Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • special constable?????
  • bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

If i became a special would it enhance my chances of being a regular pc?? Its something iv allways wanted to do but never known how to get started, any help from current coppers???

labsey
    Free Member

Not one myself but know a few, pretty much the only way in to the force round here is starting out as a hobby bobby.

djglover
    Free Member

I think it’s a big route into the met. I was offered a place but had a last minute change of heart. Most I applied with were younger folk looking for a foot in

stumpy01

Yep, my OH did that for two yrs before joining up ‘properly’…

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Yep I’m a special and can recommend it 100%. Best thing I ever did, if your serious about the regs then it gives you the opurtunity to try the job before fully committing. It’s not for everyone.
    The majority if not all forces now only recruit from existing police staff so your only goin to be able to apply if you work already as police staff, Special or PCSO.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

So its worth it then, sticking out my shitty day job and be a special, i guess u get a heads up on any positions comming up etc, whats the strain like on family life??

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Like anything it’s a challenge but a worth while one.
    If your successful in getting a place then they will train you up, give you a new skill set, take you under their wing and develop your skills base and you as a person. They pay you food and travel expenses so you are not out of pocket and all they ask is to guarantee you’ll give them the equivalent of 4 hours of your time a week. If like me you’ll thrive and want to put in more than 4 hours. As they they say, you get out of something what you put in.

If your concerned about impacts on family life then think about what an impact studying would be, financially and time wise. In fact think how much time and money you put into cycling or any other hobby. If you are interested in a job in the regs then its a no brainer.

Once your through the training you pick and choose what hours you want to do and when. Nothing is forced on you. Your a volunteer and its in there interests to keep you sweet. I tend to do at least one shift a week but it barely affects the family. On a Thursday night, for instance, I might hit the station after work and do 18:00 – 00:00. I’ve done 150% of my requirement in one evening and lost no more family time than if I’d gone riding.

aracer
    Free Member

Well if I know one thing about them it’s that they’re not trustworthy. Not in the same way an old fashioned policeman is. Especially if you get a bit lost when trying to return to your house.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Quite a statement aracer. So how did you come to this massive generalisation?
    Oh and how did you identify the officer as a special?

Peyote
    Free Member

Oh and how did you identify the officer as a special?

That’s what I was going to ask, don’t they dress the same as normal PCs? Not like PCSOs who’ve got loads of blue on their kit?

easygirl

My god there are some asshats on thus forum, how the hell can you say special constables are not trustworthy.
    Is that all specials, or all the specials in your town, or just one that you have personal issues with

domtastic
    Free Member

I’ve been a special for nearly 3 years now, and as already mentioned I couldn’t recommend it highly enough, even if you don’t want to do it full time, I love it. Helping to police the olympics was a recent highlight.
    I know the Met do the majority of their recruitment from specials and PCSO’s (the exception being the recent graduate scheme recruitment), and a lot of other forces are now doing this as well.
    In terms of time it doesn’t really impact on my life as I organise my shifts around my life, but I’ve had to deal with incidents and people that I would never normally come across, and that has impacted how

theotherjonv

I’m with aracer. I don’t have direct experience but my old man was clear on this point.

RustySpanner

Come on aracer, don’t dilly – dally, answer the question!

allthegear
    Free Member

err – what’s the difference between a Special and a PCSO? I hadn’t realised they were different until the comments above.

No idea why, all of sudden, I’m even thinking this would be a good thing to do…

Rachel

domtastic
    Free Member

That’s what I was going to ask, don’t they dress the same as normal PCs? Not like PCSOs who’ve got loads of blue on their kit?

In the Met they have SC crowns on their epaulettes, and their name badge will have ‘msc’ on it, the rest of the uniform is exactly the same, other forces don’t make any distinction When dealing with the public, I identify myself as a police officer, not as a special

piemonster

“special”

Peyote
    Free Member

err – what’s the difference between a Special and a PCSO? I hadn’t realised they were different until the comments above.

My understanding is (and I hasten to add, I’m not in “the trade”), that a Special is simply a volunteer Constable, so has all the powers, training etc of a normal PC but doesn’t get paid for it and isn’t full time.

A PCSO seems to be a cut-down version of a PC, fewer legal powers, I guess less training and fulfils a different role to the PCs and Specials.

wwaswas

if the OP’s name is a clue to where they live then, having watched 999: Emergency for the past few weeks, I’d be looking to join somewhere outside of Blackpool 😉

I have a freind who went from special to PC. My sister just joined up as a Police Officer. I think the former is now an easier route with the way that numbers are being cut etc. (my sister joined about 10 years ago and is a Chief Inspector and District Commander now).

RustySpanner

Have to say, one was particularly useless when I lost my van once.

