• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Spare fork, wheels and a stem – enough justification for another bike?
  • Vortexracing

Got a Marzocchi 66SL, some EX721 hope wheels and a 50mm Thomson X4 stem that I use for my Ventana on uplift days.

but most of the time they sit in the garage unused.

are they enough justification for another bike build?

thinking of a daft hardtail, I hate this bike building bug.

if so what opinions on frames, BFe, Alpine,

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Not enough spares yet to properly justify the time and expenditure IMO.

Wait until you have brakes and cogs as a minimum.

Plus, the cost of trying to pimp up two bikes is silly as you will find it hard to resist treating one bike and not the other. That is why both my bikes have Thompson posts and SDG Ti bel air saddles ODI lock on grips etc etc until i realised one only really gets ridden a few times a year.

Now I have 2 fully kitted out frames, 1 set of forks and one set of wheels.

Mister-P
    Free Member

My last bike started as a pair of forks and a pair of wheels. If you have the bug only one thing to do…

billybob
    Free Member

all you need is one component to build a bike around.. I’m looking the hope quick release I’ve got spare sat next to my keyboard & wondering what sort of bike it could be built into….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not enough spares yet to properly justify the time and expenditure IMO.

Absolute twaddle.
    😉

I’ve got a spare innertube. I could justify building a new bike round that if I tried
    😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

i can give you a set of flat bars and grips to help get you nearer justifying it if that helps… I think you can squeeze another one in the garage but can you squeeze it past the wife is the real question?

Vortexracing

probably need to give the full picture here, as I have a maxmax jump bike with brakes and a crank etc, so was looking to strip bits off, together with my nearly new XT rear mech and set of unused XTR cables.

Sell on the maxmax frame and build something strong enough to use on the local BMX track, withut the worry of breaking it and yet be able to pedal the thing around on 2hr ride locally.

so it’s not really and EXTRA bike more of a swap from one to another.

so the wife can have nothing to complain about, can she John 🙂

ononeorange

Yes. Get on with it and post up a picture of the finished article.

oldgit
    Free Member

Building a second/winter/trining road bike that started with a front wheel.
    That somehow attracted a FOC Dura Ace chainset, then an old Spesh frame came along c/w a seat post and front mech, then I found a set of Giant road bars and stem. But I have promised myself that this will be a pure money saving, mongrel old hack and no bling.

Vortexracing

I’m afraid that if i end up with 1 bit of bling on my bike than it would’nt look right without the rest being to the same std/quality.

Ie Thomson stem = Thomson post

‘matching collar and cuffs’

and yes i am very shallow

hillsplease

Get it built. Hang the expense. As long as it has somewhere nice and secure to live.

chakaping
    Free Member

Started my current build from a pair of DH tyres.

I don’t think anything we say will stop you anyway.

😉

ianpinder
    Free Member

I start my current build with an image in my head. So at least you have something to touch

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have a cable end cap here that is desperate to be built into a bike.

Lionheart
    Free Member

thing is where does it end…… just don’t go in our garage, or our cellar, or the potting shed, and that excludes the folder in the porch or frame on the wall… scan the STW each night… buy a bit at a time, just the right ones at just the right prices… before you know it…..

Vortexracing

Just been playing e mail ‘ping pong’ with Mike at Dialled Bikes.

unfortunately they are selling some small short Alpines off.

looks like I may become an Alpine owner, should go down hill nicely with 170mm 66sl’s on the front.

ianpinder
    Free Member

thats very unfortunate….. it would also go nicely with some pro 2 on 721 wheels

Vortexracing

‘unfortunate’ for the bank balance.

but i’ll look at it as ‘bike building korma’.

Vortexracing

‘unfortunate’ for the bank balance.

but i’ll look at it as ‘bike building karma’.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m buiding a new bike because a nice stem came along. Simples!

igm

Can we offer you any bits then?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Spare fork, wheels and a stem – enough justification for another bike?’ is closed to new replies.