Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • SPD shoes for touring
  • njcisca

Is there a shoe with recessed enough cleats for easy walking? Always do a fair bit of wandering around towns and into shops and cafes. I have some Shimano MT43 which are fairly recessed but the cleats still scrape the ground on hard surfaces which isnt ideal.

drovercycles
    Free Member

We stock a Mavic touring-specific shoe, the snappily-named Cyclotour or Cyclotour sport. They look good – although I’ve not used them for touring (we used an older Shimano model on previous, long, expedition tours, and have used road SPD-SL shoes more recently). Like you, I’ve found the Shimano ones don’t have enough of a recess to completely separate cleat from ground.

The Mavic ones look like they ought to – happy to test it out for you if you’re interested. Details are here – difference is that the Sport has a buckle, rather than just velcro:
    http://www.mavic.co.uk/footwear-road-cyclo-tour-sport-shoe

AlasdairMc

I’ve got a pair of Pearl Izumix Alp Seeks which are basically running shoes with cleats. Very comfy off the bike, slightly flexy when pedalling though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve done a fair bit of touring, and last time I used SPDs when I’ve always used flat pedals in the past. I found after a few hours I was getting hot spots where the cleats were and numbness in my toes. Luckily I had double sided flat/sod pedals so I I clipped out and used the flat side, which cured the problem and proved it wasn’t the shoes. I won’t tour in SPDs again after that.
    The shoes are Shimano MT34 which look like a normal ‘Merrel’ style trainer/light hiking shoe and are very comfortable, indeed I’ve worn them all day at work a few times and they’re fine to stand up all day in. They still click a bit on uneven surfaces but there’s only so far you can recess the cleat on any shoe.

Saccades
    Free Member

Scott boulder from smart cycles – dirt cheap and very comfy.

scotroutes

Specialized do a BG Tour

TheBrick
    Free Member

I have the same problem. Love SPD for cycling but hate for walking especially on rocks. Slip slip slip. Tried clicpand straps last year. Thinking of trying pedal straps now but they seem over priced.

somafunk

I have a pair of these sidi epic shoes, flexible enough to walk in easily and they don’t scream cyclist, good chunky sole that keeps the cleat recessed and i can quite happily walk round the supermarket without any fear of skating down the aisles or making clackity-clack noises. I prob wear them for 80% of the riding i do, the other 20% when i wish to fool myself into thinking i’m a serious cyclist i wear my Fizik M5B mtb shoes but these have zero flex for walking and thus i only use them for roadie type rides on the tripster.

njcisca

Thanks all. Seems to be a few worth looking at, have Start Cycles nearby and LBS that does spesh so chance to try some on. I’ve not used any SPD shoes apart from my Shimanos so encouraging to know there are others with more recessed cleats.

We stock a Mavic touring-specific shoe, the snappily-named Cyclotour or Cyclotour sport. They look good – although I’ve not used them for touring (we used an older Shimano model on previous, long, expedition tours, and have used road SPD-SL shoes more recently). Like you, I’ve found the Shimano ones don’t have enough of a recess to completely separate cleat from ground.

The Mavic ones look like they ought to – happy to test it out for you if you’re interested. Details are here – difference is that the Sport has a buckle, rather than just velcro:
    http://www.mavic.co.uk/footwear-road-cyclo-tour-sport-shoe

Cheers these also sound promising – would be good to know if any has tried them out walking with cleats.

luffy105
    Free Member

I did a London to Paris last week and figured I’d be doing some walking. I changed my look pedals for spd’s with a cage around and went for the mavic tempo shoe.

The shoe was perfect and no hotspots even on a 92mile day. The cleat is well recessed and although you can feel it sometimes grounding out it doesn’t affect your walking. A very comfy shoe.

teasel
    Free Member

would be good to know if any has tried them out walking with cleats.

I have a pair. I haven’t really done anything but walk from my door to the bike store, ride without dismount and return but I only walk on grass. I can answer your query but you’ll have to hang on for a few days – I won’t be out tomorrow but I’ll be doing a quicky on Wednesday and will make the effort to have a strut around the tarmac atop Kop Hill whilst I have a quick breather. I’ll report back.

I also have a pair of Spesh Sonoma’s that are the best walking/riding shoes I’ve ever owned – completely recessed cleat but still able to clip in easily enough. Sadly they’re no longer made but their range might have something with a similar sole design.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

i have used shimano sandals for weeks of touring, camping and walking about places-not long hikes though -but have never had any problems-also avoids need for socks, skin dries quicker than any material, if its real cold an overshoe does the trick …

hilldodger
    Free Member

Shimano RT82s are spd touring shoes that stand up to long rides & are are only just a little clicky when walking, used thenm for years with no problems.
    Just splashed out on a pair of Giro Republics now the replacement walking pads have finally become availible and they are pretty much perfect if you can take the slightly “hipster” design

cp

I was surprised how good my new Shimano XC61 shoes are for walking in – the (shimano) cleat is well recessed and the sole is grippy/shaped f

They are a lot better for walking in and actually have more grip than my previous Specialized Expert MTB which are often used/recommended as a touring shoe.

