Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Spearfish configuration question. BB/HT2 stuff
  • weeksy

Morning lads.

I’m running a Spearfish in the UK. Was built up by my LBS in part but mostly by me.

Last time in there i asked him to fit the PF / HT2 converters.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71306

I then ran a standard XTR HT2 bottom bracket.

When swapping due to excessive play in the BB, i noticed that he’d set the spacers up with 1 spacer on the non-drive side and no spacer on the drive side. I assume this was for chain line reasons rather than anything else ?

So i was just wondering how you’d work out the correct chainline etc ? Something like, if in middle ring on front and middle on rear your chain should be perfectly straight? or…..

Reason i ask is that the cheapo BB i fitted (came with the cranks) seems to have developed a creak, (which i’ll confirm tonight with a pedal swap) So i’ve bought a HOPE BB to aleviate this issue, just wanted to make sure i fit it in the optimum way.

I rarely use my LBS, but i trust he built it this way for a reason, he’s very very good, i only got him to do it as i didn’t have an appropriate tool for the pressing in of the cups/adaptors.

thanks.

khani
    Free Member

If the converters are 73mm wide when fitted then you should just follow the instructions for a HT2 bottom bracket fitting, ie 1 spacer driveside, no spacers non driveside..
    Iirc the converters just make the bottom bracket a standard width to fit external cup ht2 bottom brackets..
    Unless there are specific fitting instructions with the bb converter.

weeksy

Unless there are specific fitting instructions with the bb converter.

Not that i’m aware of….

I may do that this time…

gee
    Free Member

The correct spacers for the Spearfish for a Shimano-type HT2 BB are one on the drive side and none on the non-drive. It’s a 73mm BB shell and this is what you would fit if it was a normal BSA threaded BB shell.

It’s exactly the setup I have on mine.

GB

gee
    Free Member

Good luck getting the old BB out of/new BB into the adaptor without removing it from the frame…which needs special tools…

weeksy

gee – Member
    Good luck getting the old BB out of/new BB into the adaptor without removing it from the frame…which needs special tools…

It was effortless mate… Well, maybe effortless is an exageration, but it wasn’t particularly tough, I’d say it was torqued a bit more than i usually do, but that’s about it.

Thinking about it, maybe the creaking is from me not tightening it quite as much when fitting this one … maybe not,.. but maybe.

I’ve got a few more things to try like a new set of Wellgo B54’s to fit first, just in case it’s a pedal, also a different pair of wheels in case it’s something really obscure on the Pro2’s…. but i think it’s the BB.

gee
    Free Member

Have you spotlessly cleaned and greased everything? BB adaptor, BB threads, crank splines, pedal threads… Mine doesn’t creak at all (that’s me cursed…)

GB

weeksy

gee – Member
    Have you spotlessly cleaned and greased everything? BB adaptor, BB threads, crank splines, pedal threads… Mine doesn’t creak at all (that’s me cursed…)

I will do… but the fact it’s at the same spot of a pedal stroke every revolution when climbing/pushing hard makes me think it’s the BB… but will swap spacers over and clean everything tonight and then give it a run like that, then consider swapping bits…

But i want the HOPE BB anyway even if it doesn’t go in this week.

STATO
    Free Member

Ive got one of these in mine, nice solid setup.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/praxis-works-bottom-bracket-converter-prod29259/

KZP894
    Free Member
    weeksy

Well, I once again have silence. Apologies to my BB.

I whipped it out, cleaned everything and moved spacer over.

Then fitted new front gear cable and indexed, finally fitting some spare pedals.

Not sure if the B54’s have thrown in the towel after 2 years or it was the cleaning,’ I’ll test more later in the week.

But all is quiet.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Spearfish configuration question. BB/HT2 stuff’ is closed to new replies.