Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody using these? on 26″ tubeless? especially in the peak disctrict? heard the sidewalls are quite thin too

how are they in winter? read the bikemagic review said they were good in general winter type conditions?

most of the trails we do are rocky/fireroad/forest/ with some gloop, but not loads, so not sure i need a full on storm control or the likes….

it looks quite a good size also

cheap as chips is a bonus, is it a real good all rounder on paper

i was going to get a conti baron UST, but not avaialable until may next year, so cant go down that route….

tc3nitro
    Free Member

I have one of these on the front of my stumpy and can’t wait to change it !
    In winter conditions its aweful, clogs with mud really easily and the mud seems to stick to it really easily.

I’ll be chaging it for a Pana XC fire 2.1 upfront for the remainder of the winter.

The sidewalls on both my specialized tires appear to be thin and soft, i have a ground control on the rear and I’m sure that would be flat now if I had been running tubeless.

It summer it’s fine and I have no complaints.

SOAP
    Free Member

Had them for 3 rides now on the front and back
    (FOD, Ashton court,Quantocks)
    So far so good using ZTR flows put 2oz stans fluid in and inflated with a joeblow first time.
    They did not pop on inflation like others tyres(are they surposed to?)
    size wise they are a good 2.3 compared to ardent/aDvantage 2.25.
    I think another 5 rides and I will know how they ride and at what pressure are best.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm thats not so positive then tc3nitro, especially on the mud front, where abouts are you riding?

these will mainly be used on rocky descents/climbs with occasional mud sections, and not too gloopy at that….

the bike magic review seems to suggest they are the best non-mud tyre about (for mud)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ps i was also thinking of a F&R combo….sure they would be better than a conti x king on the back in any muddy conditions, but not so sure it will be any better than a RQ on the front in muddy conditions?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve the 2.2 29er version,

No problems with sidewalls, I’d guess they’re slightly thicker than SPC maxxis. Much thicker than my ground controll, but that isn’t tubeless.

I’d agree with the good all rorund winter tyre review, they work well enough on hardpack, rocks etc, and OK in mud. Previously I used storm’s and found those marginaly better in propper mud (Gorrick 100 in the rain type mud) but much worse overall.

Some people seem to really hate them though which is wierd as I’ve run them for 12 months now (They were a good choice this ‘summer’ too!) without any complaints.

chiefgrooveguru

I used to have the old 2.2 (which is apparently fractionally larger than the new 2.3) on the back. There are three different casings, S-Works (v thin), Control (normal), Armadillo (reinforced) and I found the Control worked very well tubeless. It’s not as sticky a compound as a RQ BC, don’t recall it being much different in the mud, just not as good on roots. Good tyre for the money!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3

Mine are 2Bliss 2.2s…

I like them. No probs setting up tubeless, roll pretty quick, seem to handle loose mud and conditions pretty well, just don’t brake brilliantly (I ran them and a HR/Minion set-up in the Alps, depending on terrain planned. The bigger tyres were noticeably better slowing me down, unsurprisingly). Probably slightly more ‘aggro’ than X-Kings.

Also got some 2.4 X-King Black Chillis which undoubtedly roll faster, but were twice the price.

hora
    Free Member

…and there was me thinking of swapping out my waaaaay grippy trail-velcro Swampt’ings for these 😯

I have two default tyres for the Peaks:

Swampting
    Ardent

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

tinas – cheers for the info

cheifgrooveguru – were in the same boat (remember the mud tyre thread), we have the same combo of x king rear/ front RQ both ust 2.2…

so the reason im also wanting to ditch the above for winter is just as i know the x king rear/ rQ front is a superb combo once we get to april through to october (ish), i dont want to wear them out this winter, i can then bung them back on in april again all being well…

so spesh as they are cheap and tubeless looked a good option…

how do they compare to the x king/ rq combo then as you have 1st hand use of the combo im using and want to try lol…

i defo would only have the control version for around the peaks….

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Is a Swampting like a rasta Swampthing?

hora
    Free Member

Yeah ‘mon 😈

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If you want a Spesh tyre for the winter, get the Storm Control, or a Bontie Mud X.

