Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Specialized butcher control. Opinions?
  • haribojangles
    Free Member

Saw on the product picks on pinkbike today the specialized butcher control and sounds really good. Anybody else tried them? I currently have minion dhf 2.35 front and rear. The specialized is lighter and is tubeless ready.

squaremonkey
    Free Member

Just picked one up for the front last week, have had minion dhf and hans dampf on previously and the butcher seemed just as good as both but seemed to feel like it rolled quicker. I would have kept the Hans Dampfs but there wasn’t enough clearance on my frame, but having tried the specialized tyres I’m more than happy with them.

Will be sticking with a Butcher on the front and a purgatory on the rear from now on – pretty reasonable as well. Will see how they cope in the snow tomorrow!

Northwind

I think they’re ace- it’s a better Minion, basically. Not as sticky on wet rock etc as a supertacky, but comparable on dirt and mud etc. I’ve never got to try mine in dry dirt 😆 Seems to clear mud better, though that’s harder to say as you can never cross the same mud twice. Roll much like a maxxpro minion.

The 2.3 is the size of a 2.5 Minion, btw.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Just about to pick one up.:)

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Had a set for just over a week , so far mixed views, after using Conti’s Mountain King 2 UST on my 823 rims I was expecting a simple changeover. Mounted fine but will they go up and stay up! They seem very porous I have added about 85ml of Stans sealant so far and have had to give up on the rear altogether going back to a tube with the tyre. On Gisburn they are great roll fast and grip well.
    Used a compressor to inflate by the way…
    Great price from Freeborn too.
    Good luck
    Rich

Northwind

Stans recommend 90ml or more sealant for a tyre this big, fwiw. (3 oz)

None of my 2bliss tyres have been porous at all, they tend to deflate over a couple of days til they’ve had a couple of rides but they all stayed up fine as far as riding goes. How long are they taking to go down (and how much use have they had?)

JCL
    Free Member

I think they’re ace- it’s a better Minion, basically. Not as sticky on wet rock etc as a supertacky, but comparable on dirt and mud etc. I’ve never got to try mine in dry dirt Seems to clear mud better, though that’s harder to say as you can never cross the same mud twice. Roll much like a maxxpro minion.

The 2.3 is the size of a 2.5 Minion, btw.

Spot on.

The really good thing about these tyres is that you can also run a 1.5ply SX casing Butcher up front if you go somewhere rocky and fast. Not as light as the Controls but the sidewalls last longer.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

North wind, I was planning to add a little more liquid and try again this weekend. They go up and stay inflated for 12-14 hours (overnight) typically, when I return to them they are very soft. The stans fluid can be seen coming thru pinprick holes in the sidewalls. I managed half distance around the red at Gisburn before I had to stop and as they were coming off the rim on the back wheel.By contrast the contis go up and stay up beautifully never needing any attention after the initial fitting.
    Regards
    Richard

stevede
    Free Member

I have a few control tyres set up tubeless and haven’t had any sidewall issues. The butcher control is a great tyre IMO, a bit more predictable in the slide than the clutch. I think spesh have got it spot on with the control series for trail bike duties.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Totally agree with stevede
    I’m fairly new to tubeless this is my third tyre and I recon its quicker and easier than fitting a tube and I’ve been doing that for 30+ years.
    Right tyres+Right rims=No flaffing

creedy
    Free Member

With regards the last post, I’m looking for new wider rims for my stumpy elite. Currently running tubes but have the 2 bliss ready tires. Planning some big rides this year and really want to go tubeless. Any suggestions?

stevede
    Free Member

I have stans arch ex with yellow tape and superstar valves, conti baron front, minion dhf exo rear with a couple of scoops of stans on one bike and mavic en521’s with stans conversion kit (valves and strips as one), spesh butcher control front, purgatory control rear, 2 scoops of stans. No major issues on either set up, tore the sidewall on an old baron that i’d set up on the rear which was already quite threadbare but the front held full pressure after a few inflations, bit of shaking and 1 proper ride.
    Stans flows if you want something wide, strong, light and tubeless ready (my arch ex’s are holding up well though).
    All went up with a track pump.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

So, more sealant , quick pump with track pump and bob is your uncle.went up and stayed up. Thanks for your advice north wind . I’m just out into the snow to test them out
    Richard

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Specialized butcher control. Opinions?’ is closed to new replies.