Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Specialized blind bearings
  • dufusdip
    Free Member

This must have come up before but the search didn’t come up with anything.

Stumpjumper carbon 2014 and struggling to get the blind bearings in the drop outs removed. The excellent superstar removers don’t work because of the lip between the two bearings. Tinternet has a threaded rod with a slot and open up the rod using a screwdriver.

No luck with that either.

Anyone any other approaches that have been successful?

chakaping
    Free Member

My LBS had to order a special tool in to do them on my Enduro frame.

All I know is it took ages to arrive, but I’m going in this week so I can ask for more details if you like?

Simon

I used blind bearing pullers on my Pitch.
    Some bearings came out ok but a couple of them the centre came out leaving the outer race in the frame. I had to carefully Dremel these out.
    Next time I might pay someone to do the job for me!

nickdavies

The blind ones at the back are a pain. There’s a simple tool you can make google katec bearings specialized and sift through, you can’t buy them anymore but it shows how to put them together.

rene59
    Free Member
    Onzadog
    Free Member

I use my blind bearing puller but I’m sure some people have used rawl bolts to grip the inner race.

windydave13
    Free Member

https://flic.kr/p/M3jkBs

Have a look at the above. So far the easiest way I’ve found to remove them. Fashioned from a piece of threaded bar and and a groove cut such that you can get a screwdriver in to expand behind the bearing. Then use a socket/washers/nut to extract

dufusdip
    Free Member

It was the threaded bar/groove method I’d tried but it wasn’t gripping.

A trip to B&Q for rawlbolts later, and the M6 is too small for the 6801 inner race, and the M8 is too big, even despite trying some ‘fashioning’.

So thanks Rene59, I hadn’t spotted them on eBay, so given they are bearing specific it feels like a better chance of success.

The Postie shall be harrassed daily until they arrive!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Specialized blind bearings’ is closed to new replies.