Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Sounds like a good idea- buy bike lights or get a fine
  • bartyp
    Free Member

Had a chat with a feller in the local fishmongers, who asked me what I thought of this idea:

The police carry sets of basic bike lights in their cars/a bag. If they stop anyone for riding without lights, to give them the option of either buying a set of lights there and then, or get a (much higher price) fine.

Personally I think it’s a great idea. They could then carry on riding safely, rather than copping a fine (which takes up a lot of resources to chase up etc), and would then at least have a set of lights on their bike.

What do you think of this? Pros? Cons? Any issues?

ads678

Can’t see the police wanting to carry a load of bike lights around with them. But I have seen initiatives where they have set up a stand in Leeds city centre and offered cyclists a free bike check, and decent locks at half price along with registering their bikes on a data base.

So something similar for bike lights could be good.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What else could the police carry to help out hapless individuals? Keys, jackets, umbrellas, etc, etc.

I get your point but it’s not the job of the police to act as a shop for idiots to buy stuff.

You’re not really looking at this from a wider perspective are you.

sillyoldman

So bike shops are getting squeezed by online retailers, direct to consumer brands, supermarkets, and now potentially coppers too?

scotroutes

When I worked at The Bike Chain in Edinburgh we had some older light sets that we would carry around with us while commuting, offering them – free – to anyone we saw without lights.

You know that phrase “you can’t give them away”? Most folk just were not interested as it meant they’d have to buy batteries at some point, or just said they’d be nicked as they couldn’t be arsed taking them off the bikes when parked.

wwaswas

I can see bike shops *loving* that, “Nah mate I’ll get them off the Police for half what you charge if they ever bother to stop me”.

scotroutes

spare tyres (and a fitting service) for any motor vehicles they might stop? A full range of bulbs?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I thought somewhere had actually done this?

wwaswas

Next time suggest the Police carry round some nice bits of fish they can sell cheap in case they see anyone who’s only got chips 😉

bartyp
    Free Member

I’m looking at it from the perspective of promoting road safety, educating people, providing an alternative to the normal bureaucratic route, and helping prevent future offences, and even possibly injury or death. Not sure I need to look at it from a ‘wider’ perspective really.

I can see bike shops *loving* that, “Nah mate I’ll get them off the Police for half what you charge if they ever bother to stop me”.

So you charge full RRP for them.

You know that phrase “you can’t give them away”? Most folk just were not interested as it meant they’d have to buy batteries at some point, or just said they’d be nicked as they couldn’t be arsed taking them off the bikes when parked.

But you weren’t acting in a legal capacity; you didn’t have the authority to offer them a choice between buying some lights, and copping a much larger fine. So, not quite the same, although I do see your point.

Next time suggest the Police carry round some nice bits of fish they can sell cheap in case they see anyone who’s only got chips

Have you ever considered a career as a comedian?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m looking at it from the perspective of promoting road safety, educating people, providing an alternative to the normal bureaucratic route, and helping prevent future offences, and even possibly injury or death. Not sure I need to look at it from a ‘wider’ perspective really.

A wider perspective as in the police have lots to do, selling lights to cyclists isn’t one of them.

bartyp
    Free Member

You’re not quite getting this, Gary M. I’ll give you a little more time to think about it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I get it, in my opinion it’s not a workable solution, police officers in general wouldn’t be keen on the idea, I don’t need any more time to agree with you. Thanks anyway.

Out of interest OP what are the statistics on police fining people riding bikes without lights?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Road Safety Objective – get cyclists using lights.

Method – 1) – spend x amount of time fining them for not using lights.

2) – spend x amount of time fining them or let them buy some
    lights instead.

For the same amount of time 2) might result in more cyclists using lights.

What’s the problem?

ninfan
    Free Member

The police could carry round flamethrowers and set cyclists without lights on fire

That way they would be clearly illuminated and no longer pose a danger to road safety.

#winning

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

One of the local bike groups did it at a busy London junction last year, gave them away to those without lights then and there, think they’d pooled a stock from some local bike shops.

I think the better idea is that a local shop does this with a stand near a busy junction and either gives away a cheap set or sells at vastly reduced cost. It would be / could be great publicity.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What’s the problem?

The problem is the police have a wider remit than just looking after cyclists. Should they carry spare tyres in case they stop a vehicle with a tyre below the legal limit, should they carry various bulbs for vehicles, should they carry helmets for the motorcyclists that may not wear a helmet. You know so they educate and sell things, rather than fine, to other members of the public doing all sorts of other stuff.

The bigger picture means look at everything the police do, give everyone the opportunity to put right their wrongs. It’s not all about cyclists you know.

If someone is stupid enough to not know they need lights when it’s dark then they deserve a fine.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Bike lights are widely available and cheep to buy/maintain. People who ride bikes should be responsible for their own safety.

nickjb
    Free Member

People who ride bikes should be responsible for their own safety.

That would be nice. I’d much rather the police facilitated that by getting the idiot drivers who are responsible for the vast majority of cyclist deaths and injuries off the roads. A lack lights has not be proved to be a major safety factor. Unfortunately it does act as a bit of poster boy for some drivers. “I saw a cyclist without lights, I saw a cyclist run a red light, I saw a cyclist on the pavement so they’re all idiots and beneath me and deserving of my contempt”

Gary_M
    Free Member

A lack lights has not be proved to be a major safety factor.

