Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • South Downs Way – 2 days – where to stay?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Sure this has been done before but my wife and I are thinking of having a crack at the SDW as part of a summer holiday in early July.

Driving down from the north and starting from Winchester. Minimal kit, no tent and plan to stay one night in a nice bike friendly pub then train back to the start once done. Then find a nice campsite on the coast for the rest of the week to do all the touristy things.

Where good to park in Winchester that’s safe?

Looking for about a 60/40 split over the two days. (Not sure what the elevation profile is like) but thinking harder first day, easier second.

So can anybody recommend a nice pub to stay in after about 60miles of the route?

IHN

*is interested too*

nedrapier

60/40 is a good split. Big hills on the 2nd day. It probably won’t feel like an “easy 2nd day”!

Easiest possible is Truleigh Hill Youth Hostel. It’s right on the track at 60 miles. You can order in a pizza, or taxi into Shoreham and back if you fancy a pub dinner and a malt-based recovery drink.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Home – South Downs Way Bed & Breakfast

The pub opposite is pretty damn good, or its a short ride to the shepherd and dog.

If I didnt live so close, its an option I’d consider 🙂

hairylegs
    Free Member

*interested in the safe parking in Winchester bit*

dovebiker

Free parking in Winchester at the end of Petersfield Road right on the route – there’s parking restrictions at the ‘town’ end but on the RHS beside the hedge there’s no problem – left a car there a few times for overnighters / doubles.

Rik
    Free Member

Keep them coming – good advice

Don’t mind if it’s not free parking as long as it’s safe. Couple of days in a pay car park is fine if it’s reasonable and good

thomthumb
    Free Member

Anywhere in Winchester will be safe to park. Not sure where you can park for 48 hours and pay though. Chesil street multi story is on the route.

nedrapier

You could try one of those rent my driveway sites? I’m sure you’d be fine on the road in one of dovebiker’s suggestions, though.

dovebiker

Petersfield Road is a dead-end – little through traffic and Winchester is hardly a crime hotspot – I’d expect long-term parking would be more attractive to scrotes than the outskirts. Just follow the same basic rules for vehicle security.

Bear in mind that the final 40 miles has nearly as much ascent as the first 60 and they tend to be longer climbs as you’re regularly dropping to near sea-level and then climbing all the way back-up.

whatgoesup

There are several nice places in Shoreham / Steyning – you have to drop to sea level to cross the Adur anyway. It does mean you start the second day with one of the longer climbs on the route though.
    I think that the Devils Dyke pub has rooms – right on top so worth a check !

Oh – pack light too – if it was me I’d consider sending a bag with clothes to the half-way point beforehand – carry as little as you can.
    When I did it in one day, carrying not much more than for a normal long ride I came across one chap with a fully laden pannier equipped bike – it looked like really hard work in comparison.

Rik
    Free Member

Excellent stuff – just ordered the Harvey’s map of the route.

Will be carrying hardly anything, just a seat pack with spare lyrca and shorts and tshirt for the evening

curto80
    Free Member

Just to say SDW parking available in Winchester at my place to anyone that’s donated to bloodwise through the 29er_Keith sticky on the bike forum. Gated private drive and totally safe. Coffee and bike chat included at no extra cost 🙂

Just drop me an email (address in profile).

5lab

if you wanted to go a little further on day 1, there’s a campsite in the south of Hassocks (<1 mile off the trail) that’s walking distance to the pubs in Keymer/Ditchling.

Home

you could drop the tent off on the way to winchester. I think the Bull in ditchling (lovely pub) rents rooms as well, if you prefer that

redstripe
    Free Member

We got the train to Winchester to start it & stayed at truleigh hill youth hostel too when we did it. Unfortunately left late from Winchester so was pretty late and completely knackered by the time we got there so all intentions of getting to the pub went out the window. Really enjoyed it though. Much hillier than I expected.

gummikuh
    bubs

I stayed at the White Horse in Sutton when doing the SDW over 2 days (but that is a bit more like a midway point than 60/40). It had great rooms, nice food and a choice of beers and so I was happy. The massive bath was a bonus.

Poopscoop

Will be riding the SDW again this year. Harvey map is very, very handy by the way!

Last time was 5 years back. Found a tiny little dead end road opposite a petrol station and stuck a notr through ther houses near it to say what I was doing and that the car wasn’t dumped!

Slept in the car that night and awoke to as few people wishing me good luck with the little adventure. 😀

Wind camped the first night, just a sleeping bag liner… no actual sleeping bag. Froze my butt off and was creepy as heck (had my “Blair Witch moent as I call it when wild camping).

Second night at the Youth Hostel.

Took no change of clothes, just bike tool, inner tube, puncture kit, sleeping bag liner and pump. That was it.

Showered in my clothing at the YH and put on the still wet clothing the next morning.

Met some amazing people and saw some incredible views and places.

ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!

njee20
    Free Member

I parked in the station, can pay via app. Easier for retrieving car later. Worked for me.

I took a decent GPX of the route, sure I can find it if anyone wants it. If you’ve got a garmin I wouldn’t bother with a paper map. It’s pretty well signed.

pictonroad

For a nice campsite after the ride look up WoWo. It’s not cheap and yes it’s just as middle class as it’s possible to be but there’s a reason it’s so popular, it’s genuinely brilliant.

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice guys – looking forward to it. Now need to get planning and book a date

Thanks for the offer curto80 – i may be emailing you closer to the time and a generous donation will follow 😀

curto80
    Free Member

You’d be very welcome Rik, no obligation to donate!!

brooess
    Free Member

Truleigh Hill YHA or a B&B in Amberley – there’s a few

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way – 2 days – where to stay?’ is closed to new replies.