Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • South West trains with bike – reservation necesary?
  • scruff9252

Two weeks today (Mon 25th) my GF & I will be traveling London to Portsmouth by train with two fully laden touring bikes.

Popped into the train station here in Edin to reserve bike places (Normal procedure for Scot Rail trains)and were advised no availability for bikes but to turn up and probably be fine.

Does anyone have experience of taking bikes on South West trains? Is it liable to be problematic, outwith rush hour?

As first train in series of interconnected ferries & trains I’m keen to ensure it doesn’t fall down at first hurdle
    Ta

nedrapier

I take a bike on at Waterloo in rush hour, get off at Haslemere. If the train’s 5 minutes from leaving, you’ll probably struggle, but if you get there 15 minutes before it leaves, you’ll be fine.

You’ve got a choice of trains too. Faster ones are the white ones with specific storage for 3 bikes, held by the front wheel. Slower ones are red, and have space for bikes in an area which has flip down seats.

The red one’s aren’t as comfy or quick, but if your bikes are fully loaded, I wouldn’t want them twanging around byt the front wheel for an hour and a half.

domtastic
    Free Member

No need to reserve and as long as you’re not travelling out of Waterloo during rush hour (16:00 – 19:30 i think) then you shouldn’t have a problem.

scruff9252

That’s great to hear, thanks

scruff9252

That’s great to hear, thanks

nedrapier

As long as you’re getting off after Guildford, you can get on rush hour trains as well.

Sorry for the rogue apostrophe in my earlier post.

nedrapier

As long as you’re getting off after Guildford, you can get on rush hour trains as well.

Sorry for the rogue apostrophe in my earlier post.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘South West trains with bike – reservation necesary?’ is closed to new replies.