Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Specialized Pitch – Your height, riding style, stem length and size?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

If you could jot down the information specified in title, i would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Vinte
    Free Member

Specialized Pitch Pro 2010 (Now with Hope Hoops and a KS 950 seat post)

I’m 5.11 on a medium, 50mm stem.

I use it mainly for rocky rides in the Lake District, with big ups and technical downs. I’ve also taken it around the occasional trail centre and downhill track.

andy7t2
    Free Member

6 foot
    mincing
    8 inches but the GF say 6 inches
    i don’t ride one

Cheers

Bagstard
    Free Member

Pitch pro 2010 with coil,size medium 5’11”, 50mm stem, 750mm bars. Used for XC, light DH, freemincing.

tomaso
    Free Member

6’2″
    blundering through or down graded from all mountain to some mountain – mostly lakes and moors
    55mm standard stem it came with on a large frame but with wider bars 720mm

Its great but after 8 months the wheel bearings are fecked and I’m not that impressed compared to good old fashion Shimano cup and cone bearings. And Avid brakes are getting manky and pistons are sticky.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

6’1 medium, 50mm stem, coil shock.

XC, light DH, jumps, drops (not big stuff but that’s not the bike, just my cajoules)- pretty much everything actually. Had it a month, love it.

grum
    Free Member

5’8, mincecorelight (mostly ride in the Lakes, pretty fast on rocky descents, bit of DH but no huge gaps etc), 70mm, Medium.

julioflo
    Free Member

MEdium pitch, 80mm stem, but just about to fit a 60mm as the 80 is far to long, didn’t realise until riding it that I could get away with a shorter stem. 710mm bars

i’m 6′ , 33″ inside leg and have the seat post on Max for climbing firetrack and roads.

Riding rocky moorland half day rides and ‘light downhill’ HSD at Gawton

It’s long and the cockpit is longer than I expected which is nice

sherco
    Free Member

6ft
    2009 Large Pro
    Hope/stans wheels
    Reverb seatpost
    Everything else standard. My mates laugh at it (long wheel base) & say it looks like a Farm gate.
    But climbs & rides great

Used for cheeky pm rides in rocky Derbyshire.
    Still pleased with it!

xiphon
    Free Member

5’10
    pretty hard rider…
    50mm stem
    2008 Pro
    medium size frame

Cracked it 5 times, then sold the warranty replacement!

Strong bike, but not quite as strong as people think…

nosedive
    Free Member

6ft
    large frame
    40 mm stem (reduced after various faceplants on jumps with the standard stem)

everything from long days trail riding, some xc events to light downhill

grum
    Free Member

Cracked it 5 times, then sold the warranty replacement!

Strong bike, but not quite as strong as people think…

Eh, you’ve had 5 warranty replacements? That’s literally the first time I’ve heard of a Pitch frame cracking – what the hell are you doing with it?

deanfbm
    Free Member

Also should have really asked, are you happy with your current size? Do you feel the need for any larger or smaller? (let the penis jokes ensue) 🙄

mbr30
    Free Member

6ft
    2011 Pitch Pro
    Large
    Standard Stem

XC mainly. Trail centres, Peak district etc

Would like to put freeriding but like most people, who am i kiding!

nosedive
    Free Member

at 6 ft I am happy with the large even though my friends laugh at the lines I have to take around hairpins due to the long wheelbase.

grum
    Free Member

Sometimes I would like a smaller size for jumping etc, but for most general riding the Medium is great for me. I tried a small and I didn’t like having to have the seat as high as it would go to get a decent pedalling height.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

5.11 and 3/4″

Free-core mince (did a 2ft drop last night)

Standard 2011 bar and stem (60mm/710mm IIRC)

Medium

I tested a large, and while it would be better on the ups and XC stuff, and may actualy ahve been faster, it just felt loo much like I was passenger on the downs. I’d say 6ft is the cut-off between the two sizes. Riding from A to B I think it’s too short/upright, heavy, wallowy, but once you’re at B it’s ace.

twotonpredator

medium running 160mm wotans, 40mm stem, 760mm bars, pro 2 evo/flows, dropper post. i am 5ft 10″.the steering is just right now, very upright but for me very comfortable for all day thrashing. I find this to be the best position to be in to help get the weight over the back for manualling due to the ridiculously long wheelbase.

the bike is capable of warp speed given its stability due to the low bottom bracket and long wheelbase. the wide bar/short stem combo helps with the quickness of steering needed for warp speed.

its is very wandery on climbs but i have the travel adjust on the wotans which drops it to 120mm for climbs. it was never much of a climber though even when it was built lightweight with 150mm revs and fully locked out propedal.

sv

6ft ride a Medium with 50mm stem. DHlite and slowly 😉

Has Coil Lyrics and a DHX5 coil, miss the Propedal for the ‘up’ bits but it is fun going the other way. Yes I know the DHX has some sort of PP but it aint as good as the RP2 PP for some reason.

sv

Seeing as you asked:

xiphon
    Free Member

Sorry for the confusion – 5 cracks, 2 replacement frames.

First one cracked on the upper shock mount, and underneath the BB shell (where it is joined to the down tube), and on the drive side chain stay, just behind the BB.

