• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Southern Upland Way – Bikeable?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I'm for getting Mrs NBITF to drop me at Sanquhar and bike over the SUW to St Marys Loch, Camp or Bivvy, Then ride on to Lauder to my sisters. 49 miles the first day, a little less the second.

Can't find too much resources on the internet, and waterstones didn't turn much up either.

Anyone have any experience?.

Trekster

Ridden most of that as bits of day rides or train to Dumfries from Sanquhar.

Big hike to the top of the hill from Sanquhar.Then a flatish but sloggy bit. Downhill into Wanlockhead, nice bit. F—of big climb/walk up to the radar station. If you choose the SupW from here it is a f—off hike a bike(real hike/pain in places). Choose Enterkin Burn down to Dalveen farm then road back up to SupW over to Daer(easy bit) Then!!!! 1hr hike from Daer up to the top of the hill, then a nice down to Brattleburn bothy.
    Then it is down the squiggly road into Beattock and Moffat.
    This bit is a long slow climb on a forest road followed by a techy bit to Pawhope bothy, could be well erroded due to this winters snow etc. Easyish bit after Pawhope then a big grassy climb to get over to St Marys. From the Loch there is an easy bit along the road then up(hike) and over to Peebles/Inners through some more fields which can be a drag.

From there I am not sure!!

`ows that for starters.

Whole thing has been done in something like 12days by mbuk riders for an article yrs ago. Has broken a few others since. Starting @ Sanquhar is probably the best idea tho.

druidh
    Free Member

Trekster – Member

Whole thing has been done in something like 12days by mbuk riders for an article yrs ago. Has broken a few others since. Starting @ Sanquhar is probably the best idea tho.

12 days??? You can walk it in less.

Blackhound

I recall that article – think it was 2-3 days!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think johns maybe had an attack of 'fat forefinger syndrome'! Prob meant 2 days or something, although that would be impressive!.

Top man though John, exactly what I was looking for.

kevonakona
    Free Member

there is a c2c (hitting your start and finish points) from creetown, slight difference from SUW. I plan on teh c2c in the summer as opposed to SUW

DeeJay
    Free Member

A group of us did this whole route in 1997 – I remember pain – lots of pain – and tussocks!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

kevonakona, Details would be greatly appreciated!.

Trekster

Yup, lots of tussocks.

Sure some super fit person/s could do it in 2/3 days but us mere mortals would be pushing it to do what nbitf is planning to do in that time.

Happy to tag along on the first section, then head back down to Dumfries via Ae if not working. After Wanlockhead you have nothing but sheep and buzzards for company(maybe the odd midge 😈 )

Trekster – Member

12 days??? You can walk it in less.
    Thought it was 14 days? Met a guy once who had been on the trail for 8 days and his feet were well & truly shredded 😕
    Have the OS book/guide somewhere so will have a look.
    Interactive map

coastkid
    Free Member

SUW is 265 miles…theres a guide book with enclosed sections of landrangers covering the route,it includes local history and info on views etc..i rode it in i think 1992,got the train from dunbar near its finnish down to stranraer via glasgow then 6 miles to portpatrick on road,took 5 days including the train journey down,from its end.
    i remmember some of it was a bit grim going but i loved the isolation, i hardly passed any walkers till moffot onwards,where it also got better under foot/wheel, i only had a 4 mile ride home to dunbar from its end at cockburnspath where trains stop for edinburgh west or south to newcastle…i imagine its all mostly regraded and pathed now,it is all ridable from st marys loch to the coast anyway,

if you can find trailbike magazine (tbm)issue 85 sept,2002 from there back issues theres an article on someone i know who did the whole SUW in a single day on a motorcycle with a few diversions on other trails where nessecery (boggy sections etc..) to raise money for cancer (maggies centre edinburgh),took 14 hours (including a 255km road ride from the lothians)

br
    Free Member

I've ridden from the east coast to Melrose on the SUW in a day, Melrose across by side-road to Peebles then back on the SUW in a day and finally Peebles to the cafe/inn on St Marys Loch and then back on the SUW.

All perfectly easy riding, just a fair few miles.

FYI There is a campsite at the Inn on St Marys Loch.

From St Marys Loch to Lauder has 3/4 long climbs, but at least is the right way as far as the wind is concerned… When are you doing it though?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I'm thinking of september sometime. Great info folks, much appreciated. If it's going to be a slog though, I'm thinking I could do the WHW in 2 days, as I've walked it and biked small sections of it on other rides, so know it'd be a good un.

The thing about that is, One of my mates would do the WHW with me, whereas he's not interesed in the SUW.

igm

I'm thinking of september sometime

The weekend after Keilder maybe?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Southern Upland Way – Bikeable?’ is closed to new replies.