Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Specialized Enduro – Shock advice
  • yorkshire89
    Free Member

I picked up a second hand 2011 Enduro frame that came with a Fox RP23 shock a couple of months ago. The frame fits me really well and feels great on steeper stuff compared to the zesty I had previously.

I’m not sure if the shock has been serviced before, and I’ve noticed that when you let the air out you also get a bit of green gunk coming out of the valve, is this normal?

The shock also seems to blow through most of its travel with ease, just unweighting and weighting, although I never feel it bottoming out on drops/rock gardens. I run around 25% sag. I find it hard to get any pump on jumps, the shock just seems to soak it all up. Also pedalling seems a bit inefficient, but I can put up with that upto a point.
    The pro pedal also seems to make very little difference, even in the firmest setting?

Is this to be expected with a 160mm rear end, or the suspension design of this frame?
    Is it worth getting the shock serviced (around £100), or tuned?
    Or if I’m spending would it be better to upgrade the shock for something else?

Tracey

We have run Enduros for a while had one with a RP2 that was upgraded to a RP23 which we felt was a lot better shock. My S Works had a RP23 as standard and worked great until I smashed the frame. At that time my daughter had a S Works with the Cane Creek double barrel CS air so we were able to do a like for like comparison and there wasn’t any noticeable difference. My new frame has the Cane Creek on it but I certainly wouldn’t have upgraded to it.
    If it was me I would have it serviced by either Specialized UK or TF Tuned. We have had work done with both of them and it has been first class.
    Always ran the Fox shocks on a lbs body weight = lbs air pressure

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Thanks Tracey, when you had the pro pedal on would the shock stiffen up much? The pro pedal lever doesn’t have the same spring action to it that my RP2 on the Lapierre had, so may be faulty?

Tracey

On both the RP23s you could tell when they were on but not the same as a RP23 which I was running on a Marin Wolf Ridge. I think it may be down to how the Enduro back end works. I never had much bob when it was climbing.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll get the shock serviced and see how I get on. I guess the seals inside may be gone if the green gunk coming out isn’t normal.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I got my Fox CTD serviced and custom tuned by the good folks at J-Tech suspension. I really wanted the shock to be more supportive in the mid stroke, ie whilst doing a techy climb – It has never suffered from the bottoming out that some folks have reported.

First rides with it in the lakes last weekend – incredible difference. I could never really notice a huge difference between climb and trail, so ended up riding it in trail mode most of the time.

Really noticeable difference now, firmed up considerably whilst pedalling, without losing the nice plush feel in trail and descend. I’m delighted with it, and it was only 20 quid on top of the service price.

Was back within 5 days too. Well worth the money.

astrozombies
    Free Member

I had same symptoms on you on my ’12 enduro with RP23.

Sent it off to be push’d and serviced by TF and it is now perfect, pro pedal lever has a very noticeable effect and the shock doesn’t blow through the travel.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Excellent cheers 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Enduro – Shock advice’ is closed to new replies.