Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • spank spike or dmr vault?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Treating myself to some new flats. Any strong opinions out there on pedals at this price?

sambob
    Free Member

Tried some DMR Vaults today, had DC skate shooes on. Flippin’ ‘eck 😯 Very very grippy, can’t imagine how grippy they’d be with a pair of proper flats shoes like 5:10s or Teva Links.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Used DMR Vaults for months now and have been very impressed, large platform, fairly light, fabulous grip with 5tens. Only minor gripe is the pins come loose so worth putting a dab of threadlock on each pin before you start using them. I’d definitely buy more, recommended.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Anyone ridden the spanks?

stevenieve
    Free Member

I like the Vault’s, good size platform 115sq cm for planting the 5/10’s on.
    Think the Spike’s are 90sq cm.
    Similar weights.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

went through this loop myself recently – ended up buying some Burgtecs

Onzadog
    Free Member

Last time I went through this loop I ended up with SuperStar Nanotech which I’m happy with. Just fancied something fancier.

GW
    Free Member

After seeing the diameter of the snapped axle on a mates Spanks I’d have to say out of the two go DMR.
    The Spanks also have a silly bulge right at the axle/crank interface which isn’t so great for spackers like me who like to jam their foot in there in certain situations. TBH I’d just get HT/exotic/nanos (buy a spare set if you’ve got money to burn)

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Nanos are great pedals, I just wanted something fancier. Have snapped the cages on the Nanos, but that was after 2 years of hard abuse, so pretty happy with that.
    What ever you do, don’t be tempted by Straitlines. Great grip, but you’ll be rebuilding them every month.
    Go DMR out of the two in your OP.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Humm, does seem questionable doubling the spend to save less that 100 grammes.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Been riding the spanks for a while now and (being generally a crap rider) have smashed them off drops,steps and pointy stuff quite a bit.
    Best pedals I´ve had and I´d buy them again.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Riding the Spank Spikes as well, again these are the best pedals I’ve ridden by far. Tonnes of grip, low profile and cheaper than the point ones.

You’d have to be a right idiot to snap these, you’ll rip them out of your cranks before you snap them. The really nice thing is they are wider than DMR V12s but they don’t ride further out, so you wont end up banging them on trees and roots like I have done with some pedals. The are also quite long which really helps with feeling planted on the pedal as well.

GW
    Free Member

Have you even see the axles before calling people idiots?
    – the bare axle, not the oversized bearing bulge on the pedal body

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yup. I’d rip them out of the crank arm before I bent or snapped them. In fact I’d prefer it if the pedals just bent instead of ripping out of the crank arm like one of my DMR V12’s did.

Perhaps your mate had a faulty pair, I don’t know of anyone else who’s managed to snap a pair…even on the interwebs.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Argh. Seems to be a fairly even split now.

wrecker
    Free Member

Both good pedals mate, you won’t go wrong with either. The vaults feel great to me, and I usually ride on point1 podiums.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Think i’ve decided to go with the Vault in Apple Green in the hope that it matches the green on the special edition Hope brakes!

timmys

Good choice. I’ve recently changed from Shimano DX30’s to Vaults and am loving them.

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve read mixed reviews about the Spank pedals, weak axles being the common complaint, dmr’s seem to get lots of good praise, i think if my Point1 Podiums die prematurely (left pedal bearings have loosened up and have a very tiny amount of play after only a few months use) i may well get some Vaults.
    I’ve just had a flick through Leisure Lakes latest ctalogue and have seen that Hopes new flats are going to have an RRP of £149.99. Now i like Hope products a lot but won’t be spending that much on pedals again. Still can’t beat the Nanos for VFM, i have a set that are 3 years old on original bearings just about to go back on my 456.

wrecker
    Free Member

Hopes new flats are going to have an RRP of £149.99

Have they been smoking crack?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did like the idea of the Hope pedals but I thought that was a bit steep. Also, ironically, I doubt I’d be able to get them in green!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘spank spike or dmr vault?’ is closed to new replies.