Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • SPD-SL's on an MTB ?
  • weeksy

I’m toying with trying the SPD thing again for a few rides… But only have my road SPD-SL’s…

Any logical reason I shouldn’t do this ?

scotroutes

As long as you never have to get off the bike at any point, it should be fine,

simondbarnes

As long as you never have to get off the bike at any point, it should be fine,

This

weeksy

shouldn’t be a factor really, it’s only going to be a local XC ride, I may have to stop and fall off in the woods on my own… but apart from that, shouldn’t need to stop at all. No roads, junctions etc.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

shouldn’t be a factor really, it’s only going to be a local XC ride, I may have to stop and fall off in the woods on my own… but apart from that, shouldn’t need to stop at all. No roads, junctions etc.

Good luck with that then… 😕

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

SL’s are crap when introduced to mud.

weeksy

elaborate on ‘crap’ please. fall to bits ? don’t work from a clip-in perspective ? don’t go round well ?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Slightest bit of grit/shit in your sl cleats and you ain’t clipping in. I have to tread carefully in the winter when venturing into the hedge for a piddle.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

More likely to not be able to unclip when they get dirty.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

There’s a reason why you don’t see people with them on Mtb’s they don’t work.

njee20
    Free Member

Have you actually tried?

If you stay clipped in you’ll be fine, I’d suggest it’ll be a pain if you put your foot down in some mud, but they’re not gonna explode when you go through a puddle!

A friend used them for some XC races with no ill effects.

theotherjonv

You can get entry level shimano for £16, pedals and cleats, if you look online. Do it properly otherwise you’ll not know whether they really work, and if you don’t like them you’ll get £12 back for them ho issue – I’ll buy them off you for one!

njee20
    Free Member

May need shoes too, and frankly if road shoes are the only option I’d rather use SPD-SLs than SPDs.

hooli

Don’t see why it would be an issue for occasional use. They will obviously wear faster with the grit and mud but it I cant see you not being able to unclip after just 1 ride.

nemesis
    Free Member

As above, they MIGHT be sticky if they get mud in the mechanism or between cleat and pedal but they’ll more likely be fine for the riding you’ve described. I don’t think that the cleats will last long though if you do it regularly.

njee20
    Free Member

Between mud and pedal is where it’ll cause issues, as the tolerances are quite tight, moreso than SPDs, however they’re a very open design, so they won’t clog per se. The issues will be grip if you put a foot down and having to kick the pedal over to clip in. I’ve used Keos on the MTB a few times and not died.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can you make it up all the hills?

If you have to get off and push any bits, the cleats can die very quickly on rough ground.

Don’t ask how I know that.

cookeaa

I’ve recently adopted SPD SLs on my Road bike, there’s no way they would be a good idea on my MTB, there is a reason Shimano, Time and co have two different systems for on and off-road use…

Go shopping for some m520 or M424’s I’d even say you could probably get a decent pair used as they’re nigh on indestructible IME…

Then for cheaper MTB SPD shoes I’ve found Decathlon’s basic trainer style ones aren’t actually too bad at all for the money.

These look bobbins but do the job for £30

Shop around, it doesn’t have to cost you a fortune…

weeksy

I don’t care if it costs me £10 LOL… thats’ £10 more than I’m prepared to throw at it today. I’ve not got on with SPds in the past, so it was a fleeting idea rather than a lifestyle change.

If it’s not a great idea, i’ll stick with flats and 5 10s

njee20
    Free Member

I’d say fine for the odd ride when you’re confident you won’t be walking, but not a long term solution. Ignore the doom mongers who’ve never tried it telling you they’ll explode.

Also be aware that road shoes generally don’t have reinforced toe boxes like MTB shoes, so any rock strikes or anything could hurt more.

lunge

njee20 is correct. It’s not an ideal solution by any means but if it is a ride with no walking and minimal chance of needing to put a foot down you’ll be fine. Try it, got to be worth a go before you thrown any money at it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I tried it once, clipping in is almost impossible with even the slightest bit of mud.

They don’t float as easily as SPD’s (more allowing the foot to find it;s natural posiiton and stay there, whereas SPD’s allow constant movement) which feels wierd in corners/jumps.

They don’t unclip very easily in a crash evenont he lowest setting the release tension+friction is much higher than SPD’s tension.

The cleats wore out to the point of not staying in the pedals before the ride was over (and cleats cost more than entry level SPD’s).

cookeaa

I don’t care if it costs me £10 LOL… thats’ £10 more than I’m prepared to throw at it today. I’ve not got on with SPds in the past, so it was a fleeting idea rather than a lifestyle change.

If it’s not a great idea, i’ll stick with flats and 5 10s

You’ll just bollox your Road shoes, so stick with the 5-10’s…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘SPD-SL's on an MTB ?’ is closed to new replies.