Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SPDs – M530 v M785
  • legend
    Free Member

In the market for some new pedals and like the look of these two. Is there much point in spending double the money to get the m785s though? the differences seem minimal… any information greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mark

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I asked myself the same question and went for the 530’s, I think they were about £30 as opposed to £70ish

legend
    Free Member

Yeah £30 against £60 on CRC just now. That the more expensive ones use an Allen key on the axle and baby ‘XT’ written on them seems to be the only difference

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry ignore me I bought M540’s !

rocketman
    Free Member

Have both pairs and back-to-back the XTs spin a bit easier but otherwise there’s very little difference. Apart from the looks of course.

Personally I think the whole ‘trail pedal’ thing is a massive con the shoes are no more in contact with the platform than they are on any other SPD (have some M980s as well)

twohats
    Free Member

Personally I think the whole ‘trail pedal’ thing is a massive con the shoes are no more in contact with the platform than they are on any other SPD (have some M980s as well)

According to Shimano, the M780 has 5x more pedal to shoe contact area than the M770 and the M785 8.5x more contact than the M770. So you’re wrong, a massive 3.5x increase in contact between regular and trail SPD’s!!!!!…….

cheers_drive

I think you only feel the benefits of a platform if you have relatively flexable soled shoes.
    The biggest benefit to me is that for some reason I can’t work on the trail pedals are easier to clip into, making dodgy starts at the top of technical sections easy.

rocketman
    Free Member

According to Shimano, yadda yadda yadda

^^ works for Shimano

joao3v16
    Free Member

Get the M530.

I got some M520’s (normal SPD’s, look like the non-trail version of the 530).

Been absolutely fine for 12 months, no slop in the bearings, mechanism still tip-top.

I can’t see the need to spend £50+ for something possibly marginally better.

tetsujin
    Free Member

I got a pair of M520 for £17 from CRC just after Xmas and there supurb 🙂

Why spend more unless you have lots of spare cash and want a super light bike or just like posing with brand tags.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

M780’s are easier to clip into though. I have M520 and in the cold and with a bit of snow they were a bastard to clip into though unless I cleared snow from the pedal and cleat. I never had that problem with eggbeaters but they fell apart rather quickly which is more annoying. However as I own a shop and I bought mine on a special offer they were even cheap so I don’t mind.

Icidently the price for these are now £22 from CRC where I have marked up at £20, a bit to keen.

FOG

I’m with cheers_drive, I just find 530s easier to clip in especially in the ‘desperate scrabbling’ moments when starting off on a steep hill.
    This week while riding in the ice I have found them useful for balancing the foot on when you’re unwilling to commit to clipping in for fear of being on your ear. Obviously you can rest foot on any pedal but I find these easier than preceding 520s

granny_ring

If you’re getting a few bits they’re cheaper on Rosebikes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SPDs – M530 v M785’ is closed to new replies.