• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by bol.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Specialized frame sizing?
  • willard

Does anyone know if a "Large" frame would be ok for a 6'5" chap like me (35" inside leg), or would I be looking at trying to find something in XL?

If there is a bike-specific sizing chart or something, then I am looking at the Stumpjumper, but right now weighing up the choice between the FSR and the HT versions.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

I'm 6'4" and ride a large, however I only have a 33" inside leg. Your best bet would be going and sitting on one.

glenp
    Free Member

You really need to know how long you like your bike, and then just refer to the published data. Having said that, I personally wouldn't buy a bike without having ridden or sat on one to double-check size. Having said all of that, I'd expect you to need XL.

willard

Thanks guys.

Well, that's a bit arse… The only decent bike shop I have near me (as in range of bikes stocked etc) is Evans in MK. I went there yesterday and was stunned at the lack of catering for the taller chap. All the display bikes were mediums and so were no use to me.

Looks like my foray onto the internet flea market might be thwarted then.

Coleman
    Free Member

Not sure if this is any help but the Specialized size guide states;

Large 5' 10" to 6' 3"
    X-Large 6' 2" to 6' 6"

willard

Well, that just about seals it then. Looks like I need XL. Which is arse.

lardman
    Free Member

yep… they come up slightly under sized if anything. I've got little legs, and a medium is only just big enough for me.

Try it, or get the larger one to be on the safe side (if you can)

wwaswas

you might be lucky – the more 'extreme' frame sizes are the ones that tend to get left unsold and reduced most.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I used to have a L stumpy FSR – I'm 6 ft and inside leg 32 and was spot on so I would guess you'd prob be XL?

edsbike
    Free Member

Definitely XL. I have a large FSR and I'm 5'11" and it's about right with a 90mm stem. I do have fairly long legs though. I can't see many shops stocking an XL, other than one of the concept stores.

trailmonkey

ime spesh are odd sized frames. i struggle to get comfortable because i'm inbetween sizes. test ride is the answer.

willard

That's the problem. There appears to be no one within 50 miles of me that stocks the larger framed bikes. Evans did say that I could pay them 50 notes to get one in (fully refundabe natch) then take it for a test ride, but since I am trying to get something second hand, it's turning into a whole lot of pain. At this rate, I'm going to be riding my 20 quid ratbike well into next year.

Why is the world biased against tall people? And before you ask, I am not sure I could sneak the cost of a new Stumpy past the wife without "comment" as it were. I like my testicles. I especially like them attached to my body. They'd stay there if I spent a few hundred on something second hand, but they would be somewhere else if I tried to explain how 1500 quid plus happened to go missing from my bank account at the same time as something shiny appeared in the garage.

BoardinBob

There appears to be no one within 50 miles of me that stocks the larger framed bikes.

Where are you?

Good bargain here

http://www.totalfitnessbath.co.uk/products/2009_Specialized_Stumpjumper_FSR_Comp_Second_Hand_21-1508-14.html

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Willard, have you tried Phil Corleys in MK? They usually have a decent selection of Specialized to sit on, it´s where I bought my FSR from last year.

mattp
    Free Member

Willard – I've got an '09 carbon epic expert in xl. i'm 5'11" with 32" leg. it fits me fine but is quite long. like glenp and lardman said above it's about waht feels right and what you feel comfortable on…

bol

Don't know if this is any help, but I tried the large stumpy before settling on the extra large, which at 6ft4 with a 34ins inside leg fitted me a treat – what's more, the frame is currently for sale in the classifieds if you're interested?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

phil corleys has xl, i was going to buy to my fsr last week from there, but went for a giant instead…

so it think its the best place or down in newport pagnel, they have there a place also stocks xl and l

willard

Cheers for the pointer towards Phil Corley's. I'll try and persuade the Mrs. that it's a good idea to head west again this weeked (maybe another trip to Xscape will ease my concience for "getting lost" on the way there and "finding" a new bike shop on the other route.

Oh yes, spoke to my old local bike shop in Ipswich and the chap on the phone recommended that I go with XL or XXL (21" or 23" if their website is to be believed. He's also suggested that I retain my testicles by going for something hardtail and not full sus, as they are cheaper.

Bol… Just about to have a look now.

**Edit – Just had a look. Niiice. How does the pitch compare to the FSR and the Stumpy? Your description suggests longer travel.

bol

I would have dropped you an email by response Willard, but I'll risk the wrath of STW by posting my response here as there isnt an addy in your profile:

The Stumpjumper FSR is a great 'bit of everything' bike. You can race it cross country, spend the day on it in the lakes or whatever. It is very good at most things, and one of the best all-round trail bikes I reckon. The Pitch is excellent down hill, bearable up hill, and ridable all day, but only the down hill bit is really fun, and the rest of it is alright.

For general riding, I'd certainly go for the Stumpjumper – and objiously I'd go for the one I'm selling 😉 instead of spending twice as much on a bike where you don't get to choose your own spec.

If you're in Ipswich, you're not far from me in Norwich. Drop me an email if you'd like to take a look or know anything more.

Incidentally, I really wouldn't go for an xxl if you can avoid it. The problem is that the bigger they get, the longer the wheelbase, which makes them less chuckable. I'm sure at 6ft5 you'll be fine on an xl.

Hardtails are often cheaper – really depends what you want. I usually ride a hardtail now because I find them more fun for the sort of riding I mainly do, but a full susser will be more forgiving, often faster, and a lot less of a handful on more technical terrain. Again – a second hand stumpjumper might be just the right price/bike compromise?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Specialized frame sizing?’ is closed to new replies.