Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Spd cleat Mods.
  • smashinstella
    Free Member

Newbie here to forums folks so please be gentle. As a kid I suffered a lot with knee pain and have slightly knock knees. I usually run dmr v8 flats but have recently bought spd peddles, I used to ride with spds about 13 yrs ago with no real issues/ pain but after trying again today found that i couldn’t get comfortable, the tension is wound right off but I feel more comfort with heels tucked in slightly. Has anyone ever filed some of the cleat ovals where the screws fit to give more clearance or adjustment or even the recess where this clamps. My thinking is that a small adjustment may allow the cleats to be positioned at more of an angle?

STATO
    Free Member

Most shoes will allow a certain amount of twist in the cleat position, try slackening them off, adjust and re-tighten.

brakes
    Free Member

you should be able to twist them to an angle anyway. is it not enough?

bearnecessities

Happened to me too; pretty much same time difference as well – I actually think (and I spent a lot of time having pros looking into it without success) that it’s the ‘pull’ motion of SPDs that I can’t get on with now

DMR vaults + decent shoes. Yes, slower, but meh. I’ve got to point out (because I have my own issues) it’s ‘pedals’, one of those silly words like aerial which teases you to spell it incorrectly, as I do frequently 😉

smashinstella
    Free Member

thanks for the advice folks I’ll try and slacken and give it a go, they are the same shoes I used many moons ago which is why i couldn’t understand how I felt uncomfortable. Do different chain sets use different offsets could this be why I feel the difference? (no its not the same bike !)

STATO
    Free Member

Different cranksets do place your feet wider or nearer together, however this is usually only a few mm difference on all modern cranks but compared to your older ones there may be some difference. I think the obvious candidate tho is you, 13 years! thats a long time and you will not be the same shape, its an aging thing not an age thing. Mind riding flats for 13 years will also change what feels natural.

theotherjonv

Some pedals have more float in them (amount you can twist before they release) than others. Times being one example. Worth trying a pair of them if you can’t get SPD’s to work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Spd cleat Mods.’ is closed to new replies.