Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SPD shoes in the washing machine?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Since I had a ride on Saturday which included riding through some river flood water my SPD shoes have been a bit smelly to say the least. Even my wife has asked me to do something about the smell in the garage!

I’ve sprayed them with the hose but they still smell. A more serious clean is required. Can some SPD shoes with a hard rubber sole go in the washing machine or will I damage either shoes or machine?

mrmo
    Free Member

i have done it before, tend to put them in a pillow case to stop metal cleats catching on anything.

But only as a last resort, prefer washing up liquid and scrubbing brush as a little kinder.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’d wash them in a bucket personally. Leave to soak for a while. Have you tried washing the insoles in the machine? That is probably where most of the smell is.

windyg
    Free Member

I wash mine in a bucket as well and let them dry in the airing cupboard

fatmax

I’ve done my commuting shoes in the washing machine no problem, and they came up great.
    I was pondering whether my Goretex Shimano boots would be ok…I don’t see why not on a 30 degree wash.

johnnystorm

When you’ve done it treat yourself to a shoe dryer!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I do mine in the machine regularly. 30c hand wash setting

paulwf

When my shoes get excessively smelly it is usually as i haven’t dried them properly by stuffing full of newspaper.

I’d hand wash them in a bucket and then stuff full of newspaper. Change the newspaper several times to get most of the water out, and then change the paper every time it feels damp

bikebouy
    Free Member

Drum roll please ……

[video]https://youtu.be/ftE-ik-FjUg[/video]

boblo
    Free Member

Often the smell is bacterial. If they’re clean but smelly (like trainers get), put em in a carrier bag then in the freezer overnight. This’ll kill the smelly nasties.

bikebouy
    Free Member

How about a tried and trusted method. One tab, a bucket of warm water, soak for about two hours, towel dry, leave to dry off in airing cupboard.

jruk
    Free Member

Pretty sure the OP is single. My first thought was: I’d be dead quicker than the washing machine if my Mrs saw my riding shoes in there.

OP, if you can’t be arsed with the soaking / drying hassle, spray them with detol. Worked for me.

cp

I’ve put my shoes in the washing machine for years without issue. Just select the do not spin option and let them drip dry till they’re not running with water anymore and then radiator to dry. Never had any issues.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

yup throw em in with the rest of the gear, works for me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SPD shoes in the washing machine?’ is closed to new replies.