Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Southampton SkyRide
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

sunday is the southampton skyride.

anyone else going? the route looks interesting going into the docks where you normally can’t cycle.

I will probably be on a blue pompino, say hello if you see me. 🙂

dobo
    Free Member

was trying to talk the misses into to it but she doing running club…

not done it before, is its just thousands of bikes riding round soton?

petestuart
    Free Member

I’m doing it for the same reasons – riding round the docks which are usually closed off (and something I think Southampton should make a feature of, being it’s biggest… feature!)

Somehow I’ve ended up volunteering to marshal! I’ll be on a Genesis iO – possibly with a Bumper trailer (if it turns up tomorrow) so I can take my daughter round. I’ll look out for you.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will be riding the Sky Ride. Partly to see the docks but mainly to promote the Big Bike Bash which is happening next weekend!

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Did the sky ride today but am I the only person shocked by the amount of kids without helmets on…
    I did enjoy the docks part of the ride I kept saying to the kids about you never get another chance to ride a long here but they didnt seem to fussed…. 🙄

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was surprised by the variety of bikes and the different standards of riding.

Looks like the concept of thinking who might be around you before sudden braking or steering is something that comes with practice.

Smirked at the guy on the brand new ‘Reebock’ mountain bike explaining to the mechanic that he used to work in a bike shop and had built up his girlfriends new matching Reebok but was struggling to index the gears. The mechanic took hold of the bike and discovered the handlebars spun fairly freely in the clamp and the bars could be turned without turning the forks. Apparently it is good practice not to over-tighted the steering on bikes.

Nice easy ride though and seeing the inside of the docks was okay but not as much to look at as I hoped.

DT78
    Free Member

Well I enjoyed sitting in traffic for around 40mins down at ocean village. They could have thought the crossing through a bit better. Nightmare for the ferries.

Lummox

Nice variation of route, feel the same about the traffic lights but all seemed to be having a good time. Hope it continues to grow.

chojin
    Free Member

I was down there on a white planet x sl pro, in a light blue top if anyone saw me 🙂 I pootled along at the speed of the traffic nice and sedate like. Stopped for a cuppa in hoglands park and then pootled home! Nice little ride as it happens.

southcoastsprints
    Free Member

We were there in guildhall square roller racing all day. Was a busy day for sure and the two mechanics near us had queues all day mainly fixing gears and pumping up tyres. Never saw Kirsty Gallacher either. Did anyone on here race with us?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I watched for a while but it looked a bit energetic. Fun but energetic

southcoastsprints
    Free Member

ha ha you should have had a go WCA, it is addictive…could have won a nice yellow t-shirt…never mind…maybe next year we’ll make it to BBB and you can have a go after a few beers 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It did look fun…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Cracking day out. I was there with my ten year old and one of his mates. We got there at 10:30 expecting an hour’s gentle bimble on closed roads but eventually rolled home just after 5 with two quite knackered kids.
    In that time they’d ridden 15 miles (two laps plus home) played about two hours football in the inflatable arena, raced several times round the British Cycling course, roller raced, tried golf and booked a free taster diving session. The live music at numerous locations was good too.

My son’s friend Brandon could be one to watch. Aged ten and a couple of weeks he won the under 16s roller racing by a clear half second. His time of 15.7 would have got him top 20 in the adults.

southcoastsprints
    Free Member

that must be Keith then, my ears are still ringing from Brandon and Dan’s efforts with the megaphones, must remember to “fix” the volume control a bit lower…

Brandon was fast, for his age and size it was incredible, looked like he could have done it all day as well 🙂

photos and times here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Southampton SkyRide’ is closed to new replies.