Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Southern XC races – how long?
  • Kryton57

Each event in terms of time, seems to be around 90 mins?

DezB
    Free Member

Depends how many laps, how long the laps are and how fast you go 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Number of laps depends on category (between 3 and 5) and tend to be around the 25 minute mark (but yes, depends on how fast you go!)

molgrips
    Free Member

I might look at some of those next year. I did one at Ringwood, was flat and fast, I loved it 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Number of laps depends on category (between 3 and 5) and tend to be around the 25 minute mark (but yes, depends on how fast you go!)

To be fair there are huge differences, at Wasing this year the fastest lap was 16:49 and plenty of folk doing >40 minutes. Middle of open was about 25 mins, that’s probably about the mean, but a relatively meaningless number.

They’re BC sanctioned, so the Elite race has to be between 1hr 45 and 2 hours for the winner, so unlike a Gorrick where some races will be long and some will be short they’ll chop and change laps on a Southern XC to ensure it’s on target. Expert is then meant to be 1:30-1:45 IIRC.

Bit more technical too, particularly in the last couple of years they’ve started putting new technical bits in.

Kryton57

Thats good for me cheers, just trying to get a gauge as to whether its a 1hr sprint or 8hr solo 😉

wwaswas

*waits for thread “What bike for a 1hour 35 minute race”* 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

XC is generally around 1h30 for normal people, that’s what they aim for I think.

mrblobby
    Free Member

You’ll be nowhere unless you’re riding a 29er hard tail 😉

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll be nowhere unless you’re riding a 29er hard tail

29er FS gaining ground again actually, more and more folk switching to Epics, Sparks etc.

XC is generally around 1h30 for normal people, that’s what they aim for I think.

What’s normal though? Like I say, there are stipulations for the elite race, and the others are worked around that.

Again at Wasing (as I’ve got the results open!), 1:30 would have had you 44/51 in Open, but you’d have won masters by 5 minutes and vets by 4 minutes! No hard and fast rules.

Kryton57

mrblobby – Member
    You’ll be nowhere unless you’re riding a 29er hard tail

Presses *ignore* 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Or a Cx’er.. 😛

njee20
    Free Member

Some of the features could have been entertaining on a cross bike this year!

molgrips
    Free Member

Some of the features could have been entertaining on a cross bike this year!

That would require a certain amount of finesse on my weenied out XC bike!

DenDennis
    Free Member

^That’d be a CX ‘dismount’ feature!

what is going on in that pic- it looks like the rider has some sort of camelback drinking tube but I cant see the shoulder straps- is there something wrong with my eyes- oh hang on, has he hidden it under the jersey?

Kryton57

He looks to be sponsored by Torq so no doubt that’s an adrenalin release valve rather than a camelback tube…

ernie

Even some of the elites were dismounting from that little step down. Courses are great: real variety so at some point a course will suit you and your riding style (if you ride the whole series). Bike – people have won the elite races on either 29 HT or 29 FS. I’m guessing some crazy mofo will ride a fatty next year…mention no names…cough Mr Budd cough…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve seen CX’er obsticles bigger than that 😆

Anywhoos’

Wheres Kryt’s thread on “wot byke fr XC ryces that last 26mins”

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Going by the ones I’ve done, the Southern XC races are really good, great atmosphere at them and much better organised than Gorrick races.

njee20
    Free Member

^That’d be a CX ‘dismount’ feature!

There was a chicken run to be fair, I exploited the full potential of that. The trouble with the drop was the run out wasn’t great – a 90 degree corner!

what is going on in that pic- it looks like the rider has some sort of camelback drinking tube but I cant see the shoulder straps- is there something wrong with my eyes- oh hang on, has he hidden it under the jersey?

He does indeed have it under his jersey, extra rad!

I’ve seen CX’er obsticles bigger than that

POIDH…

Even some of the elites were dismounting from that little step down

Didn’t Ade nearly cause some massive pile up doing just that!?

I’m guessing some crazy mofo will ride a fatty next year…mention no names…cough Mr Budd cough…

Well he did it at Cannock for the NPS after all!

Kryton57

bikebouy – Member

Wheres Kryt’s thread on “wot byke fr XC ryces that last 26mins”

Not required. I’ll be using one of the two bikes that I own at the time…

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆

Good Lad.

Hows the fitness going?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not required. I’ll be using one of the two bikes that I own at the time…

Which will be…? 🙂

Kryton57

bikebouy – Member

Hows the fitness going?

So good, that I’m worried that I’ve hit “form” far too early. 😀

mrblobby – Member
    Which will be…?

The now lightened <23lb Enigma most likely*. Still pondering whether to keep the ASR5 as a play bike and buy an M109CS as well as, or buy something like a Segment to replace the Yeti and race the Enigma. I’d like to place well on the 24hr events really with a FS, but we all know its not about the bike, right? 🙂

*I’ve a lot of improvement to go before the size of the wheels start to dictate my placings…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

bikebouy – Member

Hows the fitness going?

So good, that I’m worried that I’ve hit “form” far too early.

Excellent, good luck with it all, sure you’ll do well.
    😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Southern XC races – how long?’ is closed to new replies.