Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • South Wales Riding?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve had a stroke of luck and as a result I’m going to be heading off to South Wales for a couple of days next week.
    I’ve never been before and I’m looking for a couple of days riding. We’ll be staying in the Newport area.

As Cwmcarn is just up the road that’s going to be the obvious place to go but I’m not sure about the following day.
    Is it worth the drive to Afan?
    I’m happy to drive an hour or so to get somewhere to ride. I’ll be looking for more XC type riding, no uplifts and DH runs!

welshfarmer

If weather stays like it is now you would be far better getting out on the natural stuff. Save the trail centres for winter or bad weather days. Appreciate it is hard coming to a new area to find stuff worth riding. But I reckon if you say exactly when and where you will be and what you want to ride there will be people on here going out willing to show you round. Either that, or grab a map and hit the tops. Almost all the ridges between the south Wales valleys have some XC riding on them, some better than others, the trick is knowing how to link it all together to avoid towns and traffic.

If you can get up towards Abergavenny one evening next week (probably Wednesday) then I will happily show you round the Black Mountains/Aber area

notmyrealname
    Free Member

As nice as it’d be to get out on the natural stuff, I’m going to stick with the trail centres for now as I will be needing to get back when the other half calls to pick her up from work so can’t really venture out too far.

I’ve tried the mtbwales website but it seems to be down at the moment.

mattherby
    Free Member

Hit up cwmcarn as you can’t go wrong for some riding there and I’d say it’s definitely worth the drive to Afan if you’re after more trail centre stuff. I’m local to Afan and ridden it lots of times and I’m happy enough there.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes Afan is awesome. Ride the W2 route.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Turns out I was looking for the wrong website 😳

Now I’ve had a look on the mbwales and trailguru websites and there’s loads of info on them.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll show you round the local riding. You around Thursday night?

SaxonRider

I’d be game to join you if you are able to take up molgrips’ offer. There is so much natural stuff around where you will be, it would be a shame not to draw on the local knowledge!

hammerite
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack…

The OH was looking to get away for a day or two over half term. I suggested we get a hotel somewhere and I can take Jnr out on the bike and she can either join us or do some spa type stuff.

Anyway, thinking of heading to FoD one day and Cwmcarn the next. We’re not massively experienced in trail centre riding or anything too gnarly really (that said Jnr regularly rides the 4x, dual slalom and mini downhill lines in our local woods) but we can handle bikes relatively well (just a tad unfit at the mo). Would Cwmcarn be ok for us or would we struggle? Which of the two xc trails would be most suitable?

coatesy
    Free Member

I love Cwmcarn, but it definitely depends on your idea of fit vs unfit, i’ve seen quite a few broken people on the harder climbs over the years, but it’s all rideable with a reasonable amount of techy skill and fitness (the first climb out of the car park will give you an idea of the fitness required).

Marko

@hammerite

You could stay at the St Pierre and ride both the FOD and Cwmcarn from there (about 40 minutes to both).

Having said that, if you are not sure on the fitness levels there is a ton of easier stuff in the FOD and the Wye Valley.

Hth
    Mark

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks both.

Fitness wise, neither of us are couch potatoes. We’ve both ridden quite a lot of road and mild XC (we’re in Beds it doesn’t get gnarlier than mild!) in previous years, just not so much riding this year.

I’m more worried about how technical it is and whether we’re ever likely to be out of our depth. We’re fine with small jumps and drops and light rocky sections. Would like to challenge us, but not so much that we’ll wimp out of everything!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I think the Verderers (blue) at FoD is a nice loop to ride whatever level you are at. Couple of sloppy bits but mostly ok.
    I’ve not ridden Twrch at Cwmcarn for a while so don’t know if the logging has been finished, and never the Cafall. The technical parts on the Twrch seemed to be on the ascents. I tend to ride either bridleways from my door or Blaen Bran woods, you can pop along from the top of the Twrch and drop in on them, them loop back, or vice versa. There’s some nice sections around the sides of the three Mynydds toward Hafodrynys, Twmbarlwm and Cwmbran.
    That’s where my local knowledge runs out I’m afraid for mtb.
    If you stay around this way then there’s a nice B&B in Blaenavon; Oakfield. There’s also plenty of places to stay around the Wye Valley and if you’re near St. Briavels go and try the Pantry shop near the castle. My friends run it (disclosure) and do the best sausage rolls you will eat. Their farm is a stone’s throw from it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m more worried about how technical it is and whether we’re ever likely to be out of our depth.

You fear too much. It’s a trail center. Your depth is entirely dependent on how fast you go. Take it easy, there’s nothing that’s going to hurt you.

Cwmcarn is fantastic now there are two trails. Both are top notch imo.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks both.

Molgrips – this is what I kind of think. I don’t mind mincing if I have to! The only thing that made me worried is the write ups of the trails, where it says “advanced riders only,” and things like that. Yes I have some experience, yes I can generally hold my own, but I wouldn’t call either of us advanced.

molgrips
    Free Member

where it says “advanced riders only”

They only say that to avoid leisure trundlers and their families attempting them. On the whole spectrum of people who’ve just learned to ride bikes to pros, any regular MTBer is advanced.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘South Wales Riding?’ is closed to new replies.