Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Special bbc news report on snow?! Basingstoke – 1500 cars abandoned?
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

So a 45 min journey ends up taking 11 hours for some,1500 vehicles abandoned,average speed down to 1mph,folk sleeping in shelters etc.

what was so diffrent about the roads,tyre choice,snow type and temps down there compared to up here?

some dont agree on this, but did anyone attempt to drop tyre pressures? I did and i managed 65 odd miles in snow to the highest village in the u.k along with all types of vehicles from big lorrys to small cars making the journey.Things ground to a halt on hills as the bigger stuff couldnt find the grip but they managed to get going again.Over 60+ miles of the A9,there wasnt even one vehicle off the road.

There needs to be something in the driving test to get it into peoples heads that foot to the floor doesnt give you grip and to ask questions on how to cope.

As for special reports on snow conditions every year they get a bit of snow..

sorry,it gets covered each year on here but its getting a pain in the holio now.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Foot to the floor works if you have good traction control 😀 But I agree.

cp

i think driving on ice (and skid control etc…) should be mandatory – a two part test, one as currently and a second part in a skid pan area. you need both to get a full licence.

I saw someone out last night having a driving lesson, I thought it would be an excellent idea for additional tuition.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Euthanasia is the only answer

nickc

I suspect it probably has to do with the fact that a) it really was a blizzard, came out of nowhere, dumped huuuuge amounts of snow very quickly. b) no minor routes were gritted forcing all cars onto main roads which were soon gridlocked with commuter and shopping traffic and c) Basingstoke is "world of roundabouts" rather than just easy straight roads, couple of cars not negotiating them brings the whole thing to a standstill.

I'd imagine…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Things are nearly gridlocked down south WITHOUT snow. Its the sheer number of cars/people more than anything.

Smee
    Free Member

It's because people from down there are in too much of a hurry and dont have the skills needed to survive in the real world.

martinxyz
    Free Member

yeah,"ice rink practical" around the country should be part of the driving test.. and with ice rinks probably within 80 odd miles of everyone,get it on! probably help save a lot of the ice rinks too.

having said that,i will go and nail the car later on lol.

nickc

You really are a ****, aren't you trolling Zoo Fighter

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's because people from down there are in too much of a hurry and dont have the skills needed to survive in the real world.

3 junctions up the M3 here in Farnborough, life carries on as normal. 😛

jedi

its hillarious seeing people panic brake and slide.
    going down a hill yesterday at 5 mph the cars in front braked and alll slid . i steered onto verge and down the hill then dropped in infront 🙂
    it was carnage last night

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's the volume of morons that does it. That and I understand several women we allowed out driving yesterday.

aP
    Free Member

Most of the south east transport infrastructure runs at about 95% capacity. If you knew where to park 5 articulated lorries you could bring London to a halt in about 20 minutes.
    But then again the mythical north is all empty roads which explains the difference.

mtbfix

Yesterday's snow was real soupy stuff so the first cars packed it immediately into ice and there was little to no grip on any of the hills. Last week's snow was a bit drier and gave up much more grip so we had fewer problems.

In Reading it was a traffic volume issue in the main part. Once one vehicle blocks one route the whole town starts to lock up. My colleague left at 4pm yesterday and gave up on the car 300yds/1 hour later.

MattPhotos
    Free Member

The trouble is learning to drive a car doesn't teach you to actually look at the road itself at all.
    If you ride a motorbike or cycle (which I am assuming most people on here do occasionally) then you are used to looking at the road and making decisions based on where to position yourself and when not to brake or steer. There are millions of car drivers with skills that just about cover 'steering into a skid' – if you get that far on a crowded road its already a bit late.

Bunnyhop

Hey joolsburger – I was taught by my driving instructor how to drive in the snow, mind you this was many, many years ago, when the emphasis was to teach you how to drive and not how to pass your test. 🙂

Just heard on the new that John Lewis in High Wycombe let the customers sleep over night in their store and used the bed department, this made me chuckle.

martinxyz
    Free Member

well we could have an "offroad evasive action practical" as well.

refresher tests to warn folk of "mad tony" approaching from behind screaming "coming through!" as he bounces past. lol

coffeeking
    Free Member

going down a hill yesterday at 5 mph the cars in front braked and alll slid . i steered onto verge and down the hill then dropped in infront

So you just didn't bother braking and took to the pavements instead 😆

Not sure that ranks above panic braking!

joolsburger
    Free Member

My good lady is a considerably better driver than me it has to be said. In the snow her 5 years living in the alps shows.