So no point in such an initiative then.

Unfortunately it dies act as a bit of poster boy for some drivers. “I saw a cyclist without lights, I saw a cyclist run a red light, I saw a cyclist on the pavement so they’re all idiots and beneath me and deserving of my contempt”

I completely agree, cyclists need to obey the rules of the road. That includes having lights if required.

nickjb
    Free Member

So no point in such an initiative then

it’s patching up rather than solving the problem.

davidjey
    Free Member

Next time suggest the Police carry round some nice bits of fish they can sell cheap in case they see anyone who’s only got chips

Have you ever considered a career as a comedian?[/quote]

Well it made me LOL.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve seen initiatives like this, which is fine as a one off publicity push, but I also see cars driving without lights on my commute far more often than cyclists (to be fair I see more cars that bikes on my commute). Should the police also be trained to know how to teach every driver to operate their lights?
    Would the cheap lights sold actually be worth having? In the past I’ve seen police cycling with illegal lighting on their bikes (before the law changed on flashing lights being allowed).

nickjb
    Free Member

cyclists need to obey the rules of the road

as do motorists. The difference is the motorists not obeying the rules kill 100s of people every year. There was a recent report that stated the recent rise in ksi was due to a reduction in policing. That is where resources should go IMO. Not making the victims a bit harder to victimise.

perchypanther
    Free Member

What if the cyclist doesn’t have any money on him?
    When I go out for a local ride I don’t take any money with me. Why would I?
    Am I to be denied the option to purchase these cheap lights (They should be called Po-lites ) and forced to pay an exorbitant fine as a result?
    Are the Po-Po going to extend me favourable credit terms?

Gary_M
    Free Member

as do motorists

Obviously, that’s a give and I didn’t suggest otherwise, but the op was about giving cyclists special dispensation. But that’s a whole different discussion.

ransos
    Free Member

but the op was about giving cyclists special dispensation.

Motorists get special dispensation with speed awareness courses.

ransos
    Free Member

What if the cyclist doesn’t have any money on him?

The solution in Bristol was to ticket the cyclists, but cancel the fine if they turn up at a police station with lights fitted.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Motorists get special dispensation with speed awareness courses.

And your point is?

benp1

Natural selection would be the normal approach, but that argument doesn’t work well in the court (and the driver would probably feel fairly guilty too)

Still shocked how many people I see without any form of visibility device – lights, reflectors etc. Just. Plain. Stupid.

TiRed

Was done (sort of) in Oxford for years. First week clocks change the Police will be on Magdalen bridge. Issue a fine and have it cancelled when cyclist comes back to the station bearing some lights (and presumably a receipt). Simples.

Never affected me and my Two-wheeled Christmas tree.

nickjb
    Free Member

Still shocked how many people I see without any form of visibility device – lights, reflectors etc. Just. Plain. Stupid

I think a big part of the problem is the differing levels of awareness and visibility. On a bike you are pretty aware of you surroundings and can happily cycle around a lit town being clearly able to see everything lit up or otherwise. In a car you so disconnected and visibility is reduced by bits of car, glare, minor imperfections and dirt on the windscreen. Unless you do both its hard to empathise so you get the “how could you not see me!?” from the cyclists and the “look at this idiot dressed like a ninja” from the motorists.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m of the opinion it’s the individuals issue whether they have lights or not, it’s for them to abide by the Law (or not) and face the consequences, or not.

Selling lights isn’t a solution.

bobbyspangles

some of you are well mencap.

On a minor scale, I am involved with the organisation giving these lights away and how can it be a bad ting?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I am involved with the organisation giving these lights away and how can it be a bad ting?

And how is that the same as the police packing their bags or vehicle boot with bike lights? If you think an organization educating cyclists and the police doing a lights for fines deal then you must be stupid.

ransos
    Free Member

And your point is?

There is a precedent, and cyclists are not being treated more favourably.

stumpy01

When Aldi last had their £2.99 packs of lights I considered buying a few sets to keep in the car & give to people that I see riding with no lights on as a gift.

Didn’t do it, but wish I had now. I will keep an eye out for their next cycle specials and nab a couple of sets. People can always refuse or shout & swear at me, but it might make a difference.

bobbyspangles

Not sure I understand your rhetoric Gary, are umbrellas now law? I was led to believe the having a front white light and a rear red light is the law, whereas your suggestion that police carry umbrellas, keys etc sounds stupid to me but I could be way off here.
    The Police currently help us by marking bikes to reduce bike crime, increase returns of stolen goods-we also hand out lights at the same time-this initiative will be a simple extension of this.

cookeaa

What else could the police carry to help out hapless individuals? Keys, jackets, umbrellas, etc, etc.
    I get your point but it’s not the job of the police to act as a shop for idiots to buy stuff.

I’d disagree it’s actually quite a “Big picture” idea, Police actually trying to deliver a preventative measure, rather than passing out fines and turning up later to help peel another moron off the road…

I think a fine should apply regardless, if part of that fine went directly to funding a set of lights then even better IMO.

Of course this assumes they bother pulling unlit cyclists… How often do the rozzers really bother anymore?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Sounds like a good idea- buy bike lights or get a fine’ is closed to new replies.