Viewing 32 posts - 121 through 152 (of 152 total)
  • South-East drivers
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The vast majority of people of overseas origin who are registered to drive in the UK have learned and passed their test here in the UK.

And all the other arguments about this. I’ve been mulling it over carefully before replying. 🙂

Now, weather someone (Anyone) has passed a UK test or not means only one thing – They drove well enough to satisfy an examiner for 1/2 an hour. Which, to be fair, isn’t that hard. Drive slowly and obey the law and you’ve cracked it. And the habits any older immigrant grew up with die hard, very hard. And like it or not, once they have a license, there’s a good chance they’ll slip back into their old ways.

And there people who make poor drivers: You know, you see a car in front driving in a certain way, and you say to yourself “Ahh. That’ll be a XXXXXXXX [from XXXXXXX]* driving like that” and sure as eggs is eggs, you’re right.
    Drive for long enough, and you develop a 6th sense about it, like a copper has a nose for sniffing out criminals…..I certainly have. Ask Mrs PP – We’ll be in the car together, and I’ll say – “That bloke’s gonna pull out in front of you” And then he does. And she looks at me all funny, wondering how I know…
    And it was only when I went to India earlier this year that I understood why I see fair amount of (Generally older, granted) Asian people driving like they do. It’s not not something that overly bothers me, I’m quite chilled when I drive generally, but it’s something I noticed, a connection I made. Realisation if you like.
    They have a ‘style’ shall we say?

Elfin mate, you don’t drive do you? You just won’t notice it like I do, you won’t make that connection because you’ve never needed to, but it exists, honestly it does. 🙂

*Could be cabbie [from London], sales rep, young mum [on school run] old duffer, truck driver [from Poland] or any person from any country, an Italian, an Aussie (They really ARE bad drivers too!), or indeed an Indian from India.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Poland.. or any person from any country, an Italian, an Aussie (They really ARE bad drivers too

you can recognise and differentiate between these races?

Hairychested
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

Poland.. or any person from any country, an Italian, an Aussie (They really ARE bad drivers too

WTF Are you talking about? Have you ever herd of generalisation? Besides, the Polish, the Italians and the Australians are not races. People – certainly, races – no.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They were examples! You’re just trying to pick an argument that doesn’t exist. 🙂
    Three countries I picked because I’ve been to 2 of them which have markedly different driving styles, and Poland because I know a LOT of E.European lorry drivers through my work, and generally, they’re bloody good at it!

Although to be fair, I reckon I could tell an average Italian from an average Australian: The Italians can drive, the Aussies can’t. They really ARE that bad. Scarily bad. Worse then the Indians a lot of the time….. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

WTF Are you talking about? Have you ever herd of generalisation? Besides, the Polish, the Italians and the Australians are not races. People – certainly, races – no.

OH FFS IT WAS AN EXAMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP TWISTING THE POINT!

molgrips
    Free Member

I got hassled by a dutch lorry driver on the way here on Monday. Right aggressive nutter, and speeding too. I will keep an eye out for the next dutch lorry driver, see if he does the same 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

People – certainly, races – no.

The rest is debatable. This is just wrong. No point arguing about facts. Go look in a dictionary.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You’re just trying to pick an argument that doesn’t exist.

They’re the best kind!
    🙁

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

STOP TWISTING THE POINT!

Ok, let’s try this. You can’t twist a point. The whole ‘point’ about a point, is that is a singularity. It is dimensionless, there is no place to which it can be twisted.

Any takers?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Either the drivers are much better down here in Cornwall or we simply avoid blaming everyone else every time something unexpected happens.

Sure people do some daft things in cars but then don’t we all on occasions? Unless it’s a clearly aggressive act of driving, live and let live. And give OAP drivers a wide berth.

kudos100
    Free Member

😛

DezB
    Free Member

I’m not a racist, but ….

all Portsmouth drivers are SHIT.

😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Charlie – Can I take your / the point then?

molgrips
    Free Member

Mat, driving standards vary wildly in different areas of the country ime. Whenever I’ve driven in Cornwall (although it was a long time ago) it seemed fine.

It’s because people tend to do things they see other people doing. So that leads to regional driving variations.

DezB
    Free Member

Mat, driving standards vary wildly in different areas of the country

No shit. Cities are obviously always worse than rural areas.
    Everyone in Portsmouth thinks they’re in some kind of race. A race to get nowhere.

TheBrick
    Free Member

A race to get out of Portsmouth. No one wants to loose that race.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

You obviously have to drive differently in a big city but the same “rules” still apply – criticise yourself before others and life gets easier.

Lived in London for a year and was quite happy driving anywhere in the Big Smoke. You just need to be pretty assertive.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’m not a racist, but ….

all Portsmouth drivers are SHIT.

Portsmouth is shit full stop.

Hairychested
    Free Member

PeterPoddy, it wasn’t aimed at you, sorry if it hurt you.
    CharlieMungus, dictionary? What for?
    A mate of mine, a long-term lorry driver, drove in France for several months and then arrived to Folkstone. All went smoothly but people were hooting at him all the time. It took an armed Police van to force him to stop, he was driving on the wrong side of the road. Does it make all the Poles crap drivers? I am, but that’s a different story, isn’t it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So – we have established that south east drivers are crap drivers because they are a different race from the planet Hurryupyoukahnt

Is that right?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Why are most of the ‘most dangerous roads in Britain’ in the North of England?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

‘cos thats when the hills and corners are – only dangerous ‘cos the south east drivers try and drive on them, get confused at the lack of traffic jams and drive into the beautiful scenery

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ahh, I knew there’d be a logical explanation.

aP
    Free Member

Those dangerous roads in the norf are dangerous because there’s all these elderly “born again bikers” pouring themselves into leathers and riding 150bhp motorbikes that they can’t go round corners on and then kill themselves or or sometimes some other people as well. Also all norferners think they’re the best at everything.
    Cornish driving is chilled because there’s only about 200 people there who can read well enough to take the test, and anyway red diesel only gets used in tractors.
    London/ SE driving can be rather aggressive mostly because there’s about 15 million cars trying to get to more or less the same place at the same time, oh, and the yummy mummies in Porsche Cayenne Turbo’s kerbing them outside Freddy’s school then outside Cafe Rouge.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

CharlieMungus, dictionary? What for?

to find out what a race is

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Take it? I doubt if you could even see it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Are you needling me Mungus, or is it as I’ve long suspected….. you’re pointless?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

no, no. The point is that there is always a point but often you cannot see it. You need to move to the argand plane

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is this a one dimensional argument?

DaRC_L

If you can’t twist a point what does a bradawl do?

And ffs it’s lose (as in lost, loser, losing),
    loose is to be released from or for something that is not tight (unlike my pedantic backside when someone uses loose instead of lose)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

An imaginary point… the basis upon which I’ve watched you start many an argument 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But remember there is a real component as well

Viewing 32 posts - 121 through 152 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘South-East drivers’ is closed to new replies.