I drive like a 75 year old granny.

madeinyorkshire
    Free Member

What Hills ?
    Most of the BBC footage showed cars sliding about (on full revs !) on FLAT roads. Southern knobs.

Aristotle
    Free Member

ut then again the mythical north is all empty roads which explains the difference.

Rochdale yesterday:

Aristotle
    Free Member

Most of the people driving cars do it as a means of getting from A to B. They find it a bit of a chore and give it no thought whatsoever.

Despite everybody being an above-average driver, too many people drive "on the brakes", too close to the car in front and are far too harsh with the brakes/throttle and steering. Modern cars are very stable in good condition even when driven badly.

Reduced the grip available and there is chaos.

….having gone through an 'exuberant' driving phase, the quick car phase, the motorbike phase and the learn how to do it properly phase, I am positioned firmly on my very high horse 😉

Bunnyhop

Aristotle – I want one of those ^^^ but with a little bit of suspension.

crazy-legs

Most of the people driving cars do it as a means of getting from A to B. They find it a bit of a chore and give it no thought whatsoever.

In London particularly people often have NO idea of distance. It's SO easy to walk/ride around London yet most people will just get into their car/onto the tube etc with no concept of their spatial awareness. And because going by car takes so long most people assume it must be bloody miles cos it takes an hour to drive.

A lot of the problems with snow in this country come from the fact that it warms to +1 or 2 degrees, it starts to melt then freezes again overnight and continues in this cycle so you get ice, fresh snow, ice and solid lumps of gritty snow as well. On the continent it just stays at -5 and there's no problem. Certainly when I was in Finland it was just normal – everyone knew how to drive in snow, the transport infrastructure all worked fine but then they expect it, they're used to it and the temperature stays at -10!

cinnamon_girl

In defence of Basingstoke, it does have a different weather system. Check your car temperature gauage as you drive between junctions 6 and 7 on the M3. It's always colder.

I do a fair amount of riding in that vicinity (yes really, you would be surprised!) and there definitely is a difference, often 3 or 4 degrees in winter.

takisawa2

It happened in Birmingham a few years ago. Rain>Sleet>Snow then a sudden freeze. Didn't affect me but the Wife got caught up in it. She got home about 3hrs late, but there were some right horror stories from her work colleagues. One women sat on the bus for 3 hours & it covered 3 miles. I pointed out that it would have been quicker to walk but it fell on deaf ears.
    To cap it off Traffic Wardens were out ticketing abandoned vehicles. 🙂

Notter
    Free Member

So your gist is "Southern softies can't handle snow"?
    C*ck…..have you considered that the roads leading to the main A roads / motorways were completely and utterly untreated? You could have been running a flat tyre and still got no grip in some places.

And all northerners burn when the sun comes out, haven't they heard of sun cream? 😉

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

I cycled home into Reading in it yesterday, and I am quite glad I wasn't driving. It wasn't so much the amount of snow (although there was enough), it was the consistency of it. Big, wet flakes that created a pretty slippery surface. Even riding a bike (with slicks on), I was reduced to pushing up some fairly innocuous hills, just because I couldn't keep up any traction. It wasn't the sort of snow you can really get much grip on at all and, on untreated roads, I'm not surprised at the chaos it caused.

Aristotle
    Free Member

So your gist is "Southern softies can't handle snow"?

Yep 8)

Notter
    Free Member

I stand by my original thoughts then……
    🙄

AndyP
    Free Member

Rochdale yesterday:

ahem. if that really were Rochdale, the locals would have stolen the horse for a)sexual gratification and b) food. Also that appears to be a detached house in the background.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

hmmm.

I don't think there needs to be a test extension – I think if you had to try to pass a test today you'd see how hard/expensive for people to get a license these days. France/Germany don't have special snow tests for drivers, and they get a lots worse weather than us! (though they do employ the common sense gland a little quicker it seems!)

I think with the current weather, half the country don't know whats wrong with the other ohalf purely because everyone is experiencing massively different conditions. Yesterday, on the usual drive to guildford, it took me an hour to go the two miles up Dyke Road due to ice/snow/traffic. 10 miles away, the sun was out and the roads were fast and dry.
    It probably WAS pretty bad, and the fact is that we live in a mild country where this really doesn't happen that often.

