Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Specialized Diverge or Giant Defy Disc
  • rhid

If it was your money, which would you buy?

I am stuck between the 2. I like the idea of the diverge as it can go on bridleways etc more readily but the Defy looks like amazing value.

It will be used for commuting, road riding and whatever else really.

I just don’t know!!

scotroutes

We bought Diverge ESWs as a road bike for our hire fleet this year. Loads more flexible than a Defy and they are really well put together. If I didn’t have my Amazon I’d have dibs on one when we sell them off in Autumn. Check sizing though, I’m not convinced Specialized have quite got their recommended frame sizes right.

rhid

In what way? Size up small or large?

The diverge is currently the most interesting one. Its the A1 sport with Sora.

WOuld there be any issues going up to 10sp on this? Its only Sora 9sp. I was thinking wheel compatibility, but surely thats only if you go up to 11sp you need to worry about that?

iainc

I have a Defy disc as my good summer road bike – if I was riding bridleways I’d rather be on a Diverge (or my Croix De Fer … 🙂 )

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Defy disc is not proper hydraulics iirc, i would not get this year’s model on that basis.

rhid

I have found a few interesting looking deals on diverges. Once 52cm one 54cm. i’m 5″6 so specialized say 52cm. I am not sure how easy it is going to be to get a test ride on one and I am keen to not miss out on one of these deals.

So How do they size up? My initial impressions is that the 54cm may be a bit more appropriate. Can any one offer any advice?

iainc

Defy disc is not proper hydraulics iirc

iainc – Member
    I have a Defy disc as my good summer road bike

I should have been more specific, as mine is a higher model with Ultegra hydraulics. I’d still not choose it for non tarmac riding…

andysmiff1
    Free Member

rhid – Member
    I have found a few interesting looking deals on diverges. Once 52cm one 54cm. i’m 5″6 so specialized say 52cm. I am not sure how easy it is going to be to get a test ride on one and I am keen to not miss out on one of these deals.

So How do they size up? My initial impressions is that the 54cm may be a bit more appropriate. Can any one offer any advice?

5’10” on a 56cm Diverge here. Fits fine. Also got a 56cm Roubaix disc – pretty much identical in geometry/feel.

A

tillydog
    Free Member

…i’m 5″6 so specialized say 52cm.

5’6″ here and a 54cm Diverge is about perfect. I originally tried a 52cm one but it was too small.

(Welcome to a test ride if you’re anywhere near the N Wales coast.)

Go for the DSW, if you can.

rhid

That is good info! I was on the North Wales coast but am now in nottingham, otherwise I would have loved to have a go!

maddyutah

5.7 on a 54 diverge,tried 52 too small
    great bike,have used mainly on road.Very happy with mine

pedroball
    Free Member

with the secteur, I’m 5’8″ and on a 52, which was fine for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Diverge or Giant Defy Disc’ is closed to new replies.