Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • South Downs Way – where to stay
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’m going to do a weekend run along the south downs way in the next month or so going east. Where would be a good place to pack it in for the night where I can get a hotel/B&B and something to eat as well as a shower etc?

sockpuppet

this youth hostel is right on the trail

it is about 60 miles from winchester though, so you do more than half the first day.

atlaz
    Free Member

Guess it comes down to whether the first half or the second half is harder.

Nico
    Free Member

Cocking?

Andy

Good B & Bs in ambergate

Paceman
    Free Member

“Guess it comes down to whether the first half or the second half is harder.”

The second half is harder in my opinion – bigger climbs as you drop down lower off the South Downs Ridge more times in the last 45 miles.

Cooroo
    Free Member

Your choice may be limited to what’s available. We ended up having to ride up to Midhurst at the end of a long (due to getting lost 3 times) day. Get on the phone and see what you can get.

mefty
    Free Member

We stayed in a pub in Steyning when we did it IN 2001, which worked out about right as I agree second half is much harder. Don’t make the mistake we made if you stay there which was to finish at a top of a steep road climb – not a good way to start the next morning with a hangover and a bunch of kids “encouraging” you – if we had crossed one more field it would have been a nice flat (and kidless) start the next morning.

DaRC_L

Well there’s the YHA at Truleigh Hill – which leaves a second day of ca 35 miles to Eastbourne.

There’s the Rising Run at Upper Beeding –
    http://www.bedandbreakfast-directory.co.uk/info.asp?id=1996

The Gumber Bothy is just before Bury Hill leaving about 50 miles for the second day – you can make a minor (parallel Bridleway) detour from the SDW to make it all downhill to the Car Park where the Cafe does good bacon butties for breakfast
    http://www.independenthostelguide.co.uk/selected-accommodation.php?area=37

At the bottom of Bury Hill is Amberley – there are some good B&B’s and pubs there.

redbikes
    Free Member

The Gumber Bothy is exactly half way BUT is awful.

bigsi
    Free Member

The cafe at Whiteways that DaRC_L is talking about is shite now IMHO.

Try to find somewhere in Steyning, Bramber or Shoreham as its a flat spin along the valley to any of those 3 and so a short flat spin back to the bottom of Truleigh Hill in the morning, unless you like Sweedish teenagers in which case the YHA at the top of Truleigh Hill would suit !

atlaz
    Free Member

Starting to wonder if I should just find a town, eat up and then bivvy 😛

DaRC_L

redbikes – it depends what you’re expecting 😮
    It’s a step up from bivvying but lacks the comfort (or local pub) of a B&B.

atlaz
    Free Member

Given fitness levels, 65 miles on the first day might be pushing my luck but I guess that if I do ruin myself, at least on day two I’ve got less to do in terms of miles.

thomthumb
    Free Member

40 miles on the second day will be as hard as 60 on the first imo.

bivvying is more fun 🙂

Buzzard
    Free Member

Don’t mean to hijack, but anyone got some recomendations for the night before in Winchester. Will arrive by train at about 7pm so looking for a bed and feed – ready to go at 5h30am the next morning.

rock
    Free Member

I can recommend either buncton manor farm or dove’s farm. Both bike friendly (they even washed and dried kit overnight for us). Killer descent down from chanctonbury ring. Gives you 60miles first day, 40 second. Dove’s is slightly closer to the local pub for dinner

BikestyleBilly
    Free Member

We are bivvying on the South Downs in a couple of weeks, but on the first night are staying at The Percy Hobbs pub in Winchester. Haven’t got a number for them, but sure you can trace it.

WipeOut
    Free Member

I am staying in the YHA at Truleigh Hill soon. I’m not expecting the Sheriton but what is it like? Is it comfortable and clean? Is the food any good? Where’s the nearest pub? And most importantly is there some where secure for my bike?

Cheers Wipeout

FieldMarshall

Three of us did it last summer. Set off Fri afternoon at 3pm and finished Sun afternoon at 1pm.

We bivvied out both nights, which I would throughly recommend, as the views were stunning and we did not have to “drop down” off the way to get to our accommodation.

Hence both mornings were started with a nice flat(ish) warm up.

We grabbed some food at the Hooksway pub on Fri eve and then just rode for another 1/2 an hour to find a suitable bivy site.

Landlord was really friendly and even offered us his beer garden to bivy down in. Very very tempting. Beer and food was good.

On the Sat night we picked up some supplies en-route and cooked for ourselves.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way – where to stay’ is closed to new replies.