Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • South Yorkshire riding
  • TomZesty
    Free Member

Hi just wondered if anyone knows of any good biking in South Yorkshire other than Wharncliffe woods? I live in between Barnsley and Huddersfield. Love the Dales and the Peaks but would be good to find something nearer than an hour away.

jet26
    Free Member

Langsett – cut gate – fantastic riding.

Plenty of alright stuff round Penistone/Oxspring/Holmfirth if you hunt it out.

Try vertebrate graphics dark peak book for some stuff too.

nosedive
    Free Member

alright mate. There is some great riding around here. I’ve not got any maps to help you with but have a look at:

redmires reservoirs, over stanadge pole, either down the bridleway to the left or straight on down long causway.

from there you can either put in a few road miles to shatton moor or head back towards sheffield and do lady cannings plantation \ houndkirk moor towards the fox house pub.

From there you can head towards blackamoor, there are various bridleways well worth an explore.

sorry I can’t give you route maps or anything but all these names are on the 1/50,000 OS so hopefully you can figure it out. the vertebrate graphics book mentioned above is called dark peak mountain biking I think and includes these routes.

nosedive
    Free Member

and +1 for cut gate (though I usually ride it there and back from the ladybower side). It’s my favourite natural trail in the country so handy that it’s on my doorstep!

antigee

The Digley circuit in the VG dark peak is good if you’ve not done (starts just beyond Holmfirth) bit short but an eye opener – can extend by starting near Winscar Reservoir and take in Hades (some a bit cheeky depending which way you go )and Ramsden rd – possible to put together a few bridleways in this area – sorry I don’t use memory map

never really found anything further towards Barnsley especially interesting but if anyone can suggest anything

pistonbroke
    Free Member

There seems to be loads of STWers around here, Marsdenman, Barnsleymitch, Tracey, etc. We should get together and form a support group. “between Barnsley and Huddersfield” do you mean around Denby Dale or more Holmfirth direction? There’s plenty of bridleways around Cawthorne, Cannon Hall, Silkstone area, the TPT will get you quickly up to Dunford Bridge and around Holmfirth. If you want more of an epic, Cut Gate leads into Ladybower and the Peak. My advice is to get an OS Map and go exploring.

Pook

Aye the OS map is your friend, but there’s loads of good stuff. I’m in Sheffield btw

TomZesty
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    cheers for the help, I live near Cawthorne actually. I rode Cut Gate last week that was awesome, just always looking for a change for when I can’t be bothered going far. These suggestions sound good, I’ll search for those places on the map, I’ve got the 1/50000 one somewhere I think. Better get out exploring!

beefy

I am in Holmfirth, ride Thursday nights if you can make it over. There are miles and miles of stuff to ride round here, happy to show you round sometime.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Is cut gate what I refer to as the flouch. I ride over the moors there from the botom of Stocksbridge and end up in Derbyshire at the Lady Bower res. Catch the train back home! Great ride is that as no doubling back on your self to get to the car or back the way you came to get home. It’s a a good ride that. If you ride over to Conisbrough on the TPT there is some quarrys and woods thats ok. Also up Holmfirth there is various trails. I’m in Barnsley too.

thejesmonddingo

Hi,I’m in Silkstone,quite a few bridleways round here,also Deffer woods are supposed to be good,and on your doorstep.
    Ian

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘South Yorkshire riding’ is closed to new replies.