• This topic has 44 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by al_f.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • spd's versus egg beaters
  • DWH
    Free Member

I only get to do about 12-18k a year on them

That's some serious miles Joxster, about 40 miles every single day of the year. And if you've been using the same pair of eggbeaters since 2001 that's roughly 120,000 miles until their first service last year.

Just out of interest, how many chains did you wear out in the same time?

prettygreenparrot

I've had some candys since I picked some up in America when the pound was worth something. Before that I used SPDs. And before that I used those weird strap things who's brand name I forget. They were purple with yellow writing so probably best forgotten.

The SPDs I really liked. But the CR candys just seem to click in & out a bit easier. And they certainly work better in snow & ice than SPDs.

No service issues yet with the candys but I liked the way that the LX-type SPDs could have an easy grease refresh.

I prefer the CRs, but the click-in is nowhere near as certain as the SPDs – no resonant 'click!'. And they do pop out if you step over rocks on your pedalling foot.

neninja
    Free Member

I've recently switched from spd's to Candy's – got a set of nearly new Candy 2ti and sourced a pair of upgrade Ti spindles from the US

The key benefits and negs for me vs spds are –
    Extremely light weight – less than 200g for the pair
    Easy to service and regrease
    Personally find the Candy's more intuitive to disengage
    Enough platform for riding unclipped through tricky bits
    They don't engage as audibly as the spd's but are easier to clip into
    Don't clog as easily with mud

llamafarmer
    Free Member

A little late I know, but another emphatic +1 for Time. I've had my Z Controls for about a year, ridden in all sorts of mud, snow and grit and they've taken a fair old beating from pedal strikes too. They're still absolutely faultless with zero play in the bearings. Lots of float and a lovely positive engagement.

al_f
    Free Member

DWH – Member
    That's some serious miles Joxster

No, he means 12-18 kilometres. 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘spd's versus egg beaters’ is closed to new replies.