bitasuite
    Free Member

I’ve just got some Giro Rumbles which are really nice

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

bitasuite, do you have the 2015 VR ones? How are they for walking off the bike? The photos look like they have reasonable soles for off the bike, but I’ve been bitten before by photos misrepresenting reality.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Yes they’re the new ones. Very comfortable off the bike so far with the Vibram soles. They look really nice too, I’ve had a few comments about them so far.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Have just bought some Shimano M089. I run SPD-SL on my road bike but these are my first SPD shoes. I wanted them for fixed commuting mainly, but with potential for MTB use. Also needed some walking ability for popping into town etc. I’m quite impressed. They’re comfy to walk in, but very stiff on the bike. The sole is chunky, non-marking rubber which seems fairly grippy. The cleats don’t touch the ground when walking. Recommended.

prezet
    Free Member

I use the Giro Territory, stiff enough to do decent distances on, and walkable sole. Not sure I’d want to walk too far in them though.

razorrazoo

bitasuite – Member

I’ve just got some Giro Rumbles which are really nice
    Posted 5 hours ago #
    UrbanHiker – Member

bitasuite, do you have the 2015 VR ones? How are they for walking off the bike? The photos look like they have reasonable soles for off the bike, but I’ve been bitten before by photos misrepresenting reality.

I’ve got a pair of the new Giro Rumble’s too. Very light and comfy with a decent sole for walking. They look very much like a regular trainer too (not like a disco slipper or hiking trainer) if that makes any difference to you.

trailhound101

I bought a pair of Shimano MT91 SPD boots at at Easter and they have been great. They look like a walking boot, with full ankle support, waterproof goretex liner and full, grippy vibram sole. They are really comfy and I’ve been wearing them on and off the bike. Walked up Nan Bield in them at easter with the kids – all day comfort! The cleats are recessed, they do click a little, but they are very grippy. Downside – pricey and a bit warm may be in summer (if it ever arrives!). Comfiest bikes shoes I’ve ever had. Love ’em.

wahoomcgoo
    Free Member

Take a look at New Wave Fondos. Had mine coming up to three years now and use for MTB and road. Very comfy. Decent stiff sole but good to walk in. Held together really well but would recommend a decent insole for them as the one they provide is pants.

njcisca

Liking the look of the Giro Rumbles – are they pretty much click free when walking?

I have a pair. I haven’t really done anything but walk from my door to the bike store, ride without dismount and return but I only walk on grass. I can answer your query but you’ll have to hang on for a few days – I won’t be out tomorrow but I’ll be doing a quicky on Wednesday and will make the effort to have a strut around the tarmac atop Kop Hill whilst I have a quick breather. I’ll report back.

Great if you could keep me posted that would be much appreciated.

teasel
    Free Member

Although the cleats appear to sit ever so slightly proud of the raised section of the sole they made no sound on smooth concrete despite jumping up and down a few times. I would imagine with a bit of wear they’d probably foul on the pavement but that could be said of all shoes, I suppose.

Re-reading your OP I notice you do a bit of town walking when touring – I wouldn’t want to walk too far in the Mavics due to their stiff sole; good for riding but not so good for a stroll. Possibly not the shoe you’re looking for.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

The show Drover recommended looks very similar to the M088 I use.

Not for touring but plenty of walking in. Considering how good they are for walking, they’re nice and stiff for riding and not at all clippity-cloppity when off the bike.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-and-protection/shoes/shimano/sh-m088/prd_500785_144crx.aspx

njcisca

Although the cleats appear to sit ever so slightly proud of the raised section of the sole they made no sound on smooth concrete despite jumping up and down a few times. I would imagine with a bit of wear they’d probably foul on the pavement but that could be said of all shoes, I suppose.

Re-reading your OP I notice you do a bit of town walking when touring – I wouldn’t want to walk too far in the Mavics due to their stiff sole; good for riding but not so good for a stroll. Possibly not the shoe you’re looking for.

Cheers for that. May look towards a more flexible shoe as the riding won’t be fast or particularly strenuous. Always hard to tell how much walking we’ll do but can be a full rest day off the bike wandering around looking for food and beer!

neilv
    Free Member

I use Chrome Kursk for touring. The look like Converse shoes and I have worn them on and off the bike for two weeks solid.

oliverracing

M088 user here (for touring and everyday use), when they are new there is very little cleat contact with the ground, only when on uneven surfaces, but they are still stiff enough for riding in. (but a little stiff for walking long distance in, but fine for popping into town/shops when on tour)

razorrazoo

njcisca – Member

Liking the look of the Giro Rumbles – are they pretty much click free when walking?

I’ve risked walking on our wooden floor in the house in them without damage. I can’t say there is a noticeable click when walking, and I can’t feel any cleat before sole contact pressure.

I use the shoes specifically for my ‘gravel’ bike, and wanted something more casual and less performance. I was going to buy the Specialized Cadet, ordered a pair but they came up small (word of warning here as I always seem to be dead on with size 8 in almost all shoes apart from Adidas), went to change them and noticed the Giros, they were a better fit and a lot less clumpy – I’m not into the hiking trainer aesthetic. Giro are definitely making some of the best looking shoes a the moment (my opinion of course).

ransos
    Free Member

My MT53s worked well on a recent tour. The cleat is fairly well recessed, with only a small amount of scraping.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘SPD shoes for touring’ is closed to new replies.