Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • South Devon holiday. What bike to take?
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

Off on holiday next week to south Devon, question is do I take the roadie or the mtb with me? What sort of riding is there? Any locals that could recommend some solo routes?

qwerty
    Free Member

Roadie or CX for rides from the doorstep, mtb if your planning a trip t’ moor or Haldon.

You could try some of this http://www.tourofbritain.com/_ns_race/default.asp?section=stage7_route

sambob
    Free Member

Dartmoor is brilliant for both the MTB and road bike. Where are you staying?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Some little cottage in/near kingsbridge. Not really all that sure as my better half booked it this afternoon and asked if I was taking a bike, so obviously said yes!

zerocool

Take the road bike as there’s lots of nice rides in that area straight from your door. Taking an MTB will mean more kit and having to plan where you’re going each day (although if you get a MTB guide book there’s some lovely rides across the moors). But you’ll be able to see more of devon by road

Alex

I took my CX bike to Devon and it was fab for exploring. Didn’t get up onto the moors but bought a map for the area and found some ace singletrack / local road riding. Also Haldon blue on the CX is a blast.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Sprocket Jockey should be along in a bit but he rides a single speed on Dartmoor and also rides a geared 29er Karate Monkey. I think both are rigid?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Am I that predictable?? 🙂

I’d agree with the advice above really, if you want to do big rides from the door then take the road bike, but you’re really not that far from some great offroad routes on Dartmoor, which it would be a shame to miss out on. Personally I’d take the MTB.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Leave the bike. Go play on the water!

Garry_Lager

I had a week in S Devon last month and took the BFe – the riding in Dartmoor was very impressive. Only had time for one proper route [Carl off here kindly sent me a massive loop round Lustleigh and further afield], but it was excellent riding. Really wish I had time to do more.

nickjb
    Free Member

Leave the bike. Go play on the water!

+1
    There’s not much MTBing from the door and the roads are pretty but narrow and full of dodgy drivers. Much better place for coastal walks, playing in the waves or canoeing round the rocky bits IMHO

slugwash
    Free Member

After all the rain and lack of sunshine the local trails are a bit crap at the moment and Southern Dartmoor’s not much better. The Eastern Moor drains a bit better if you’re prepared to drive over that way rather than ride on your doorstep. So, I hate to say it but I’d take a road bike with thickish tyres and enjoy the quiet twisty back lanes and climbs.

Though like CFH says go play on the water. It’s what South Devon’s about……. 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

Where is that kayak lagoon slugwash? I’ve been exploring around St. Mary’s Bay area and found some similar

slugwash
    Free Member

Not exactly sure which picture you’re refering to but, the first piccie is Sugary Cove (leave Dartmouth, turn right), second photo is the Mewstone (leave Dartmouth, turn left) and third is heading back towards the mouth of the River Dart from the aforementioned Mewstone 🙂

M1llh0use
    Free Member

cheers everyone. looks like it’ll be a paddling rather than pedalling time!

DavidB
    Free Member

Thanks slugwash.

Next week I am going to do a trip from Kingswear to Brixham so will be sampling some of your delights

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was in Dartmouth on Friday and some hooligans in jets where doing this:-

slugwash
    Free Member

I was in Dartmouth on Friday and some hooligans in jets where doing this:-

Yeah, I had the same trouble the day before with seagulls disturbing the peace…

Next week I am going to do a trip from Kingswear to Brixham

That’s a great trip, don’t forget to explore the caves and geology as you near Berry Head. 🙂

Are you paddling with Brixham Ibex by any chance?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘South Devon holiday. What bike to take?’ is closed to new replies.