongle” as if you get caught (I know a slim chance but bare with me) you will get lots of points on your driving licence and your bike confiscated as it will be classed as a moped. Boring I know but not as bad as waiting for a bus which has been cancelled in the rain.

marvincooper

I like that a lot, I have a similar commute that I do 2 or 3 times a week. Often think it would be great to have an electric assist to make 5 days a week do-able without being over-tired. Any idea how your average speed on the e-bike compares to your commute on a normal bike? I’m guessing it’s about the same but with lower speeds on the flat.

simondbarnes

Through the winter the average speed will about the same. In summer then it’ll generally be slower.

marvincooper

I just bit the bullet and ordered one of these Cube electic bikes:

STATO
    Free Member

What the deal with them only seeming to have a single front ring?

The specialized looks to have a massive chainring and the cube tiny, guessing cube is geared internally but is it variable? and are you stuck with the huge chainring on the specialized? Its no wonder they are a pig to ride when the battery is flat.

marvincooper

I have no idea! Hopefully it is geared suitably, will find out soon 🙂

simondbarnes

and are you stuck with the huge chainring on the specialized?

You can put whatever you want on there but the gearing it came with is perfectly fine. It’s a hybrid I use for commuting. I’m not riding it up Skiddaw or Ben Nevis. Anyway, I thought 1x drivetrains were fashionable these days?
    It’s perfectly fine to ride with the motor turned off anyway, just a bit heavy 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

Just checked. 48t! Yikes.

STATO
    Free Member

Anyway, I thought 1x drivetrains were fashionable these days?

true, but i dont htink fashion and e-bikes go together ;0)

Just wondered if there was a mechanical reason for not putting a double ring on. I know they have a speed sensor (to know to cut off at 25kph) so maybe its to do with that. Or maybe just to keep the cadence down when running with motor assist.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Turbo E-bike update’ is closed to new replies.