Had that about 7 months before I found two more problems. Vertical crack, right hand side, up the weld between the head tube and downtube. Second crack was the right seat stay, just above the chainstay pivot.

Sold the replacement frame still in it’s box from Spesh.

Here’s a pic (sorry it’s a bit yellow… no idea why!?)

Then with a coil shock, and new wheels…

And an ‘action’ shot…. second day of ownership.

robgarrioch

6′ here, have an ‘L’ 2009 Pro, standard stem (75mm), just bars (25mm wider), grips (comfort / lock-ons), saddle (comfort), pedals (preference) changed from O.E. Used for trail centres, light – all-day xc, long days on black-dash O.S. map trails, last years STW Weekender… Once used to it, it rode like an extension of my body… man… Don’t DH, though the bike easily will.

Wouldn’t mind trying an ‘M’ as I feel I’m just able to handle the size / length of the ‘L’. Stability? Could build a house on one of these.

frogger
    Free Member

Robgarrioch, just drop to a 50mm stem and you’ll be fine, probably enjoy riding it more too. 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

5’10 riding a small pro frame with 50mm stem and 745mm bars,tough wheels,dual ply tyres,pikes,1×10 slx,superstar chain guide.
    Riding aggressive trail,dh,techy rocky stuff,jumps,big drops etc where my Cotic Soul may suffer.
    Happy with length, in fact its perfect length wise for me, a touch more standover would be nice in an ideal world but i’m glad i didn’t go for the medium.

deanfbm
    Free Member

^That sounds promising to me stevede.

I have the intentions on going on 30km+ rides regularly, but will no doubt resort to just hammering downhill tracks, tech trails and some jumping/drops. My riding is definitely more “gravity” orientated.

I am torn between small or medium. I have a small frame sitting here right now, was advertised as a medium, definitely a small though. Trying to make my mind up before I send it back. I can’t and wouldn’t want to build it up for a tester, though it would be infinitely beneficial to me, hurt shoulder and morals get in the way.

I’ve been doing a bit of geo calcing too.

My current frame is a NS surge 2, 23.5″ eff tt. Comparing this and the small pitch i have sitting in front of me. the small pitch has an eff tt of 22.25″. Eff tt is only a good indication of how long the bike will feel in the saddle, as soon as you’re out of the saddle, eff tt becomes nonsense. the small 22.25″ eff tt Pitch is actually 0.5″ longer then 23.5″ eff tt of the NS surge, horizontally, bb to bars.

I’ve just put my seat 1″ forward on the rails of my current ride, and am going for a poodle along the road for a bit, see how it feels space wise.

I think it is more important for me to have the space when im out of the seat as that’s my default position.

I need to do some thinking.

Also, thanks for the many responses.

stevede
    Free Member

I think if mine was any longer when out of the saddle it would feel quite barge like even with a small stem.
    My only issue with the standover is that a normal seatpost at hill climbing and on the flat height for me needs to be about 330mm minimum length wise to be in safety in the frame and this means you can’t drop it fully down due to the bend in the seat tube but due to the low standover i wouldn’t want to drop it fully down anyway.
    If you have a dropper post you won’t even have to think about this but i thought i’d make you aware in case your taller than me.
    Not that it counts for much but the MBR review a few years back recommended sizing down as have a few on here and sdh.

lucien

Ok, here goes

6ft (just under) tall

Try to jump of anything and everything I can find – tables, gaps, drops etc

Stock stem (50mm I think)

Ride a Large frame

When it comes to it, I’ll be changing the stock Pikes (140mm) for some 150/160 mm forks, widen the bars a bit and shorten the stem by 20mm or so. Thats about it, other than the fact that I love the bike – it’s coming the to Alps with me this year again

aeromarcuk
    Free Member

I have 2009 medium pitch in brown, 160 wotan up front. 720 Octane bars, Hope tech M4 brakes(will stop a train, well my 16 stone). 5’10” 40mm BBB stick up stem. Bash guard instead of big ring. Stinger for security.
    Used mainly for trail centres and local trails/tracks. It has performed well everywhere I have taken it.

For me this bike needs 160mm fork.(for trail centres and fast S/track) The change totally transforms the bike. It is long and I have thought of changing to small frame. Stock RP2 shock is excellent cant understand why anyone would change it.

It is tough as hell, I am surprised anyone broke it let alone 5 of them. It feels rock solid on the downs and steering is bang on. Climbs OK too pro-pedal is a bonus.

If you can not justify a bike for each environment and need a competent all rounder, I think this is a very good option.(It is exactly why I bought one, after months of research) There are lots of this type of bike on the market now but this one is pretty good value.

I have just ordered Cotic Soul HT for 2nd bike. More suited to long all day rides and with Thor fork 100-140 can be transformed for all but the most scary gravity rides.

The truth is that the majority of MTB’ers have bikes which are capable of more than the rider, it is just a matter of finding the bike and set up that makes you smile the most. Experiment till it comes good.

In the words of Albert Einstein, “I thought of this while riding my bicycle”

deanfbm
    Free Member

I ended up on a small, zero regrets.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Pitch – Your height, riding style, stem length and size?’ is closed to new replies.