Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • South East Asia during August – bad weather?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Hopeing to spend the last two weeks of August travelling through Malaysia and Thailand.

I understand that is storm season, so pretty bad weather a lot of the time. Could it potentially ruin the holiday (fingers crossed no tsunamis…)? I didn’t think it would be that bad, just a bit of rain, but a friend has warned that it was pretty bad for her.

Some areas will be better than others though right?

We aren’t really fixed on where we’re going at all, apart from Kuala Lumpur (airport and relatives), Penang (mum’s from there), and Bangkok (airport), so fairly flexible to avoid the worst weather areas…

Any thoughts?

Ta, Duane.

chewkw
    Free Member

The weather should be fine in August perhaps with a slight rain but nothing severe as typhoon etc. Might be slightly windy but no big deal because that’s normal. I will be heading in that direction as well for the entire month. You will be fine.

Last year I stopped by Penang and the place was like stuck in a bad time warp, so not sure I will stop by there anymore but will see … food still good but only if you can find them. No rain at all.

oh ya … it will be baking hot by comparison to the summer here …

tails
    Free Member

imodium is your friend!

skiboy
    Free Member

Did Bali and Flores in August / September before with no rain for the whole of it ,

chewkw
    Free Member

tails – Member

imodium is your friend!

Good tip that will get some.

I generally eat hot cooked food only whenever I can so if you can see them good the better.

🙂

br
    Free Member

When it rains (at the same time every day), no matter how hard, its dry in 1/2 hour – wouldn’t worry.

donsimon
    Free Member

When it rains (at the same time every day), no matter how hard, its dry in 1/2 hour – wouldn’t worry.

I’d actually embrace the rain, it’s quite a spectacular sight watching a curtain of water working its way down the coast (Sri Lanka). Sit on a roof terrace, beer in hand, wait for it to pass then hop in the pool again.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all, doesn’t sound too bad then 🙂

Should we take clothes for the rain? Or just make sure we’re inside when it rains? Just thinking a thin waterproof?

chewkw, is Penang really that bad? Was just planning to head there as that’s where mum’s from and grew up, be kind of rude not to pop by… 😛

chewkw
    Free Member

Duane… – Member
    Should we take clothes for the rain? Or just make sure we’re inside when it rains? Just thinking a thin waterproof?

Easiest think to do is to buy a cheap umbrella or stay inside the building however thin waterproof should work too, but don’t count on it too because it be ineffective against waterfall type rain and your rain coat will only add to your discomfort if it’s not breathable. Wet outside and very sticky sweaty inside … 😆

chewkw, is Penang really that bad? Was just planning to head there as that’s where mum’s from and grew up, be kind of rude not to pop by…

Depending on where you are in Penang as I was on Penang island staying in a “60s” type hotel right in the middle of the island. A bit like travelling back to Bruce Lee time …

There are many very nice 5 starts hotel nearby too but those are for rich retire foreigners … 😆

But the main problem I was not impressed with was not able to find all the nice food where they used to be many years ago. Now I could only find Indian Mamak food stall serving the same deep fried shite and spicy curry that was spicy but with the taste same all over the street.

If you want to have nice food then you are better off getting someone local to drive you there. I think there are still many places for good food but we were just at the wrong location.

Tell your mum the place has changed a bit but it is still rather dirty (plenty of rubbish) at the back of the shops where none of the tourists see. Because I was high up in the hotel I could see them … dirty buggers.

During the day you might want to try some Penang cendol …

This one

But Penang cendol cannot compete with Thai cendol … Fact! :mrgreen:

p/s: go to Blacks to buy some of the Peter Storm clothing with chest pockets at £15 each. I just bought one but will buy another two tomorrow. If you wear anything thicker than that you will be sweating buckets I kid you not.

This one … Peter Storm Men’s Check Travel Shirt. There are many other brands but this one is better and cheaper in my view.

roady_tony
    Free Member

i did the same thing a few years ago, and echo what people have already said.
    i got some North Face trekking/walking shirts with vents etc that worked really well, but pretty much whatever you wear will be ‘damp’!
    rain is usually fine, hard, quick , over.

foodwise, unfortunately you really do have to stay away from touristy area’s these days to get something authentic, even backpacker places these days seem surrounded by rubbish food – get to local places you wont regret it!!!! (and the people are pretty friendly too, treat them and their ways with respect and its all smiles)

enjoy and have fun

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘South East Asia during August – bad weather?’ is closed to new replies.