Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • South Lakesists – best commuta-route Ulverston (Greenodd) to Kendal
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Suns out, wnat to ride to work tomorrow but don’t wnat to be mashed to a pulp by a HGV on the 590 or 591 so how to get there.

I reckon

Over the moss to haverthwaite – through back barrow but not over the top – chance the dual carriageway to newby bridge then what? up the 592 to staveley and then round by high newton or (shudders) over Gummers How?

If the former is it best then to go over how top and turn left to go up the valley and through crosthwaite (climby/windy) or right to the old main road and up to gilpin and then brigsteer (longer/flatter)

I’m all a kerfuffle

nbt

The Walney to Whitby cycle route goes through field Broughton and Cartmel to Grange and then Meathop. Is that any good to you?

http://cyclingw2w.info/route/

meeeee
    Free Member

I used to live at Newby Bridge and I’d go gummers how, but I like gummers how!

If you go tow top then I’d go gilpin Brigsteer way

They’re all lovely rides though so see how you feel in morning. Gummers how isn’t that bad though. Actually if you’ve got a cross bike or road frame with sturdy tyres on then go up through chapel house woods on the fire road to top of gummers how, it’s well surfaced and a nice gentle climb.

As you’re riding to work you’ll have to ride back though so do two different routes. Up Tow top on the way home……go on you know you want to!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

‘Gummers how isn’t that bad though.’

You, sir, are a wrong un!

Anyhow, slept in so am working from home today. Tomorrow, definitely do it tomorrow, unless its raining. (prays for rain)

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

When you get to Newby Bridge, go to Staveley in Cartmel, pick up the cycle path along the main road as far as High Newton and then head north. You can then drop down Tow Tops to Back of the Fell road.

Loveley lanes from there to Crossthwaite, Underbarrow and then a nice drag up and over the Scar into Kendal (or alternatively, go a bit further north to Staveley and then into Kendal via Bowston / Burneside)

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Also, from Backbarrow, you can stay north of the river on Finsthwaite Lane, this will bring you out by the Swan at Newby Bridge and keep you off the main road.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aye but it adds a bit on time wise. You could pick a lovely route for a sunday ride but i need this to be sub 1:30 to make it a goer really. If not going over gummers would definitely use your other suggestion though

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

From Ulverston, go up Soutergate, turn right at Broughton Beck, over the common and down to Lowick, along the East side of Coniston, quick jaunt up Hawkshead Hill, Outgate, Clappersgate, through Ambleside, and then either on the main road, or flick right and up over Troutbeck, and then wiggle down to Staveley and Kendal. On a quick road bike, should be doable in under a couple of hours.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/activities/333218204/analysis

Well, finally MTFU’d and had a go – flip me! ran out of gears on brigsteer 😳 need to get the time down but could be a goer if I get fit

whitestone
    Free Member

A better route at the end would be to go through Levens then Sizergh, Sedgewick and Natland. Not quite as hilly.

Having grown up in High Newton, Tow Top wouldn’t be my first choice of route in either direction 😳

I used to commute by bike in to Kendal and just went along the A590 and the link road, it isn’t that bad TBH, the worst bit used to be through Low Newton but since the bypass that’s a lot better. Heading back was harder as it was invariably in to the prevailing wind and there are sections where the wind is funnelled through gaps in trees that makes it really hard.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Oh, fear not, tow top will not be on the homeward leg!

Coming down it was frickin hairy in the wet, sliding all over the place!

whitestone
    Free Member

You need to try it when it’s icy! Scary even with 4 wheel drive 😯

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘South Lakesists – best commuta-route Ulverston (Greenodd) to Kendal’ is closed to new replies.