• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by tomj.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • South Dales – recommend me an area / favourite routes
  • davros

I have the VP south dales book and have been up there camping a few times. Last year I camped near Austwick and rode the tour d’Ingleborough, and previously I’ve ridden routes around Malham, Pately Bridge/Appletreewick, Scarhouse reservoir, and Kettlewell/Litton.

I’d like to go up again for a weekend in June and I’m wondering which area to aim for to camp and ride for two good days of riding. I’m thinking this time I’ll take the hardtail as the full-suss seemed like overkill for the rides I’ve already done there.

What are you favourite routes in the area? Have I done the best rides? Should I get the north dales book and venture further?

Any advice would be appreciated!

whitestone
    Free Member

Long days, short days? Tour of Ingleborough about the right length? Full suss is definitely overkill for most of the stuff in the Dales, there’s a few short tech sections but mostly it’s about old estate and cart tracks. The VP north Dales guide is worth getting.

Sticking with the south Dales: there’s a route in the VP book (p123) starting at Stainforth that heads over to Littondale that’s a decent ride, you could extend it slightly by taking the southern bit of the Settle Loop over Stockdale Lane down to Settle.

The circuit of Penyghent is OK

There’s lots of tracks in the triangle formed by Hetton, Malham Tarn and Kilnsey

You can stitch together routes 3 & 12 to give a short and very sharp route

North Dales: we did one yesterday as a figure of eight starting from Castle Bolton to Carperby down Wensleydale then up and round in to Apedale then Harkerside Moor above Swaledale before dropping back in to Apedale and down to Castle Bolton – about 40Km. Again a stitching together of a couple of the VP routes.

Swaledale is definitely a good base for the northern Dales. There’s been routes mentioned on here but also ask at the Dales Bike Centre in Fremington (nr Reeth) for recommendations.

From the DBC go up Fremington Edge and over to Hurst, take the BW that heads back west and down to Langthwaite, BW up towards Surrender Bridge, up on to Great Pinseat and over to Gunnerside mines, round towards Barfe End then cut back and down towards Gunnerside then round to Crackpot, Summer Lodge and up on to the fell road. Round Harkerside Moor (ask Stu where the Pipeline Descent is) and follow BWs eastward to Grinton and then the DBC.

davros

Thanks whitestone. Yes, probably one big day out and then perhaps a less exhausting one for day 2. I think I may have ridden parts of the Stainforth to Littondale ride previously, but not much of it, so that looks like a good option.

Is number 16 (Horton, Langstrothdale, Horse Head and Foxup) a decent ride (if that’s not the circuit of penyghent you mentioned)?

I think I’ll stick to the south dales this time then perhaps get the north book for my next trip.

thecaptain
    Free Member

For a decent day out our favourite is probably Settle to Littondale (lunch in Queens Arms at Litton or Tennants Arms in Kilnsey) and back – there are a few different routes you can take (inc: tour of PyG). Options for going further if you want.

tomj
    Free Member

For a shorter day out I rather like the route around Grassington – number 15 in the book. Not massively technical but with good variety and some fun fast bits. Only variation I do is usually to start in Threshfield and then from the Winterburn Reservoir head back up to Threshfield Moor and go down the first climb. For some reason I’ve never liked the section behind the quarry.

A good variant on the Tpur D Ingleborough adds in a great descent. From the top of the climb from Selside at Cam End don’t head straight down to Ribblehead – it’s a boring track used by the forest lorries now. Instead turn right up the hill. Shortly after it turns to Tarmac look for the Pennine Bridleway to your left. It’s a new upgraded track, fast, fun descent down to the B road at Newby Head. To avoid the main road you head straight over on the Dent road and a Bridleway soon leads back to Ribbleshead.

If you pick a base, Wharfedale or Ribblesdale you’ll find plenty of riding for a few days with minimal driving. Dales roads aren’t always fast and say Settle to Grassington doesn’t look far but takes a surprisingly long time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘South Dales – recommend me an area / favourite routes’ is closed to new replies.