As for the news, well, it's news. As someone said before, the snow and ice had a far greater affect on my life than the impending strikes, but I got that fairly relentlessly for a week.

Of course Martinxyz, maybe no-one in the south of the country is as good a driver as you. but it's unlikely.

Andy

Goan – Premier Member

😆 remind me to quote that one back at you when you get a bit grumpy with someone on here because you cant cope with what they say! 😆

I live about a mile from the A4 which was gridlocked last night. Ended up giving someone from the local shop a lift home because her husband had been stuck in Caversham 4 miles away for 3 hours. I dont think it was anything to do with peoples driving habits. There has been no gritting of minor roads in Berkshire, which meant that already snowed up and icy roads became impassable, given the volumes of cars that us the roads.

Anyway I'm off out on my bike to play 😀

thepurist

Took me 7 hours to get from Henley on Thames to Camberley last night – about 25 miles. It was nose to tail crawling traffic all the way – the gridlock seems to have been started by a panic exodus around 2-3ish when the snow got heavy and everybody tried to get out on the same major roads, which promplty jammed up thereby preventing gritters from getting out. None of the roads I was on were particularly bad to drive on, a bit slushy/slippy in places but all passable with care, but if you put all the cars in the SE on the same few major roads there's only going to be one outcome.

The curious thing is that there seemed to be no attempt to deal with the situation at all – perhaps a few coppers at the key roundabouts making sure that numpties in one queue didn't block access/exits for other traffic would have freed things up a bit.

DezB
    Free Member

It's because people from down there are in too much of a hurry…

Why are they always crawling along in my bloody way then?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Shall I ask my brother?

He's a Highlander who works in Basingstoke and I'm fairly certain he'll give us an objective, unbiased answer which should settle the discussion…

I'll txt him now.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Notter.. hardly any of our main roads or back roads get treated for us going to work.you rarely see gritters and snowploughs out these days.Up here there has been winters with temps down to -25c over the past 10 years and its been so cold that when you walked outside,eyeballs couldnt cope with it.once that was overcome,getting into the car and driving home 30 odd miles wasnt great either but it was possible.very much like driving offroad but possible.Its the warmer temps that cause more havoc and our temps have been similar to the whole of the uk as of late.the mention of temps dropping down 3 or 4c doesnt add up either.It should make it easier on the snow that they appear to have on the roads.

Jimbo in sunny brighton..

sorry for coming across as a god behind the wheel. you picked it up all wrong. im crap in snow and usually take it a lot slower to make up for the lack of skills if and when it went wrong.. but i still get there.

If the speed dropped to 1mph-5mph and everyone with summer tyres dropped pressures right down, and everyone knew not to put the foot down and take it really easy on corners.. then they would have got home.the wind speeds that threw the snow over the country this week havent been harsh and as a result you can see that most places that got the most snow between both ends of the country pretty much got the same amount.

The A9 has suffered over the past 5 years or so and lately they have been cutting back on the spending so its going to get even worse.the past few drives home have been over snow that was there in the morning. nothing is getting cleared.everyone gets home though.nobody stops off in bedding shops like hamsters.
    ;O)

martinxyz
    Free Member

Most scots burn up here quite easy.heres 2 reasons.

1)Theres nothing up above blocking the uv like other places in the country.Its clear up above. Smogless!

2) Check out Descent World for Jon Es report on his skin cancer.. and how he found out that the sun was so much stronger than when he was in europe.

giantjason
    Free Member

its people not having a clue how to drive. i cycled home through Reading last night, without any issues and found it quite fun, and was amazed at how many people just put the car in 1st gear, rev'ed the engine, dropped the clutch and wondered why they are spinning!!

everyone then started panicking after they had been in traffic for hours and decided to use the bus lanes which meant even more congestion.

on my whole cycle home, around the IDR i did not see one gritter or police presence anywhere.

The best story was when i came across a German who was cursing everyone else on the road. He was sitting in his car with snow chains on shouting 'why are all you crazy people in my way'!!

martinxyz
    Free Member

We pushed some guy out of the carpark outside the workplace last year. he revved it to hell and span it while we got sprayed with snow.. we told him to take it easy and started rocking it again.he finally sussed it out.

He managed to get out the carpark.. then he returned later and got stuck once again. couldnt believe it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Special bbc news report on snow?! Basingstoke – 1500 cars abandoned?’ is closed to new replies.