The Bontie is pretty sticky so works on rocks and the like, but is a little thin at only 2″. I’ve heard stories of people running them year round.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yeah ‘mon

😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hora – swampthings are overkill for peakdistrict (well what i ride anyways), way to draggy etc…

i dont do 10s of miles of mud, most of its rocky chutes, some roots etc etc, just sections of mud in forest now and again so i just want something thats not full on mud, but can cope with it ok and will grip slightly….

the purgatory according to BM seemed a pretty good choice, as did the baron UST recommended by northwind (but not out yet)

hora
    Free Member

The Swampthings aren’t mud tyres, just mud tyres- they handle roots- everything. As the rear wears they become ‘more rounded’.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If it helps, I’d ride Purgs in the Peaks over the winter. My feeling is they’d be fine for the stuff I know (Edale, Jacobs Ladder, Ladybower etc.) But then I’d also happily run 2.2 RQs.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers pimp!

good to know as thats some of the stuff id use them on….id happily run the RQ’s over winter too, but they are bloody expensive, and work perfectly mint from april – october, so wouldnt mind getting something cheaper for winter….

i think ill give them a bash be honest, i can get a bit of discoutn of spesh stuff so probably about 20quid each, better than trashing/wearing my rq’s at 45 a pop

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

FWIW I hate swampthings, got a pair of 2.1 if anyone want’s them, barely used, free if you collect.

Northwind

For Swampthings- only possible reason to buy them now is price, Conti Barons do the exact same job but much better.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d rather have the stickier compound of the Rubber Queens in the wet of winter – and when it’s wet tyres wear more slowly, and the RQ BC seem to wear amazingly slowly anyway. I just ordered another RQ 2.2 UST BC to replace the XK on the rear so will report back on how that fares in the mud…

IamSam
    Free Member

run them all year round, and have done for three years. My ridding is pretty much just in the lakes so comparable to the peak. Highly recommend them.

The side wall is a bit thin but have been running higher pressures to counter this about 35-40 psi. Always start them off tubeless then revert to tubes when the inevitable holes appear, normally in the main body not the walls. After doing this get pretty much a years worth of ridding from a pair, but that is only two outings a week so about 30-40 miles.

2.2 2bliss for me not got new ones yet, due in January.

Sam

ell_tell
    Free Member

Slight bump but thinking of getting one of these for the front of my Camber.

Does anyone run one with a Reba fork though as clearance looks pretty tight with the ‘The Captain’ I’ve been running?

jameso

i dont do 10s of miles of mud, most of its rocky chutes, some roots etc etc, just sections of mud in forest now and again so i just want something thats not full on mud, but can cope with it ok and will grip slightly….

I’d give them a go then. I like the 2.2s for the chilterns and they’ve been good in other areas. They do flint cut easier than my Maxxis EXO / LUST but they’re thinner so to be expected – they’re no DH tyre. Good high-mileage cheap tyre that works better than a lot of dearer tyres.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve been using them in little & big wheeled versions for over a year now (2.2″that is) great all round tyres IMHO.

They make the most of typical british conditions, not had an issue with side walls and they’re typically ran at 25-28psi depending on conditions.

They’re smaller than a 2.2″ captain in volume btw

mmel
    Free Member

ell_tell – I run a 2.2 purg with a 2011 Reba and the clearance is pretty tight but it does work. So long as your wheel is true and you don’t mind the odd scratch to your fork arch you’ll get along fine.

Don’t know about the new 2.3 Purg’s though, someone said they were the same size but I’ve not tried one yet.

ell_tell
    Free Member

ell_tell – I run a 2.2 purg with a 2011 Reba and the clearance is pretty tight but it does work. So long as your wheel is true and you don’t mind the odd scratch to your fork arch you’ll get along fine.

Don’t know about the new 2.3 Purg’s though, someone said they were the same size but I’ve not tried one yet.

Thanks for that 🙂 I might take a punt on the 2.3 then. If not I’m sure it will be fine with the forks on my HT as the arch clearance is much better on them.

mmel
    Free Member

ell_tell – Report back and let us know how you get on

ell_tell
    Free Member

Fitted the 26 x 2.3 and it clears okay in a 2011 Reba, but then I think the clearance on this fork is fairly poor, well compared to my Fox Vans anyway.

For a 2.3 it looks to come up quite narrow and isn’t far off the 2.0 The Captain I’m running on the rear.

Will be giving it a proper test this Fri.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3’ is closed to new replies.