Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sound Bars – what do I know?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Been tasked by the MiL to source a Sound Bar for a Samsung LED TV, budget is around £150 so found this…

Samsung HW E350

…which I thought would be a reasonable one – ie. surely it’ll be controllable by the Samsung TV remote for ease, I thought? Anyone got any experience of this or similar? The reviews are hardly 100% amazing and around this price point there doesn’t seem to be a wealth of decent options.

ANY intel at all appreciated, I know there are a couple of other threads on SoundBars but the budgets discussed on those were a bit higher IIRC. TIA.

munkster
    Free Member

Indeed, nothing in there for my budget however…

speckledbob
    Free Member

I bought the Samsung HW E450 from PC warehouse last weekend for £250. Took it straight back the next day utter shite. For £250 its a very poor sound. Prefer the sound of the tele itself. It may poor, but it’s not 250 quid and poor.

Edit. What do you want it for, music, films?
    The problem with Samsung teles is they only have an optical out. I,ve been looking at dac after my dissapointment.

chaos

Might be worth finding out if the remote volume control will also control the headphone socket output.

If so, there’s a wealth of fairly decent PC speakers that would do the trick.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Got Panasonic sound bar. Works great has IPhone Blue ray HD and wireless woofer. Looks good without wires showing.

Vinnyc
    Free Member

All the Samsung ones bar the 550 are poor, all have a tendency to vibrate. I’m running a Bose companion 5, so much better and easy adjustable bass

CaptJon
    Free Member

munkster – Member
    Indeed, nothing in there for my budget however…

The prices are RRP – i’d expect most to be lower than quoted.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The problem with Samsung teles is they only have an optical out. I,ve been looking at dac after my dissapointment.

Most surround sound boxes will do Optical in (certainly the sony ones do) I run my PC out through one and it’s great. Have a look down richer sounds or John Lewis and see what they have.

crispo
    Free Member

Chaos + 1

We’ve had some Hardon Kardon soundsticks plugged into ours for the last few years and the sounds great. Can easily be unplugged from telly and swapped to iPod or laptop for music listening. Think you can get them for less than £100 now too!

BlobOnAStick

I have the cheapest Yahamaha one (£125ish iirc).

The sound is much better than the Samsung telly it’s plugged into and therefore I’m very happy. It has a repeater IR function so if the soundbar obscures the TV IR sensor it will still work, but has a separate remote to the telly.

At 125 it’s never going to set the world alight, but what does your MiL want it for?

andymc06
    Free Member

+1 for Yamaha. I have the YAS101. Was £219 when it came out. Probably cheaper now. Very good for the price. Built in sub woofer so neat and tidy.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

RicherSounds would be my first port of call for what you’re after – but as also suggested, there are lots of decent computer speakers that could be ok too, if she doesn’t mind 2 small speakers either side of the tv.

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks all for feedback (unexpectedly off the forum since last night!) – she wants the sound bar mainly because it’ll be “neat” (am getting the impression they can sit under the front of the TV?) and hopefully not a faff to set up or use (ie. one box).

She wants it for just watching the TV, ie. films and soaps!

Will digest the info and see what I can find, cheers.

munkster
    Free Member

In case anyone was interested (you never know!) I ended up going for what I think is a halfway house: Toshiba SBM1W.

MiL seems quite happy with it, the soundbars all seemed to be designed for much bigger (and wall mounted) TVs and this is much more compact but seems to pack a decent punch with its separate woofer. Got it for £130 if you do a Google search…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sound Bars – what do I know?’ is closed to new replies.