Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Sound proofing walls
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

So, we’ve just moved into our hew semi-detached house and we had hoped that being a 1920’s build the walls separating us from our neighbours would have been substantial enough to provide reasonable sound proofing. Sadly that’s not the case.

It’s not that our neighbours have proved to be especially noisy but we may as well all be in one giant open plan house given the way that noise travels through the walls.

It’s pretty unpleasant and undoubtedly equally so for them, so does anyone have any thoughts or advice on sound proofing walls. There is a wealth of info on the web about it with hundreds of mixed and opposing views on the best ways to do it so wondered if anyone here had had any success with a particular means to sound proofing?

cinnamon_girl

You have my sympathies. I used to hear the couple next door having sex and their flippin’ screaming baby sounded as though it was in my house. 😯

Do a search on here, this topic has been covered before. Good luck with finding a solution.

sandwicheater

Descent thread on this last month;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/party-wall-soundproofing

End terrace here and similar issues. Not made a desicion on how best to mitigate it.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have designed a few offices inside noisy factories and it’s not easy or cheap. There are two types of sound. Airborne and impact. You will struggle in a house to stop impact as it involves stopping sound transmitting through the building fabric. This normally has to be designed into a building and can be hard to achieve on an existing building. Airborne can be reduced by insulating the walls but it must be done properly otherwise you will be wasting your time and money.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Sound proofing walls’ is closed to new replies.