Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Southport airshow – apart from planes and anoraks – what should I expect?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

off to the Southport airshow (possibly – if man flu clears up) mainly just to see the Vulcan but having never been to a proper airshow before, what should I expect.

Went to buy tickets on line and they come with a seat number! I can't imagine there are grandstands on Southport beach.

I'd have imagined a picnic blanket, a chair and some binoculars would be useful but others may be able to provide more wisdom.

MrSparkle

what should I expect?

Tide being out.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Tide is always out at southport!
    I'm taking the boss and jnr tomorrow. Didn't know the Vulcan was there. What else is?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

The Vulcan is scheduled to be there on Sunday at 4PM.

crazy-legs

Red Arrows both days.
    The Blades aerobatic team are very good as well and the Battle of Britain Flight is scheduled to be there on Saturday (but not Sunday).

As for things to take – lots of food and drink, suncream, camera, folding chair or picnic rug. You won't need binoculars most of the time!

surfer
    Free Member

Tide is always out at southport!

Longest tidal range in Europe IIRC.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Its a long walk to the water, I know that much!
    Gutted about the vulcan, can't go sunday.

crazy-legs

Longest tidal range in Europe IIRC.

Bristol Channel surely? In fact, I think Morecambe Bay beats Southport as well.

beamers

Try Googling "Soutport Airshow"

'tis amazing what info is out there beyond this forum 🙂

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

The Blades aerobatic team are very good

Just been watching them practicing. Made me dizzy, and I was in the car!

binners

I took the kids last year and they loved it. They had a Eurofighter and a Tornado doing bomb runs on the beach, complete with pyro-technics. And the little uns were happily crawling over tanks and stuff all afternoon

If you take the kids though, get them some ear plugs. Those Eurofighters are little bit noisy when they go into a vertical climb directly above you

john_drummer
    Free Member

Let's hope you don't get the howling gale and rain off the Irish Sea that we got last year

mrchrispy

ah you've got me all excited now, I'm going to drag the wife and kids over to southport on saturday.

I assume traffic is going to be mental, any suggenstions from the STW hive mind?

I reckon parking up at formby might be an idea and getting the train into southport. Is it also worth paying to get into the main bit or can you freeload it from the beach?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Southport airshow – apart from planes and anoraks – what should I expect?’ is closed to new replies.