Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • SPD shoes with good allround cleat clearance (but still grippy)
  • hora
    Free Member

Recommendations? Cheap though. I can’t do £70+ etc as my Spesh shoes have all lasted 1yr each.

When I first started riding with spd’s I had some Shimano’s with no cleat clearance and I kept on falling off clipped in as result.

Should I reconsider Shimano’s?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im not sure what you’re looking for? All SPD shoes will have enough cleat clearance, if you can get your foot in, why cant you get it out?
    Was the tread somehow preventing release? If so you could always trim the tread with a knife.

binners

Have you tried Northwaves?

I use a pair of these for commuting and have never had a problem unclipping. Mind you, never had a problem with Shimano’s either

Or 661’s are pretty good too, and more up your street in a darn wit da kids stylee

Are you sure its not just because you have cornish pasties instead of feet?

monkeyboyjc

i bought some of these Shimano M087G from crc earlier in the week (reduced to 49.99 at the mo)the cleat clearance looks like this (not my photo).

hora
    Free Member

Thanks binners will have a look at those 661’s. Those Shimano M087G had the same side clearance issues my first Shimano’s had (with unclipping) – but it looks like it has side bars ready to cut down?

unklehomered
    Free Member

I have shimano MT41s which are on their way out, and no discontinued. Great for clearence and grip for that oh-so-important dab.

nearest replacement model seems to be the MT43

cynic-al
    Free Member

Never had a problem with shimano

binners

I’ve had a few pairs of the 661’s. They’re uber-comfy and fantastic for day-to-day use. I commuted in them every day (and happily left them on all day, off the bike), and used them generally off road. If you do this they will fall apart after 12 months. I used to just buy another pair at that point, as I liked them that much

The Northwaves are far better quality. Much more substantial! Miles better than more expensive Specialized! I’ve been using mine for over 6 months and i just give ’em a clean, and they look as good as new. I reckon they’d outlast 2 pairs of the 661’s or Specialized BG’s. I’d recommend those, to be honest.

sillyoldman

What pedals are you running?
    I used to have to increase the size of the cleat cut out area when I used Times, but with Shimano pedals, the clearance around the cleat is fine (funnily enough) on Shimano shoes.

hora
    Free Member

DX platform spd’s- there is also the option to shim out the cleats I guess. That should help.

binners

How about these…

with a nice pair of Argyle socks? 😀

sambob
    Free Member

Never had an issue with my Scott Comps, but you might due to the platform. How about Shimano AM45?

titusrider
    Free Member

must say i really rate specialized shoes, ive had 2 pairs in the last ten years…

monkeyboyjc

Those Shimano M087G had the same side clearance issues my first Shimano’s had (with unclipping) – but it looks like it has side bars ready to cut down?

seems strange what spd’s are you using – shimano spds with shimano shoes have always been fine for me – if you’re using DX style shoes the sole is thicker than normal so just shim them out.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I replied then noticed it was a Hora thread.

Leave logic and rationale at the door chaps.

hora
    Free Member

Or maybe its a personal preference thing?

I’ve always used DX platform spd pedals. with these the Shimano’s that I had were literally LETHAL. As soon as I switched to using Spesh BG MTB shoes on the DX’s it was like a night and day. The thing is I’m tired of the later (QC shite) Spesh shoes- they changed the design to the detriment and now the shoes just don’t last anymore. The first pair lasted 4-5yrs.

spacemonkey

kept on falling off clipped in as result.

I’ve never understood how people manage this. Maybe cos I’ve been riding SPDs since my teenage roadie days, but even then I found them easier to use than clips.

Anyway, I recently opted for a pair of Shimano XC50N and so far they’re awesome. Good clearance, easy release, stiff enough, waterproof uppers (walked through a bog this morning and have dry feet for a change) and slipper-like comfort.

Maybe it’s your style/mind that’s causing the issue, not your pedals/footwear?

hora
    Free Member

Maybe it’s your style/mind that’s causing the issue, not your pedals/footwear?

I prefer to be clipped in tight. I’ve no issues at all with getting out of spesh’s. Even when I crash.

binners

Hora… how long were the BG’s lasting? Its not really realistic to expect a pair of shoes that are constantly covered in shite and soaked, while being put under the stresses of clipped in cycling to last 4-5 years. I’ve had a pair for a couple of years. They look very lived in, but they’re still going

hora
    Free Member

The last two BG sports didn’t even get to a year before the heel seperates on both.

Evans Cycles said ‘you’ve obviously used them’.

No **** dickheads. They are for use on MOUNTAINS aren’t they? so the 2 yr warranty is for towpaths and road commuting then is it?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Are you using the correct cleats? Some Shimano cleats don’t release reliably from some Shimano pedals. The technical data for your SPDs will tell you which are the correct cleats to use.

hora
    Free Member

Are you using the correct cleats? Some Shimano cleats don’t release reliably from some Shimano pedals. The technical data for your SPDs will tell you which are the correct cleats to use.

Thats something to look into- ta. I use multi-directional release cleats.

BenjiM

Another vote for Shimano XC50’s very nice shoe. Got mine on offer at MTB direct for £60. Not on offer any more though.

binners

You can’t get out of multi-directional release cleats? Aren’t they the sort of Fisher Price ‘my first cleats’ ones? How tight have you got the pedal release? Why not back them off a bit? 😯

sonofapitch
    Free Member

661 filters FTW + you can walk in them and go to the pub.

hora
    Free Member

I’ll look into the Filters. Ta guys.

Binners, when your around next let me know- we’ll have a pint and put the world bang to rights.

labsey
    Free Member

MT41s. Will pay about £50 Can’t go wrong with them. Also look at loosening the clip if you can’t get out.

hora
    Free Member

They look ‘retiree’…no 661 Filter.

continuity
    Free Member

I’ve not found anything they won’t grip on.

Heavy, mind (430g vs mavic’s top end carbon shoe at 340g). I’m thinking of changing for some higher end xc mavics and putting some trail running gaiters on them to keep debris out.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘SPD shoes with good allround cleat clearance (but still grippy)’ is closed to new replies.