My own fault, I suppose.
    Not fair to tar them all with the same brush.

binners

The obvious next question…. How did you lose a van, fella?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

If your successful in getting a place then they will train you up, give you a new skill set, take you under their wing and develop your skills base and you as a person

Like redacting statements, typing while a senior officer dictates, beating pickets as they pass through your lines in those special places that don’t bruise, selective memory loss, etc. 😉

I am joking, some of my best friends are black policemen. 😀

wwaswas

How did you lose a van, fella?

and did it turn up in the back of a drawer a few weeks later?

RustySpanner

I blame the bird I was with at the time, Binners.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think it’s easily done binners if you’ve got a cock to contend with too.

nbt

Getting slightly back on topic, most forces are very keen for you to experience life as a PCSO before joining, and indeed some will *only* accept new recruits from the ranks of PCSOs. Some aren’t recruiting at all.

This thread might be worth reading if you are serious

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/a-coppers-lot

EDIT – hadn’t actually realised that PCSO differed from “Special Constable”, can someone explain the difference?

aracer
    Free Member

I also lost my van once. What’s worse, it had all my stuff in it.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

NBT – a special is basically a volunteer police officer with the same powers and responsibilities but isn’t being paid for the pleasure. Dress the same, use the equipment etc

A PCSO is the one’s you will see a lot of on the streets (Dressed with the blue trimmings) just because of the nature of their role. They are Police COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICERS and their prime role is to engage with the community. They work full time and are paid a salary. They are not and do not have the powers of police officers. In my experience they do a fantastic job and can be a wealth of experience / knowledge within the communities building up relationships with the public.

That said the role of the PCSO are likely to be phased out in the future the way things are going. Which in my eyes would be a massive shame.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You should have written down the address, aracer: all your fault, you could have been out all night.

hora
    Free Member

I think anyone who wants to get into Specials is doing so as they want to give something back to the community- they are not ‘untrustworthy’.

There are probably the odd power-tripper who slips through but I doubt many do.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My son has recently started his training with Avon & Somerset Police, it took him about 5 years in total to get in, and for most of that time he was a Special Constable, so he’s had plenty of time to decide if he’ll like the job.

konabunny
    Free Member

I think anyone who wants to get into Specials is doing so as they want to give something back to the community- they are not ‘untrustworthy’.

Didn’t you read the posts above? Plenty of people join the specials because they want a full time job as a police officer (which is fair enough).

hora
    Free Member

Plenty

Quantify the number? As far as I’m concerned its a taster for force entry but also people who are genuine/good citizens. 🙂

gravitysucks
    Free Member

One thing I found when starting is that there are a massive proportion of career specials. Those that have no intention of joining the regulars.
    There has been a large proportion of specials joining in the last few years wanting full time posts this has mainly been due to recruitment freeze and subsequent internal recruitment.

I know specials that have been serving for over 20 years. I can honestly say I would love a full time post but it would also mean a mahoosive pay cut to leave my currant job so I could very well end up being in the specials for a long long time.

hora
    Free Member

One thing I found when starting is that there are a massive proportion of career specials. Those that have no intention of joining the regulars.

I’d love to do my bit but I couldn’t see myself joining full time.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

To be honest Hora its not a bad way of doing things.
    Getting to put something into the community without having to put up with all the internal politics and shift patterns that comes with a regular job.
    You pick and choose your shifts and walk away when you want.
    Get on it fella, you won’t regret it. I was looking for a new challenge after things getting stale in the day job and a challenge it certainly is.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Get on it Hora

GMP Recruitment

RustySpanner

Hora, Specials have previous for taking advantage of drunken women.
    Is this a wise course of action, considering your reputation?

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Id love to join as a special to gain experiance and to get a taste of the job, i did the doors in blackpool for 6 years at the syndicate (biggest club in uk) i was the only lad who had no complaints or court cases against, i even got given a card from a riot copper to ring up hutton training centre to get more info, hed see me every weekend dealing with the dregs and he used to try talk me into joining and at the time lancs constabulary were hiring, wish id of jumped then tbh, now im in a depressing job and feel im wasted, id like a challange and be proud to say what i do for a living , the wife keeps saying that id be good at it due to my size and my attitude and determination, im sure theres a rule that u cant work in the town u live in as a pc due to you running into mates etc and the risk of “letting em off” is this correct? I wouldent mind being posted in blackpool tbh as id like to make a differance as me and the wife are planning on having nippers so would like to feel im doing my bit, i guess its just wait till ur called up then?? I am deadly serious as i dont want to be working for some arrogant shite doing menial labour the rest of my days, iv never had the opportunity to progress or had guidance i feel lost tbh.

crankboy
    Free Member

I have massive issues with the politics and powers of pcso’s but believe that Special Constables are massively beneficial to the police and the comunity and that they should be encouraged.

My only ever bad experience with a special was one in Lincon who came accross as a compleate Tackleburry and used so much police jargon and code that he was incomprehensible to every one in court and i suspect his fellow officers but his heart was in the right place.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘special constable?????’ is closed to new replies.