Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Specialized Slaughter first impressions…..
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I was at the Forest of Dean yesterday and found them a bit too Squirmy in the corners tbh. I think they’d be perfect for the loamy stuff..I rode with one on the rear..

How do they compare to the rock razor?

tymbian
    Free Member

bumping up for the evening crowd..

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Does it feel like the side knobs roll over when lent on hard? That has been a criticism of the Butcher.

deviant
    Free Member

It is a variation on the Rock Razor idea of slick down the middle with decent side tread isn’t it?….I believe Maxxis are developing a Minion with similar pattern tread.

Great in dry dusty trails, great on hard pack.

…..FoD has been rainy this week hasn’t it?

It’s not what I’d have run, I have a Rock Razor waiting to go on the back but not until later in the year.

I ran a minion DHF on the back last week at FoD and all was good!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Which one? They do a few compounds and few cases in the slaughter don’t they?

kudos100
    Free Member

I found it great on hardpack and dusty trails. As soon as it got steep and loose it was a bit sketchy, but I wasn’t expecting anything else.

I haven’t ridden the rock razor, but I’ve heard the side knobs break off fairly easily.

The slaughter is a great summer tyre, drifty and fun, but I cannot be arsed with changing tyres for different conditions and venues, so I have gone back to one do it all setup.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted one on the Stooge rear

Side knobs feel soft – as do the centre ones

I’ll get to try it tomoz

tymbian
    Free Member

yes it feels as if the side knobs are rolling over. .I’m on the 29″ grid version. ZForest of Dean wad as good a place as any for its maiden voyage. I feel as though the side knobs could do with being a tad shorter as even on hardback they’re gonna squirm/ deform.

bonesetter
    Free Member

A mag review reckoned you need to commit to get the tyre to work

yorkycsl
    Free Member

On my second Rock Razor now, soon as I saw them last year I popped one on the rear of my Bronson, when pushing hard cornering the grip is spot on I find, the big side nobs don’t tend fold & cause the bike to to squirm around, seen a few tyres come out recently with very similar patterns but i’ll be sticking with them albeit the gravity version now, superb fast & surprisingly grippy.

Cheers
    Mark

martinhutch

Having just trashed the a bonty xr4 on the front in three rides, are these overkill on the front for mainly XC in the Dales with regular Lakes trips? Was wondering about Trail Kings too.

mikeep
    Free Member

They work great of a 30mm internal rim. No sense of side nobs folding.

devash
    Free Member

I found Specialized Purgs were a bit like this when I first started using one on the front. They definitely need you to weigh the front and commit when cornering. Fantastic tyres when you work them out.

tomaso
    Free Member

Was out last night round Troutbeck and Jenkin Crag and it was mostly dry and rocky. The Slaughter grid out back rolls and grips well and it cornered just fine at 52kph. Steep woodsie muds and roots is rarely grippy no matter what the tyre but they were OK. They roll well and I got lots of strava points…
    Rode them at the Dyfi last weekend and thought they were perfect.
    I don’t really ride anywhere very muddy often so they would be fine for most of the year up in the Lakes.
    Oh and the shoulder feels consistent when you tip it in.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

They work great of a 30mm internal rim. No sense of side nobs folding.

Rounded profile then? The Rock Razor looks too square to work on wide rims.

I’m tempted by the LB 38mm rims for incoming my Reign.

tymbian
    Free Member

Tomaso…what pressure were they?

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Tom_W1987

I run Roval fattie carbon Sl’s 30mm wide & find the razors spot on, seems like there’s been quite a few manufacturers jump to produce a similar tyre, can send a picture of the spread on the rear no worries.
    Highly recommend the gravity version.

joefm

maybe if dry but found whenit got steeper and looser i couldnt brake as effectively

tomaso
    Free Member

28psi but I suppose thats only half the equation! I am about 14 stone

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’ll second what tomaso said, been running the slaughter out back all winter up here in the Lakes and it’s been fine, straight line braking isn’t their strong point but they do roll well and once in a turn the side knobs do their job, easy to set up tubeless and stayed up tubeless even after i put a big dent in rim.

Just put something else on the rear and already notice how draggy it is compared to the slaughter, will be changing back soon

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Slaughter first impressions…..’ is closed to new replies.