Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Spank spike and other super low profile pedals?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m looking for some nice, large platform pedals, lowest profile possible and 400g or better. The spank spike fits the bill, anyone using them? How do you tate them?

Northwind

Just a quick unrecommend as the HT AE01 and its family might come on your radar- they’re very thin, and can be cheap, but the bearings are utter shite. I’ve got 2 sets which I’m going to wear out but I’d never buy them again. They come up under some other names, there’s a Da Bomb, On One Thinny, I think my last set are Striker or something similiar.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks, I will bear that in mind.

honourablegeorge

I had the Point Ones, they were ace, but tiny, tiny outer bearings that don’t last, and are really hard to remove without crumbing and leaving races behind.

Newer version look ace, but they’ve all but shut down and since been taken over by Gamut, so not sure stock can be had.

doug_basqueMTB.com

The new Raceface are doing me well so far. Thin, light and bearing up well over the last 3 (very dry) months. Not cheap but really grippy.

andymc06
    Free Member

Just got some of the new Dmr V12’s. Only marginally smaller than my Vaults, same nice concave shape and masses of grip. I got the standard ones at around 430g but the mag ones are about 80g less and half the price of Vaults. Recommended.

jimjam
    Free Member

The Spanks feel really nice but the bearings that sit at the crank arm are poor quality and not up to the job. Which is crucial. I had three sets of Point ones. Best feeling, worts lasting pedal ever. Total shit. Proof magazines and websites never tell you the truth.

I’m currently wrecking some hope F200s. They are still going strong. I wish the pins were sharper but otherwise great.

tizzzzle
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for the HT AE01 bearings not being the best. Mine seem to have reached a level of play/roughness and not got any worse though.

I got these – same factory as HT but dirt cheap. They are ace

Those are the AE01, just with a different ‘brand’ on them, HT are the manufacturer. They’ll go the same way. They’re great pedals, just not very durable.

I’ve heard/seen similar problems with the spike pedals, it’s not a design fault, the bearings in that syle of pedal are just too small to be durable.

I’d stick with the moderately thin pedals like Vaults, burgtech MK4’s etc.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Had spikes for about a month, didn’t get on with the profile.
    Swapped to a set of Canfield Ultimates and they are much better. Need re-greasing fairly often to keep running smooth, and run on bushings not bearings which I think are wearing on mine but for a ultra slim flat pedal I doubt there is a better option.
    Also got a set of Vaults which are a good compromise between ultra thin and bearing life. I prefer the canfields for ‘feel’ though even if they are not as grippy.

scruff
    Free Member

i WAS LOOKING AT SOME FANCY fUNN PEDALS ON crc, NOT BOUGHT EM YET THOUGH.

BUGGER, SORRY.

Sorry. 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

The main contenders at the moment are the spike and the atlas, the canfields and podiums seem a bit elusive on google! The bike they are on will only be used a fraction as often as most riders on here, so longevity may be less of an issue for me if everything else is right.

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I’ve heard/seen similar problems with the spike pedals, it’s not a design fault, the bearings in that syle of pedal are just too small to be durable.

I’d say it’s a design fault in the case of the AE01s, the outer bearing’s completely unsealed and uses BBs about the size of a midge’s balls so isn’t really servicable either.

The plus side is, you can actually bin the bearing entirely- just pack out the space where it used to be with washers, making sure there’s a wee bit of play so the pedal can turn, then just let it run on the bushings 😆 Not ideal but it works.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Had hold of some of these the other day .

look a nice quality bit of kit , low profile . No idea on the bearings though.

jim25

I have the spank spikes on my dh bike and there are my ultimate pedal, absolutely love them. I also have a set of the hopes on my everyday bike and rate them as not as good as the spanks. Just not as grippy.

However I rode a demo bike with the race face atlas on and really liked them, to the point that when I can I’ll change the hopes for them.

Spank have also just bought out a new oozy pedal, similar to the spikes but abit light I think

daver27
    Free Member

Had the Spanks, bearings went in one ride. otherwise awesome feeling pedal.

have you considered the Specialized Boomslang?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Just ordered the spikes, thanks for everyones input.

leegee

Any other input on the Canfield Ultimates ?
    I’m going to be ordering them soon.

noltae
    Free Member

Just serviced my Spank pedals – soaked bearing in decreasing fluid then dried and re lubed – they feel like new – love them .. The shape is perfect !

jim25

My bearings went fairly quick on the spanks, but I just sent them back and they warrantied them and sent out a new pair that have been perfect ever since (2 years nearly)

matther01
    Free Member

Superstar deltas may have fitted the bill?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Spank spike and other super low profile pedals?’ is closed to new replies.